Code Busters C [TX TRIAL]

Longivitis
Division: Grad
State: TX
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Code Busters C [TX TRIAL]

Post by Longivitis »

dragonfruit35 wrote:
TheChiScientist wrote:Lol same here. idk how to code but then I investigate it and I was like hey! I love this kind of stuff! :)
Same, I had to jump back in a Sassy game to get back in the habit of solving ciphers :lol: . I know how to code pretty well but unless it's something more like Game On it's not all that interesting to me- this seems like it will be fun!

Do you guys think that if there IS a Spanish cryptogram, they would label it as being in a different language?
When I took the test at regionals, they do state the type of cipher you have to solve it for. Xenocrypts are ciphers in a different language, so when they say solve this xenocrypt you know it's going to be Spanish.

Then again, it's also helpful to have at least one Hispanic person so you don't have to struggle on learning a new language or risking some points.
University of Texas at Austin '23
Cypress Lakes High School '19

Chemistry Lab, Codebusters, Game On, Science Word, Towers, We've Got Your Number
pdoradla
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by pdoradla »

Hey everyone. The rules for Codebusters at nats this year say that competitors MIGHT be asked to encrypt, not decrypt, with the affine, Hill, and Vigenere ciphers. Does this mean we won't be asked to to decrypt the aforementioned, or that we probably won't?
DarthBuilder

Post by DarthBuilder »

pdoradla wrote:Hey everyone. The rules for Codebusters at nats this year say that competitors MIGHT be asked to encrypt, not decrypt, with the affine, Hill, and Vigenere ciphers. Does this mean we won't be asked to to decrypt the aforementioned, or that we probably won't?
It’s up to the supervisor.
Last edited by DarthBuilder on May 12th, 2018, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Anomaly »

DarthBuilder wrote:
pdoradla wrote:Hey everyone. The rules for Codebusters at nats this year say that competitors MIGHT be asked to encrypt, not decrypt, with the affine, Hill, and Vigenere ciphers. Does this mean we won't be asked to to decrypt the aforementioned, or that we probably won't?
It’s up to the supervisor, (namedrop).
No namedrops please. (not anyone that I would know but just its a general rule)
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now
DarthBuilder

Post by DarthBuilder »

Anomaly wrote:
DarthBuilder wrote:
It’s up to the supervisor, (namedrop).
No namedrops please. (not anyone that I would know but just its a general rule)
Sorry about that.
Deleted
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Generally you can namedrop event supervisors if they are adults, and if you are not directly associating their name with their username without their permission. However, when in doubt it's usually a good policy to err on the side of caution.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Longivitis
State: TX

Post by Longivitis »

There's a good chance that you will have to decrypt them, but it will be relatively easier than just showing the enrypted message and finding it on your own. For example, decrypting hill and vigenere ciphers will most likely provide the key, and the affine will most likely give you two letters, which is enough to be able to find the key.

Just know how each cipher works and you'll be fine.
University of Texas at Austin '23
Cypress Lakes High School '19

Chemistry Lab, Codebusters, Game On, Science Word, Towers, We've Got Your Number

Return to “2018 Lab Events”