Thermodynamics B/C

TheChiScientist
Division: Grad
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by TheChiScientist »

Btw I have had instances were 150ml of 85 C water beats out 150ml of 80 C water. Is this normal.And yes conditions are near identical in both cases. :?:
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by CookiePie1 »

TheChiScientist wrote:Btw I have had instances were 150ml of 85 C water beats out 150ml of 80 C water. Is this normal.And yes conditions are near identical in both cases. :?:
It honestly depends on your device. Also, if you don't let your device cool down between tests, it will become inaccurate.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
TheChiScientist

Yea I guess it is strange so ill have to re run these tests. Doesn't help that I am in ISO were it is freezing all S.O season long. (also why we will NEVER do geocaching yet it somehow is a trial event every year :roll: )
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
kendreaditya
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by kendreaditya »

CookiePie1 wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:So how many graphs do you think are good to have?
You should create a graph for every variable range you test (volume, temperature, etc.)
Actually, you could just make tables based on volume that run for about 150 mins each. This way you can use the table to predict the temperature more accurately and easily.
TheChiScientist

kendreaditya wrote:
CookiePie1 wrote:
You should create a graph for every variable range you test (volume, temperature, etc.)
Actually, you could just make tables based on volume that run for about 150 mins each. This way you can use the table to predict the temperature more accurately and easily.
WAIT A MIN 150 MINS???? Explain this plz :? :? :? :? :?
chopchpp
State: OH

Post by chopchpp »

TheChiScientist wrote:
kendreaditya wrote:
CookiePie1 wrote:
This is all based on my assumption of what kendreaditya is trying to say, it may be totally wrong and misinterpreted

kendreaditya is saying that suppose you have a 90C beaker and you run it for the first 40 minutes. It reaches 70C (just estimating). Then you essentially have a 70C beaker that you can run for another 40 minutes (and so on and so on). This would obviously work better if you had a really good heat retention as you could test more temperature without interruption. Running for 150 minutes also ensures you cover the full time interval (20-40 min Div C)
My issue, however, with this is that in my experience, the largest drop in temperature is when the hot beaker is first placed into a room temperature box. Within the first 5 minutes, the temperatures will equilibrate (at least somewhat), the beaker quickly giving up heat to the box (Newtons law of Cooling). From there the box and beaker will continue to lose heat, but at the same temperature, and at a much slower rate. If we run something for 150 minutes, we will essential cut out the first 5 minutes where the box and beaker rapidly reach equilibrium, and as this time period is the largest temperature drop, it will greatly influence the final temperatures.
Going to the example above, upon reaching 40 minutes and having a 70C beaker, the box will also be at around 70C, thus very little heat is leaving the beaker into the box. However at competition, a 70C beaker will be placed in a room temperature box (around 24C) and it will lose around 5-8C from simply heating the box up to an equilibrium temperature. Assuming everything else is perfect, your prediction going off the 150min graph would end up significantly off the actual value.
JonB
Coach
Coach
State: FL

Post by JonB »

chopchpp wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:
kendreaditya wrote:
My issue, however, with this is that in my experience, the largest drop in temperature is when the hot beaker is first placed into a room temperature box. Within the first 5 minutes, the temperatures will equilibrate (at least somewhat), the beaker quickly giving up heat to the box (Newtons law of Cooling).

100% agree with this- well said!
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

It really varies. You may use tables instead of graphs, for one. Or, you might simply write down the functions you develop based on data and plug in variables into that function on a calculator when you get to competition. But for whatever you use -- graph, function, or table -- it's really up to you to decide how you will estimate the temperature and what you will require.

I personally will be bringing about 50-100 tables/graphs/functions to competition, but I will only use one or two there.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

(Sorry for the double post)
chopchpp wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:
kendreaditya wrote:
This is all based on my assumption of what kendreaditya is trying to say, it may be totally wrong and misinterpreted

kendreaditya is saying that suppose you have a 90C beaker and you run it for the first 40 minutes. It reaches 70C (just estimating). Then you essentially have a 70C beaker that you can run for another 40 minutes (and so on and so on). This would obviously work better if you had a really good heat retention as you could test more temperature without interruption. Running for 150 minutes also ensures you cover the full time interval (20-40 min Div C)
My issue, however, with this is that in my experience, the largest drop in temperature is when the hot beaker is first placed into a room temperature box. Within the first 5 minutes, the temperatures will equilibrate (at least somewhat), the beaker quickly giving up heat to the box (Newtons law of Cooling). From there the box and beaker will continue to lose heat, but at the same temperature, and at a much slower rate. If we run something for 150 minutes, we will essential cut out the first 5 minutes where the box and beaker rapidly reach equilibrium, and as this time period is the largest temperature drop, it will greatly influence the final temperatures.
Going to the example above, upon reaching 40 minutes and having a 70C beaker, the box will also be at around 70C, thus very little heat is leaving the beaker into the box. However at competition, a 70C beaker will be placed in a room temperature box (around 24C) and it will lose around 5-8C from simply heating the box up to an equilibrium temperature. Assuming everything else is perfect, your prediction going off the 150min graph would end up significantly off the actual value.
To be more specific, the greater issue is the water losing heat to the beaker. That creates a very significant and not-instantaneous drop in temperature that will not be accounted for with the method described.

However, I'm not sure if that's actually what kendreaditya meant. I'm sure they will clarify soon.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
kendreaditya
State: PA

Post by kendreaditya »

Alex-RCHS wrote:(Sorry for the double post)
chopchpp wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote: WAIT A MIN 150 MINS???? Explain this plz :? :? :? :? :?

To be more specific, the greater issue is the water losing heat to the beaker. That creates a very significant and not-instantaneous drop in temperature that will not be accounted for with the method described.

However, I'm not sure if that's actually what kendreaditya meant. I'm sure they will clarify soon.
Sorry for the late response, think you got what I meant. However, on the last part, I was confused about how my prediction would be off. Since the probe that I use to measure the temperature of the beaker can collect data every second an create a table out of it, I just make the table a .csv, upload it to my calculator, and theirs my data. But at competitions, the given temperature always changes since heat is lost to the beaker. So I use the probe to measure the starting temperature of the beaker, then I see the corresponding time say at 28 min (in my data table on my calc). Then I add the time given at competition (for example, 40 min, 30 min, 25 min...in this case assume 30 min) and see the corresponding temperature data value for the minute, which will be 58 min.

I am really bad at explaining things!

This is an example dataset thats on my calc:

https://nofile.io/f/zQwTH4DArkt/Capture3.PNG

Return to “2018 Lab Events”