bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Science Quiz Bowl B/C [NY TRIAL]

Post by bernard »

Science Quiz Bowl is a trial event for Division B and C in New York for the 2018 season.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
bt03
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Science Quiz Bowl B/C [NY TRIAL]

Post by bt03 »

First! Lol.
Given that this event is basically those Jeopardy games you would play in science class, does anyone have a suggestion on how to study (other than having a brain for memorizing random things)?
For instance, water is not wet.
Random Fact 1: Water isn't wet. You can get wet by water, but water doesn't make water wet.
Random Fact 2: Is fire hot? Fire makes things hot, but can fire make fire hotter?
knottingpurple
Division: Grad
State: NJ

Post by knottingpurple »

bt03 wrote:First! Lol.
Given that this event is basically those Jeopardy games you would play in science class, does anyone have a suggestion on how to study (other than having a brain for memorizing random things)?
Science Quiz Bowl seems to me a lot like the Science Bowl competition run by the Department of Energy, most people I know who do that prepare by just reading lots of different science textbooks, is that how this event is normally done as well?
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
CaTaStRoPhY
Division: C
State: NY

Post by CaTaStRoPhY »

knottingpurple wrote:
bt03 wrote:First! Lol.
Science Quiz Bowl seems to me a lot like the Science Bowl competition run by the Department of Energy, most people I know who do that prepare by just reading lots of different science textbooks, is that how this event is normally done as well?
Join the Quiz bowl club if your school has one.
2018 events: Ecology, Microbe Mission, Thermodynamics, Herpetology
2019 events: Thermodynamics, Mousetrap Vehicle, Sounds of Music
bt03
Division: B

Post by bt03 »

knottingpurple wrote: Science Quiz Bowl seems to me a lot like the Science Bowl competition run by the Department of Energy, most people I know who do that prepare by just reading lots of different science textbooks, is that how this event is normally done as well?
Our team was one of the top 6 finalists for the regionals, so I can provide some insight on it.
Yes, reading science textbooks and having the brain capacity to store information is a must. I researched a little into the Science Bowl, and in fact, it is very similar. I wonder if the Olympiad got the idea from them...
With four general categories, ranging from physics, chemistry, biology, and earth science, it really isn't difficult to become one of the top six with a strong team.
Reaction time is also important in round II of the event. You get DQed for the question you press the buzzer before the question is finished, and it is difficult sometimes to hear what the ES is saying, especially when the mic/audio quality is horrendous, and sometimes you don't realize there is a pause in the question before the actual question is announced, which causes many discrepancies.

Otherwise, it is a fun event and it is great to hear the knowledge and random facts from your memory bank at the back of your brain!
Random Fact 1: Water isn't wet. You can get wet by water, but water doesn't make water wet.
Random Fact 2: Is fire hot? Fire makes things hot, but can fire make fire hotter?

Return to “2018 Lab Events”