Thermodynamics B/C

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by chalker »

TheChiScientist wrote:Do you guys think that there will be a rule change for thermo next year that is major?
Yes;)

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
TheChiScientist
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by TheChiScientist »

chalker wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:Do you guys think that there will be a rule change for thermo next year that is major?
Yes;)
:?:
I wonder if that means the build portion...
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

You could probably quite reasonably convert Thermo from a binder event to a two-sheets-of-paper event, and lose the trivia questions.
TheChiScientist

Oof. That would be bad for us as we literally have a 5-inch thermo binder... :( :roll:
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

TheChiScientist wrote:Oof. That would be bad for us as we literally have a 5-inch thermo binder... :( :roll:
What do you put in five inches besides history
Riptide
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX
Has thanked: 0

Post by Riptide »

knightmoves wrote:You could probably quite reasonably convert Thermo from a binder event to a two-sheets-of-paper event, and lose the trivia questions.
I never really understood why all physics events have binders. We rarely used our hovercraft binder at all, except for maybe a few fluid dynamic questions. Asking trivial questions such as history and such seems pretty pointless and is the only purpose that binders serve for events like thermo. Wish they would just take out history and make it a limited notes event.
UC Berkeley
Seven Lakes High School '19
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Riptide wrote:
knightmoves wrote:You could probably quite reasonably convert Thermo from a binder event to a two-sheets-of-paper event, and lose the trivia questions.
I never really understood why all physics events have binders. We rarely used our hovercraft binder at all, except for maybe a few fluid dynamic questions. Asking trivial questions such as history and such seems pretty pointless and is the only purpose that binders serve for events like thermo. Wish they would just take out history and make it a limited notes event.
Agreed.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Riptide wrote: I never really understood why all physics events have binders. We rarely used our hovercraft binder at all, except for maybe a few fluid dynamic questions. Asking trivial questions such as history and such seems pretty pointless and is the only purpose that binders serve for events like thermo. Wish they would just take out history and make it a limited notes event.
Let me provide some perspective on why we do this (with a caveat that other national committees have different opinions on this):

1. It reduces the burden on the event supervisors, as they don't have to be checking for extra pages or notes or debate whether 2 single sided sheets of paper pasted together are the same as 1 double sided sheet of paper.
2. It reduces the burden on the competitors, as they don't have to worry about using super small fonts to squeeze more information onto their notes or make judgment calls about what to include and what not to include
3. Contrary to your hypothesis about the reason being history, it pushes good event supervisors to create tests with more analysis and applied type questions instead of just reciting facts or history, as they know most teams will have the facts / history stuff in their binders.
4. It encourages teams to collect more information in advance of the event, which is somewhat correlated to actually studying and preparing for the event versus going in to it 'cold turkey'.
5. It mimics what happens in the real world, in that if a scientist or engineer is presented with a question they don't know the answer to, they'll try to use various resources to determine the answer instead of just guessing or skipping it altogether.

As a side note, we've been trying to put language in the rules limiting the scope of history / trivia type questions. I personally enjoy including them and think they are within the reasonable scope of knowledge of science and engineering, but I tend to be in the minority on the committee with regards to this.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

chalker wrote: As a side note, we've been trying to put language in the rules limiting the scope of history / trivia type questions. I personally enjoy including them and think they are within the reasonable scope of knowledge of science and engineering, but I tend to be in the minority on the committee with regards to this.
Except that the trivia questions are almost always pointless. Who cares what Sadi Carnot's full name was, or what liquid Newton used in his thermometer? The problem with history questions in an open book test is that they tend to be either something everyone has in their notes, or some irrelevant trivial detail. (It doesn't matter in precisely which year Carnot wrote Reflections.)

I like open book tests. I agree that a good open book test (where you have to understand the ideas rather than just look up the equation with the right symbols) is an ideal test. But open book trivia? What does that test?
TheChiScientist

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:Oof. That would be bad for us as we literally have a 5-inch thermo binder... :( :roll:
What do you put in five inches besides history
Information that can get 1st place at ISO state. That is classified. ;) :P (Mainly reference and 1/2 inch of history)
knightmoves wrote:
chalker wrote: As a side note, we've been trying to put language in the rules limiting the scope of history / trivia type questions. I personally enjoy including them and think they are within the reasonable scope of knowledge of science and engineering, but I tend to be in the minority on the committee with regards to this.
Except that the trivia questions are almost always pointless. Who cares what Sadi Carnot's full name was, or what liquid Newton used in his thermometer? The problem with history questions in an open book test is that they tend to be either something everyone has in their notes, or some irrelevant trivial detail. (It doesn't matter in precisely which year Carnot wrote Reflections.)

I like open book tests. I agree that a good open book test (where you have to understand the ideas rather than just look up the equation with the right symbols) is an ideal test. But open book trivia? What does that test?
Wow. Talk about easy trivia. I have seen history questions be a bit more... Profound.
Open book tests can give everyone the same advantage yet people that have a more profound understanding will be able to finish these tests faster and more accurately.

Return to “2018 Lab Events”