Thermodynamics B/C

MacintoshJosh
Division: C
State: VA

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by MacintoshJosh »

WhatScience? wrote:key word, expensive

feels like this gives teams with a bigger budget too much of an edge...
YES! That's exactly how I feel, teams that have more money would just win.
arv101
Division: B
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by arv101 »

kendreaditya wrote:
BasuSiddha23 wrote:I hope this is okay to ask,

This is my first year of doing thermodynamics and I am just starting to experiment with different devices. What are some of the ending temperatures/scores anyone got from their device after 30 minutes? So far, the variables I've tested with so far are using 150 ml, starting at 90 C, no ice water, and for 30 minutes. I just want to see where I am and around where everyone has got, or maybe really good scores

By the way, my highest temperature is 63.3 degrees C
Why wouldn't it be a valid question?

This is also my first year doing thermodynamics. I am also getting similar results, in 40 mins I got 63.3 C. I am using aerogel along with aluminum foil to keep radiation from leaking. This may seem counter-intuitive by if you think about it, aerogel just keeps the conduction low, however aluminum conduction it, but since its a thin layer the conduction does not make a big difference, but the aluminum keeps the beaker warm form the conduction, this makes it so the aluminum is like a heat reservoir. I am pretty sure this is my thermal vacuum flasks are steal. :)

Also, I was thinking to put Argon gas in the beaker to keep convection from happening.

Good Luck BasuSiddha23! Hope you do well! ;)
Wait would we be allow to do that? And if the event supervisor asks to see your device and you have to take it out wouldn't it leak?
What did the thermometer say to the graduated cylinder?
"You may have graduated, but I have many degrees"
WhatScience?

Post by WhatScience? »

Honestly guys, is stuff like Aerogel even nessacary? You can get perfect heat retention (I have tried) without it. Just though to let you know that a good design can equal and even overcome splurging on aerogel.

SAVE YOUR MONEY
kendreaditya
State: PA

Post by kendreaditya »

WhatScience? wrote:Honestly guys, is stuff like Aerogel even nessacary? You can get perfect heat retention (I have tried) without it. Just though to let you know that a good design can equal and even overcome splurging on aerogel.

SAVE YOUR MONEY
I bought aerogel early in the year cause I was a noob so... also it's not that expensive ($20).

What design are you using?
WhatScience?

Post by WhatScience? »

kendreaditya wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:Honestly guys, is stuff like Aerogel even nessacary? You can get perfect heat retention (I have tried) without it. Just though to let you know that a good design can equal and even overcome splurging on aerogel.

SAVE YOUR MONEY
I bought aerogel early in the year cause I was a noob so... also it's not that expensive ($20).

Where did you buy your aerogel from?

As for my design...I don't feel comfortable posting the exact thing on the internet (just like in the build forums how nobody posts a winning design) however I can give you answers to any specific questions if you have them.
pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

1. Perfect heat retention is impossible bc it violates the second law of thermodynamics

2. It's one thing to see a design, it's another thing to figure out exactly how to replicate it. If designs are really SO GOOD enough and so complex enough that it would be IMPOSSIBLE for any other person to look at it and replicate the design, then there honestly isn't much to worry about with posting a picture of it. I mean, windu34 posted all his pics of some of his devices that he took to nationals and medaled with.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
kendreaditya

Post by kendreaditya »

WhatScience? wrote:
kendreaditya wrote:

SAVE YOUR MONEY

Where did you buy your aerogel from?

As for my design...I don't feel comfortable posting the exact thing on the internet (just like in the build forums how nobody posts a winning design) however I can give you answers to any specific questions if you have them.
Not to pressure you, but people do share their designs on the building forms. I did scrambler last year, placed 3rd at states. Why? because people shared their ideas and designs.

People do publish the winning designs:
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/The_Best_of_2017
shrewdPanther46

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

I <3 Windu34 lol. Such a great person...
WhatScience?

Post by WhatScience? »

Oh, well then. I use the box in a box design but keep it small. Because while a big device offers more insulation, it is harder to prevent holes in you insulation if using common materials. With the small space left, I just stuff it with stuff I find around my house that I think would be reasonably good insulation. Honestly, if any insulation is good enough, very little to no heat will escape. Obviously overtime, Aerogel will be better but for the short timeframe that is this competition, you should be fine with stuff you find around the house.

Good Luck! And I am not Joking!
kendreaditya

Post by kendreaditya »

WhatScience? wrote:Oh, well then. I use the box in a box design but keep it small. Because while a big device offers more insulation, it is harder to prevent holes in you insulation if using common materials. With the small space left, I just stuff it with stuff I find around my house that I think would be reasonably good insulation. Honestly, if any insulation is good enough, very little to no heat will escape. Obviously overtime, Aerogel will be better but for the short timeframe that is this competition, you should be fine with stuff you find around the house.

Good Luck! And I am not Joking!
What was the lid?

Return to “2018 Lab Events”