Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by CookiePie1 »

Just got an idea, but I don't know if it's allowed,

Are you allowed to cover the beaker and poke a hole in it after you receive hot water from the supervisor? Does it violate the rules?
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
MattChina
Division: B
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by MattChina »

CookiePie1 wrote:Just got an idea, but I don't know if it's allowed,

Are you allowed to cover the beaker and poke a hole in it after you receive hot water from the supervisor? Does it violate the rules?
As long as there is an open hole that remains throughout the testing period, I believe you should be fine.
2019 events: Water Quality, Battery Buggy, Elastic Launch Glider, Density Lab, Circuit Lab, Thermodynamics
R.C Murphy Co-Captain
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Team member
kinghong1970

Post by kinghong1970 »

Rule 3e
The hole must remain open and unobstructed during the competition.
so you can not cover the hole after inserting thermometer...
but as to whether you can poke the hole there or at home, i don't see any benefits of trying to poke a hole at the tournament...

any reason why you don't want to have this done in a more "controlled" environment with access to your tool of choice?
Yackback
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by Yackback »

CookiePie1 wrote:Just got an idea, but I don't know if it's allowed,

They would take off during impound and ask you to make it then. You would probably be tier 2'd for construction violations since you have to have a 1.5 cm diameter hole
Stony Brook Science Olympiad 2018-
JoeyC
State: TX

Post by JoeyC »

Just asking, but I don't actually see any point or strategic value in doing this; it doesn't give you an upper edge in pretty much anyway.
Cutting to the chase:

What is your cause and reason behind wishing to attempt this?
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

JoeyC wrote: What is your cause and reason behind wishing to attempt this?
My mom said that it might contain more heat if I cover the beaker right after they pour hot water, so I was just asking if it was against the rules.

Also, to be perfectly honest, with my design, the beaker is "covered" even if I don't add an extra layer of film. So that being said, I probably won't do it.

Thanks for asking though.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Justin72835
State: TX

Post by Justin72835 »

CookiePie1 wrote:
JoeyC wrote: What is your cause and reason behind wishing to attempt this?
My mom said that it might contain more heat if I cover the beaker right after they pour hot water, so I was just asking if it was against the rules.

Also, to be perfectly honest, with my design, the beaker is "covered" even if I don't add an extra layer of film. So that being said, I probably won't do it.

Thanks for asking though.
To be honest, I doubt that proctors would allow you to do something like this. Most will tell you before the event starts to either make the hole larger or lose a couple points on your build score.
"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings."

University of Texas at Austin '23
Seven Lakes High School '19
kinghong1970

Post by kinghong1970 »

your mom is right, it would help in heat retention... but the rules state that the hole must remain unobstructed during the testing... so it'll have to come off.
bt03

Post by bt03 »

A little question on the interpretation on the rules.
Our ES was nice to give us our final actual temperature and how off we were from our prediction score.
Our team got about 2 degrees off from the actual. Another of our school's team was 0 degrees off from their actual (beyond spectacular IMO). Both of our heat retention was solid, about a 10 degrees drop on both from 65.
Another team was also spot-on on their predictions (man, is the event dumb luck?), but heat retention was slightly higher (about 15 degrees, still good).
Test was relatively easy, so no comment there. (That is something I will never find myself saying given how astronomically impossible those practice tests were for a B divisioner).
That team with the spot-on prediction and 15 degree drop ended up placing better than the team with the lesser degree drop.
So, is the event no longer a competition in insulation and rather on prediction?
I'd tried screwing with the numbers according to the score formula, but it seems in favor of the lower HRF and better PS. Quite strange.

TL;DR: How does a team with a high PS and low HRF score better than a team with a high PS and high HRF?

Side Note: Props to ES for running the event. It is in fact probably a nightmare to run the event, as the ES originally stated 75 mL at 80, but upon pouring, the temperature dropped 20 degrees in a 25 degree room (it was sweltering in there).
Last edited by bt03 on March 3rd, 2018, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Random Fact 1: Water isn't wet. You can get wet by water, but water doesn't make water wet.
Random Fact 2: Is fire hot? Fire makes things hot, but can fire make fire hotter?
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

bt03 wrote: So, is the event no longer a competition in insulation and rather on prediction?
I'd tried screwing with the numbers according to the score formula, but it seems in favor of the lower HRF and better PS. Quite strange.

TL;DR: How does a team with a high PS and low HRF score better than a team with a high PS and high HRF?
From a simplistic standpoint, yes the focus is more on prediction vs. performance. Keep in mind this is a physics committee event, so we have a general philosophy of ensuring events include both theory and practice. That's why the written test is worth so many points. Note it's perfectly acceptable in our minds for a team that aces the written test and completely bombs the device testing to rank higher than a team that does mediocre on both.

If you look at the rules from past seasons, you'll note that we used to prohibit a lot of types of materials from the devices. We made the deliberate change to allow virtually any material now, but have the scoring reward prediction more than performance. This ensure that the competition doesn't end up being a race to spend more and more money on exotic materials.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Return to “2018 Lab Events”