Anatomy and Physiology, Astronomy, and Disease Detectives
MIScioly1
Division: Grad
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by MIScioly1 »

Neruos73 wrote:Oof I hope they don't do calculus though but thanks for the heads up! :D
Calculus is strongly discouraged in SciOly and I too would never require it for a test. Though, underlying knowledge is certainly always helpful.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Executive Board
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Bold prediction: Thermo is going to center around insulating ice this year, not hot water.

(Yeah I know this probably isn't true but wouldn't it be cool?) Pun intended!
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
TheChiScientist
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by TheChiScientist »

Alex-RCHS wrote:Bold prediction: Thermo is going to center around insulating ice this year, not hot water.

That's actually smart! More ice retention would be a great way to test the build... But then again there would be issues with running the event... :(
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Alex-RCHS wrote:Bold prediction: Thermo is going to center around insulating ice this year, not hot water.

One issue might be slicing the ice so that it fits in the beaker though and has the perfect volume though. (If you use ice water, that'd work, but you wouldnt be able to adjust the temperature.)
JoeyC
State: TX

Post by JoeyC »

Yay!!! No more scalded fingers! (Remembers all the many, many, MANY, misrun regular thermo events last year)
Wait a second.................
TheChiScientist
State: IL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by TheChiScientist »

JoeyC wrote:

Yay!!! No more scalded fingers! (Remembers all the many, many, MANY, misrun regular thermo events last year)
Errr. You do know that ice can scald your fingers too right? (It's called ice burn) :D
Although this seems highly unlikely to occur as its to difficult to run. :(
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

TheChiScientist wrote:
JoeyC wrote:

Errr. You do know that ice can scald your fingers too right? (It's called ice burn) :D
Although this seems highly unlikely to occur as its to difficult to run. :(
Wouldn't that technically be frostbite? And you can get that kind of burn much quicker from dry ice than from normal ice.

Also, yeah, ice would be tons harder than hot water for this event. I mean, you could theoretically put a bunch of ice in the device and measure weight/mass of ice before and weight/mass of ice after, but think about it: ice is constantly melting, and since it's doing that, it's hard to get a good read on the mass. Also when ice melts, not only does it undergo a temperature change, it also undergoes a phase change, and there's a separate kind of enthalpy called latent heat, specifically heat of fusion, that must also be accounted for with that and is not measurable by thermometer because of the fact that it is not associated with temperature (in which that kind of enthalpy is called sensible heat). Plus, you lose time and thus more ice from making sure that you measure it properly, since you have to tare scales according to your measuring containers since you're obv not going to put the ice directly on the scale. I mean, conservation of mass still applies, but the density of ice < density of water, plus there are volume differences associated with it, also, ice doesn't come in the same forms from different sources (like for example, just like how your refrigerator may have different dispensing settings for "cubed" and "crushed" ice, you can buy nice cubed ice from the store and that would be different from the most likely much smaller "crushed" ice chunks you'd normally see in your chemistry facility coolers), and that's something that could inconsistently affect its behavior within your device (I mean you could develop more data charts to account for that but like....that's quite a bit more trouble) ... the list of potential issues you could encounter with using ice to measure the device's performance could go on and on and on, that list would probably be longer than a list of potential issues with using hot water instead. There are just so many factors to consider that it would be possibly a logistical nightmare for the supervisor, and also for the rule committee to work out all sorts of scenarios in which things could go wrong (right chalker?).
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!

Return to “2018 Lab Events”