Thermodynamics B/C

arv101
Division: B
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by arv101 »

I am meeting with my partner tomorrow so is it okay if I submit it pretty late tomorrow night? Is their a deadline for official scores to be submitted? Also thanks so much for organizing this! :)
What did the thermometer say to the graduated cylinder?
"You may have graduated, but I have many degrees"
WhatScience?
Division: C

Post by WhatScience? »

arv101 wrote:I am meeting with my partner tomorrow so is it okay if I submit it pretty late tomorrow night? Is their a deadline for official scores to be submitted? Also thanks so much for organizing this! :)
It's fine...I do need you to share your test to [email protected] says I do not have access
WhatScience?
Division: C

Post by WhatScience? »

So the write to enter thing was just something to get people to write the test...to encourage everyone to try and send me their scores to have a better ranking, I will be posting all the tests...trying to figure out how to do it now.
Alex-RCHS
Division: Grad
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

JoeyC wrote:Does anyone know if VIPs (Vacuum insulated plates) are any good? they cost a lot, but supposedly they match aerogel performance and
don't degrade due to water absorption (which allows for more consistent predictions). I would not use those for the main body (PURs w/ R- value of 10 instead), but I want to know if a vacuum plate would be worth it ( cause they're ~$40 a small panel),Thanks!
I think you mean a vacuum insulated panel, and I thought they were much more expensive than that.

I’m not sure if that degree of insulation is necessary, but I imagine it would work well.

Also, do you mean an R value per inch? I don’t think R-10 per inch is possible.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
arv101

Post by arv101 »

WhatScience? wrote:
arv101 wrote:I am meeting with my partner tomorrow so is it okay if I submit it pretty late tomorrow night? Is their a deadline for official scores to be submitted? Also thanks so much for organizing this! :)
It's fine...I do need you to share your test to [email protected] says I do not have access

Oh I think it is because I did it on a school account so can I just copy and paste them into a dm and send it to you?
arv101

Post by arv101 »

I know WhatScience kind of already said this but I just realized we could generate a lot of questions. I feel like "trading" takes too much time so if we do the exact same thing (like the mock test) just with more people we get more questions. The person running it should also submit questions also. Also go to
http://sciolytestexchange.freeforums.net/ for more.
mnparhy

Post by mnparhy »

chalker wrote:
retired1 wrote:Big problem : Time. For B it has a 5 min set up, a 30 min set or cool down time, 20 min for testing and typically there are 8 teams per period and it takes time to get the hot water to every time. That is very near the total time of each period. add in the ingress/egress of each set of teams and the supervisor has to review what is logged for each team.
Big problem!
Perhaps you aren't used to running this event in parallel? The typical way i recommend this event is as follows (let's assume 10 teams and 30 mins cooling time and a 50 minute time block):

0 - 5 mins: Get teams checked in, settled down
5 - 10 mins: 5 min device setup time
10 - 15 mins: in 30 second intervals, each team receives their hot water. I recommend the teams bring the beakers to the hot water source instead of the hot water being brought to the teams
15 - 20 mins: teams provide estimates, secure devices, etc
20 - 40 mins: cooling period, teams taking the test. Event supervisors go around room and insert thermometers into all the beakers
40 - 45 mins: in 30 second intervals, supervisor records temperatures for each team, teams can continue to take test if supervisor desires
45 - 50 mins: in 30 seconds intervals review results with teams / allow them to cleanup / leave

Obviously there are many variations possible, particularly the fact that most tournaments now use 60 min blocks, not 50 min blocks.
chalker wrote:
The recommendation I have is for the event supervisor to have enough thermometers to leave them in all the beakers (i.e. in the example I listed that would be 20 thermometers). Most school labs have tons of them sitting around so they aren't a big expense. That alleviates the time crunch regarding the 20 seconds wait period.
Nice suggestions, Chalker. Its easy to mess up the event. It will be great if a recommendation on how to run the event is posted in the sonic.org website as a guideline to event supervisors.
Alex-RCHS
Division: Grad
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

If the ES leaves the thermometers in, it will make it considerably harder for students to predict their scores because the thermometer will draw a significant amount of heat from the water. In my opinion, that should be avoided unless lack of time and/or volunteers necessitates it.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
Pizzacats
State: PA

Post by Pizzacats »

Hello Thermodynamics people! :D
My signature is my signature