Thermodynamics B/C

Pizzacats
Division: B
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by Pizzacats »

Do any of you guys know how long we get to take the test? The rule book didn’t say.
My signature is my signature
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Pizzacats wrote:Do any of you guys know how long we get to take the test? The rule book didn’t say.
It definitely does say. Per rule 4.l, at least 20 minutes (which could mean anywhere from 20 minutes to, say, 45 minutes - depends on the length of the sessions at that tournament and number of teams per session, as well as how adept the event officials are).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
bt03

Post by bt03 »

WhatScience? wrote:
bt03 wrote:Practice tests are great and all.
That is, when you find one that is out of the world to a normal physics student and then one which is relatively comparable to a physics/chemistry student that knows gas laws and basic thermodynamics.

TL;DR: Who can suggest a practice test that is reasonable for the 2018 B Division?
I can suggest tests..the thing is, you will have no chance taking them just using what you learned in your middle school science class...that's just not the way it works..you have to study thermodynamics first...then you can take tests
I mean, I learned some thermodynamics. Those suggestions would be helpful, thanks!
Random Fact 1: Water isn't wet. You can get wet by water, but water doesn't make water wet.
Random Fact 2: Is fire hot? Fire makes things hot, but can fire make fire hotter?
WhatScience?
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by WhatScience? »

bt03 wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:
bt03 wrote:Practice tests are great and all.
That is, when you find one that is out of the world to a normal physics student and then one which is relatively comparable to a physics/chemistry student that knows gas laws and basic thermodynamics.

TL;DR: Who can suggest a practice test that is reasonable for the 2018 B Division?
I can suggest tests..the thing is, you will have no chance taking them just using what you learned in your middle school science class...that's just not the way it works..you have to study thermodynamics first...then you can take tests
I mean, I learned some thermodynamics. Those suggestions would be helpful, thanks!
A few pages back (maybe more) someone listed the topics in their binder
19sawickin

Post by 19sawickin »

Can we seal the edge of the lid of the thermo device with tape after putting the lid on while leaving the hole in the middle open? I'm specifically referencing rule 4.d I believe.
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

19sawickin wrote:Can we seal the edge of the lid of the thermo device with tape after putting the lid on while leaving the hole in the middle open? I'm specifically referencing rule 4.d I believe.
Of course this is not an official clarification, but I see no reason why not. The 1.5cm hole in the middle is the key lid restriction (and the 15 cm limit and the 12cm depth).
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
Justin72835
State: TX

Post by Justin72835 »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
19sawickin wrote:Can we seal the edge of the lid of the thermo device with tape after putting the lid on while leaving the hole in the middle open? I'm specifically referencing rule 4.d I believe.
Of course this is not an official clarification, but I see no reason why not. The 1.5cm hole in the middle is the key lid restriction (and the 15 cm limit and the 12cm depth).
I agree with Alex-RCHS.

On the same topic, has anyone else had a ton of trouble with heat escaping from this top hole? I've seen massive drops in temperature when this hole is completely open compared to when it's semi-plugged.
"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings."

University of Texas at Austin '23
Seven Lakes High School '19
BasuSiddha23

Post by BasuSiddha23 »

Justin72835 wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:
I agree with Alex-RCHS.

On the same topic, has anyone else had a ton of trouble with heat escaping from this top hole? I've seen massive drops in temperature when this hole is completely open compared to when it's semi-plugged.
I am facing the same problem of mass amounts of heat escaping from the water because of the open hole at the top.
Eagle View MS (2017-2019)
Cumberland Valley HS (2019-present)
vjindal
Division: C
State: NY

Post by vjindal »

Anyone know the top device scores at MIT? I heard some top teams went for ice bonus
2019:
Mousetrap
Wright Stuff
Sounds

MIT 2018:
Heli: 1st
Mousetrap: 6th

--- Helicopters --- https://youtu.be/nn-x44gB0oA
--- Robot Arm --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmHcG-bar7w&t=76s
--- Wind Power --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=603F7vPUbrg&t=34s
arv101
State: NJ

Post by arv101 »

How close are you guys getting to your actual final temperature with predictions at competitions? Some people are like 0.2 degrees off whereas others are 10-15 degrees off?
What did the thermometer say to the graduated cylinder?
"You may have graduated, but I have many degrees"

Return to “2018 Lab Events”