Thermodynamics B/C

Locked
User avatar
Pizzacats
Member
Member
Posts: 19
Joined: November 14th, 2017, 12:17 pm
Division: B
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by Pizzacats » January 18th, 2018, 10:45 am

Do any of you guys know how long we get to take the test? The rule book didn’t say.
My signature is my signature

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4261
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse
Has thanked: 134 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by Unome » January 18th, 2018, 11:03 am

Pizzacats wrote:Do any of you guys know how long we get to take the test? The rule book didn’t say.
It definitely does say. Per rule 4.l, at least 20 minutes (which could mean anywhere from 20 minutes to, say, 45 minutes - depends on the length of the sessions at that tournament and number of teams per session, as well as how adept the event officials are).
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

bt03
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: September 19th, 2017, 5:12 pm
Division: B
Location: From the city that never sleeps.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by bt03 » January 19th, 2018, 1:53 pm

WhatScience? wrote:
bt03 wrote:Practice tests are great and all.
That is, when you find one that is out of the world to a normal physics student and then one which is relatively comparable to a physics/chemistry student that knows gas laws and basic thermodynamics.

TL;DR: Who can suggest a practice test that is reasonable for the 2018 B Division?
I can suggest tests..the thing is, you will have no chance taking them just using what you learned in your middle school science class...that's just not the way it works..you have to study thermodynamics first...then you can take tests
I mean, I learned some thermodynamics. Those suggestions would be helpful, thanks!
Random Fact 1: Water isn't wet. You can get wet by water, but water doesn't make water wet.
Random Fact 2: Is fire hot? Fire makes things hot, but can fire make fire hotter?

User avatar
WhatScience?
Member
Member
Posts: 395
Joined: July 16th, 2017, 4:03 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by WhatScience? » January 19th, 2018, 3:32 pm

bt03 wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:
bt03 wrote:Practice tests are great and all.
That is, when you find one that is out of the world to a normal physics student and then one which is relatively comparable to a physics/chemistry student that knows gas laws and basic thermodynamics.

TL;DR: Who can suggest a practice test that is reasonable for the 2018 B Division?
I can suggest tests..the thing is, you will have no chance taking them just using what you learned in your middle school science class...that's just not the way it works..you have to study thermodynamics first...then you can take tests
I mean, I learned some thermodynamics. Those suggestions would be helpful, thanks!
A few pages back (maybe more) someone listed the topics in their binder

19sawickin
Member
Member
Posts: 50
Joined: April 16th, 2015, 7:38 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by 19sawickin » January 20th, 2018, 11:14 am

Can we seal the edge of the lid of the thermo device with tape after putting the lid on while leaving the hole in the middle open? I'm specifically referencing rule 4.d I believe.

User avatar
Alex-RCHS
Member
Member
Posts: 536
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:46 pm
Division: C
State: NC
Location: Raleigh, NC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by Alex-RCHS » January 20th, 2018, 11:23 am

19sawickin wrote:Can we seal the edge of the lid of the thermo device with tape after putting the lid on while leaving the hole in the middle open? I'm specifically referencing rule 4.d I believe.
Of course this is not an official clarification, but I see no reason why not. The 1.5cm hole in the middle is the key lid restriction (and the 15 cm limit and the 12cm depth).
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022

User avatar
Justin72835
Member
Member
Posts: 175
Joined: June 25th, 2017, 7:06 am
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by Justin72835 » January 22nd, 2018, 9:15 pm

Alex-RCHS wrote:
19sawickin wrote:Can we seal the edge of the lid of the thermo device with tape after putting the lid on while leaving the hole in the middle open? I'm specifically referencing rule 4.d I believe.
Of course this is not an official clarification, but I see no reason why not. The 1.5cm hole in the middle is the key lid restriction (and the 15 cm limit and the 12cm depth).
I agree with Alex-RCHS.

On the same topic, has anyone else had a ton of trouble with heat escaping from this top hole? I've seen massive drops in temperature when this hole is completely open compared to when it's semi-plugged.
"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings."


University of Texas at Austin '23
Seven Lakes High School '19

BasuSiddha23
Member
Member
Posts: 36
Joined: March 29th, 2017, 2:48 pm
Division: B
State: PA
Location: Bollywood
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by BasuSiddha23 » January 23rd, 2018, 11:10 am

Justin72835 wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:
19sawickin wrote:Can we seal the edge of the lid of the thermo device with tape after putting the lid on while leaving the hole in the middle open? I'm specifically referencing rule 4.d I believe.
Of course this is not an official clarification, but I see no reason why not. The 1.5cm hole in the middle is the key lid restriction (and the 15 cm limit and the 12cm depth).
I agree with Alex-RCHS.

On the same topic, has anyone else had a ton of trouble with heat escaping from this top hole? I've seen massive drops in temperature when this hole is completely open compared to when it's semi-plugged.
I am facing the same problem of mass amounts of heat escaping from the water because of the open hole at the top.
Eagle View MS (2017-2019)

vjindal
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: January 16th, 2016, 3:34 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by vjindal » January 23rd, 2018, 3:48 pm

Anyone know the top device scores at MIT? I heard some top teams went for ice bonus
2019:
Mousetrap
Wright Stuff
Sounds

MIT 2018:
Heli: 1st
Mousetrap: 6th

--- Helicopters --- https://youtu.be/nn-x44gB0oA
--- Robot Arm --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmHcG-bar7w&t=76s
--- Wind Power --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=603F7vPUbrg&t=34s

arv101
Member
Member
Posts: 108
Joined: September 29th, 2016, 5:12 pm
Division: B
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by arv101 » January 23rd, 2018, 5:42 pm

How close are you guys getting to your actual final temperature with predictions at competitions? Some people are like 0.2 degrees off whereas others are 10-15 degrees off?
What did the thermometer say to the graduated cylinder?
"You may have graduated, but I have many degrees"

Locked

Return to “2018 Lab Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest