Write It Do It B/C

Polarrr
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Post by Polarrr »

russianolive wrote:Hey guys. For those of you who have done this before, do the event coordinators ever give the "doer" more supplies than the actual structure shown to the "writer" contains?
As people have said, yes this does happen. I would suggest describing the part in as much detail as possible. Some people choose to make a parts list to show which materials are going to be used, but this does take a lot of time.
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Skink »

I'm looking for a specific building toy; maybe someone out there knows what it is? It was used at my State tournament some years ago, so I'm predicting that it may get 'recycled' soon. They were colored blocks with a large stud on one side and holes in (all of?) the other faces, used to construct structures branching in three dimensions. I found something that looks like them on a foreign vendor but can't find them on Amazon or eBay.
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Skink wrote:I'm looking for a specific building toy; maybe someone out there knows what it is? It was used at my State tournament some years ago, so I'm predicting that it may get 'recycled' soon. They were colored blocks with a large stud on one side and holes in (all of?) the other faces, used to construct structures branching in three dimensions. I found something that looks like them on a foreign vendor but can't find them on Amazon or eBay.
If I'm thinking of the same thing, I think there's a picture of it in the Image Gallery. Not sure what the name is though.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Royalreter

Post by Royalreter »

Skink wrote:I'm looking for a specific building toy; maybe someone out there knows what it is? It was used at my State tournament some years ago, so I'm predicting that it may get 'recycled' soon. They were colored blocks with a large stud on one side and holes in (all of?) the other faces, used to construct structures branching in three dimensions. I found something that looks like them on a foreign vendor but can't find them on Amazon or eBay.
I believe you're talking about snap cubes? There are obviously variants of these but this seems to be the simplest model.
2017-2018 Events: Astronomy, Fermi Questions, Optics, WIDI
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Skink »

Yes, that's exactly it! Thank you. Eleven bucks with Prime shipping isn't bad at all...might get a few sets.
scioly2345
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by scioly2345 »

Im surprised this topic isnt very active, widi is my fav. Writers, any tips for other writers? With me i know its practice practice practice but i do way better on small 2d sheets of paper with intracite designs rather then big connecting 3d pieces.
2016-2019 Brother Joseph Fox Latin School
2020-2022 Kellenberg Memorial High School
2022 events - Bridge, Write It Do It, Wright Stuff
God Bless and Rest In Peace Len Joeris (Balsa Man)
“for the betterment of science”
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

scioly2345 wrote:Im surprised this topic isnt very active, widi is my fav. Writers, any tips for other writers? With me i know its practice practice practice but i do way better on small 2d sheets of paper with intracite designs rather then big connecting 3d pieces.
3d builds are the only thing you will see, so be prepared! Practice!
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
Adi1008
State: CA

Post by Adi1008 »

CookiePie1 wrote:
scioly2345 wrote:Im surprised this topic isnt very active, widi is my fav. Writers, any tips for other writers? With me i know its practice practice practice but i do way better on small 2d sheets of paper with intracite designs rather then big connecting 3d pieces.
3d builds are the only thing you will see, so be prepared! Practice!
While I think practicing with three dimensions is undoubtedly necessary, it's worth noting that two dimensional structures are relatively common as well. They usually involve drawing with pens/markers, layers of paper/cardboard, stickers, etc and can be quite tough
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
TheChiScientist

Post by TheChiScientist »

Ah yes these can be quite a pain so be ready for anything :|
A Science Olympian from 2015 - 2019 CLCSO Alumni
Medal Count:30
IL PPP/Mission Assistant State Supervisor.
CLC Div. B Tournament Director.
President of The Builder Cult.
"A true Science Olympian embraces a life without Science Olympiad by becoming a part of Science Olympiad itself"- Me
scioly2345
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by scioly2345 »

TheChiScientist wrote:Ah yes these can be quite a pain so be ready for anything :|
One time i had an impossible one when i first started widi and i accidentally wrote "octave angle" instead of "obtuse angle". Lemme say, that widi did not go well
2016-2019 Brother Joseph Fox Latin School
2020-2022 Kellenberg Memorial High School
2022 events - Bridge, Write It Do It, Wright Stuff
God Bless and Rest In Peace Len Joeris (Balsa Man)
“for the betterment of science”

Return to “2018 Lab Events”