Write It Do It B/C

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA

Write It Do It B/C

Postby bernard » August 31st, 2017, 12:20 pm

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

CVMSAvalacheStudent
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Write It Do It B/C

Postby CVMSAvalacheStudent » September 8th, 2017, 9:53 pm

Write It Do It shall be very interesting this year.
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs

ChocolateLove
State: PA

Postby ChocolateLove » December 14th, 2017, 5:57 pm

CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:Write It Do It shall be very interesting this year.

What makes you say that? The rules haven't changed that much. There are a few more bold terms added in now, but nothing crazy, like pictures being allowed or anything.
Alumni of 2016 Harriton Team

Froggie
Division: B

Postby Froggie » December 14th, 2017, 6:00 pm

ChocolateLove wrote:

What makes you say that? The rules haven't changed that much. There are a few more bold terms added in now, but nothing crazy, like pictures being allowed or anything.

Makes me wonder what would change.
That artistic person on each team would do it for sure...
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie

ChocolateLove

Postby ChocolateLove » December 14th, 2017, 6:02 pm

Froggie wrote:
ChocolateLove wrote:

Makes me wonder what would change.
That artistic person on each team would do it for sure...

True, but then it would basically become a glorified version of PITI, Picture This, and I don't know about you, but I def don't think that we need another Picture This roaming about
Alumni of 2016 Harriton Team

pandascienceolympiad
State: -

Postby pandascienceolympiad » February 4th, 2018, 2:29 pm

What year(s) did they allow pictures? that would really make so many things easier. Did they ever allow pics?

Polarrr

Postby Polarrr » February 4th, 2018, 3:45 pm

pandascienceolympiad wrote:What year(s) did they allow pictures? that would really make so many things easier. Did they ever allow pics?

I don't think they ever allowed pictures to my knowledge. That kind of ruins the point of describing what the person should be building, rather than just drawing it. xD

russianolive

Postby russianolive » February 11th, 2018, 8:20 pm

Hey guys. For those of you who have done this before, do the event coordinators ever give the "doer" more supplies than the actual structure shown to the "writer" contains?

Adi1008
State: TX

Postby Adi1008 » February 11th, 2018, 8:50 pm

russianolive wrote:Hey guys. For those of you who have done this before, do the event coordinators ever give the "doer" more supplies than the actual structure shown to the "writer" contains?

It depends on the people running the event. I've seen both cases (no extras, extra materials given) numerous times.

Sometimes, the ES penalizes putting on a material incorrectly. It's impossible for the writer or doer to know if such a penalty exists, but the writer can write something along the lines of "End" or "Done" so that the doer at least knows if certain materials are extras or not. This way, the doer doesn't throw on a bunch of extra materials in case they think they could earn any points
Last edited by Adi1008 on February 11th, 2018, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14

Raleway
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby Raleway » February 11th, 2018, 8:51 pm

russianolive wrote:Hey guys. For those of you who have done this before, do the event coordinators ever give the "doer" more supplies than the actual structure shown to the "writer" contains?

The real challenge is when you don't have enough materials as a doer and you spend the next 10 minutes trying to realize which part the writer is talking about :( Sad reax only
Sleep is for the week; one only needs it once a week :!: :geek: :roll: :?: :idea:

God bless Len Joeris | Balsaman

Polarrr

Postby Polarrr » February 13th, 2018, 7:54 pm

As people have said, yes this does happen. I would suggest describing the part in as much detail as possible. Some people choose to make a parts list to show which materials are going to be used, but this does take a lot of time.

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Postby Skink » March 17th, 2018, 6:48 am

I'm looking for a specific building toy; maybe someone out there knows what it is? It was used at my State tournament some years ago, so I'm predicting that it may get 'recycled' soon. They were colored blocks with a large stud on one side and holes in (all of?) the other faces, used to construct structures branching in three dimensions. I found something that looks like them on a foreign vendor but can't find them on Amazon or eBay.

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » March 17th, 2018, 8:37 am

Skink wrote:I'm looking for a specific building toy; maybe someone out there knows what it is? It was used at my State tournament some years ago, so I'm predicting that it may get 'recycled' soon. They were colored blocks with a large stud on one side and holes in (all of?) the other faces, used to construct structures branching in three dimensions. I found something that looks like them on a foreign vendor but can't find them on Amazon or eBay.

If I'm thinking of the same thing, I think there's a picture of it in the Image Gallery. Not sure what the name is though.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Royalreter

Postby Royalreter » March 17th, 2018, 9:20 am

Skink wrote:I'm looking for a specific building toy; maybe someone out there knows what it is? It was used at my State tournament some years ago, so I'm predicting that it may get 'recycled' soon. They were colored blocks with a large stud on one side and holes in (all of?) the other faces, used to construct structures branching in three dimensions. I found something that looks like them on a foreign vendor but can't find them on Amazon or eBay.

I believe you're talking about snap cubes? There are obviously variants of these but this seems to be the simplest model.
2017-2018 Events: Astronomy, Fermi Questions, Optics, WIDI

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby Skink » March 17th, 2018, 11:11 am

Yes, that's exactly it! Thank you. Eleven bucks with Prime shipping isn't bad at all...might get a few sets.

Return to “2018 Lab Events”