Rocks & Minerals B/C

User avatar
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:55 am
Division: B
State: MO
Location: Collapsed on my keyboard
Contact:

Re: Rocks & Minerals B/C

Postby dxu46 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:18 am

whythelongface wrote:
pb5754[] wrote:
arv101 wrote:Thanks for the websites but their mostly minerals and I am doing rocks, do you guys know any trustable websites for rocks.

Also, are their any good kits that have all of the rocks and minerals on the soinc website because I feel that actually touching and looking at the rocks will help me.

i like http://www.geology.com
if u want a kit i believe u can buy one of the ward's science olympiad kits from soinc

http://www.geology.com isn't the best source, as it's kind of simplified and it puts everything in layman's terms. For easier tests this is fine, but ideally, you should use http://www.mindat.org.

I wouldn't say that mindat.org is the best site for everything, but combined with minerals.net and webmineral.com it surely is good. It lacks some info, but it has some really strong information.
Ladue Science Olympiad!
2017 Events:
(Regionals/States/Nationals)
ExD (1,1,8)
RS (1,1,1)
R&M (1,1,13)

2018 Events:
ExD
RS
R&M
SS

"Those who cannot learn from history science are doomed to repeat it get an F." - George Santayana dxu46
Friend me here!

pb5754[]
Member
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:49 am
Division: C
State: NJ
Contact:

Re: Rocks & Minerals B/C

Postby pb5754[] » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:07 am

whythelongface wrote:
pb5754[] wrote:
arv101 wrote:Thanks for the websites but their mostly minerals and I am doing rocks, do you guys know any trustable websites for rocks.

Also, are their any good kits that have all of the rocks and minerals on the soinc website because I feel that actually touching and looking at the rocks will help me.

i like http://www.geology.com
if u want a kit i believe u can buy one of the ward's science olympiad kits from soinc

http://www.geology.com isn't the best source, as it's kind of simplified and it puts everything in layman's terms. For easier tests this is fine, but ideally, you should use http://www.mindat.org.

wait http://www.mindat.org has rocks????!!! why/how did i not see that before???? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

arv101
Member
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:12 am
Division: B
State: -
Contact:

Re: Rocks & Minerals B/C

Postby arv101 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:41 pm

Thanks, does anyone know any good websites for just rocks (specifically rocks)?
What did the thermometer say to the graduated cylinder?

"You may have graduated, but I have many degrees"

User avatar
Kyanite
Member
Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:43 pm
Division: C
State: WA
Contact:

Re: Rocks & Minerals B/C

Postby Kyanite » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:52 pm

arv101 wrote:Thanks, does anyone know any good websites for just rocks (specifically rocks)?


Not really, use multiple sources to get a total fact page for rocks.
The best builds are built after 1 am
CHS https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Camas_High_School
Guess I am good at Rocks?

ScottMaurer19
Member
Member
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:39 pm
Division: C
State: OH
Contact:

Re: Rocks & Minerals B/C

Postby ScottMaurer19 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:01 am

Kyanite wrote:
arv101 wrote:Thanks, does anyone know any good websites for just rocks (specifically rocks)?


Not really, use multiple sources to get a total fact page for rocks.

Copy and paste wikipedia, edit the extra/incorrect information out, and supplement from other sources.
Div B Nats:
2016 ELG: 6th, Fossils: 1st
2015 Dynamic: 3rd, Fossils: 2nd
2014 Dynamic: 5th, Rocks: 9th

2017 Events (r/s/n):
Hydrogeo: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 Events:
Helicopters
Herpetology
Mission Possible
Rocks & Minerals
(Dynamic, Ecology)

User avatar
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 921
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:10 pm
Division: Grad
State: NY
Location: Long Island
Contact:

Re: Rocks & Minerals B/C

Postby gneissisnice » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:00 pm

arv101 wrote:Thanks, does anyone know any good websites for just rocks (specifically rocks)?


Personally, I find that it's less useful to have pages devoted to each rock than it is for minerals. Rocks aren't as distinct and rigid in their compositions so there's a lot more ambiguity about certain details.

I would find charts that help with the classification of the different types (for example, a chart for igneous rocks that shows composition and texture), since that's typically all you need for ID purposes. Then maybe a list of other things about each rock, like environment of formation (shallow marine vs. river delta vs. deep marine for different sedimentary rocks, for example), uses, and so on.

That's pretty much it, I wouldn't go crazy with a fact sheet for each individual rock.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

User avatar
Kyanite
Member
Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:43 pm
Division: C
State: WA
Contact:

Re: Rocks & Minerals B/C

Postby Kyanite » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:06 pm

gneissisnice wrote:
arv101 wrote:Thanks, does anyone know any good websites for just rocks (specifically rocks)?


Personally, I find that it's less useful to have pages devoted to each rock than it is for minerals. Rocks aren't as distinct and rigid in their compositions so there's a lot more ambiguity about certain details.

I would find charts that help with the classification of the different types (for example, a chart for igneous rocks that shows composition and texture), since that's typically all you need for ID purposes. Then maybe a list of other things about each rock, like environment of formation (shallow marine vs. river delta vs. deep marine for different sedimentary rocks, for example), uses, and so on.

That's pretty much it, I wouldn't go crazy with a fact sheet for each individual rock.


Agreed, I fit about 2 rocks onto a single side of a page with information such as formation and possible colors.
The best builds are built after 1 am
CHS https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Camas_High_School
Guess I am good at Rocks?

User avatar
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:55 am
Division: B
State: MO
Location: Collapsed on my keyboard
Contact:

Re: Rocks & Minerals B/C

Postby dxu46 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:31 pm

Kyanite wrote:
gneissisnice wrote:
arv101 wrote:Thanks, does anyone know any good websites for just rocks (specifically rocks)?


Personally, I find that it's less useful to have pages devoted to each rock than it is for minerals. Rocks aren't as distinct and rigid in their compositions so there's a lot more ambiguity about certain details.

I would find charts that help with the classification of the different types (for example, a chart for igneous rocks that shows composition and texture), since that's typically all you need for ID purposes. Then maybe a list of other things about each rock, like environment of formation (shallow marine vs. river delta vs. deep marine for different sedimentary rocks, for example), uses, and so on.

That's pretty much it, I wouldn't go crazy with a fact sheet for each individual rock.


Agreed, I fit about 2 rocks onto a single side of a page with information such as formation and possible colors.

I'd say since you get a whole binder, you shouldn't think of saving space but rather including info. You should at least have 1 specimen per page, with a lot of info.
Ladue Science Olympiad!
2017 Events:
(Regionals/States/Nationals)
ExD (1,1,8)
RS (1,1,1)
R&M (1,1,13)

2018 Events:
ExD
RS
R&M
SS

"Those who cannot learn from history science are doomed to repeat it get an F." - George Santayana dxu46
Friend me here!

arv101
Member
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:12 am
Division: B
State: -
Contact:

Re: Rocks & Minerals B/C

Postby arv101 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:18 am

Thanks for your opinion but I was looking at past tests and there's usually like 20 stations so thats like 2-3 mins at each, how the heck are you supposed to both ID and answer like 5 follow up questions in that time? Also if you mess up the ID you're pretty much done for. How are you guys making sure your binder is "efficient"?
What did the thermometer say to the graduated cylinder?

"You may have graduated, but I have many degrees"

ScottMaurer19
Member
Member
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:39 pm
Division: C
State: OH
Contact:

Re: Rocks & Minerals B/C

Postby ScottMaurer19 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:25 am

arv101 wrote:Thanks for your opinion but I was looking at past tests and there's usually like 20 stations so thats like 2-3 mins at each, how the heck are you supposed to both ID and answer like 5 follow up questions in that time? Also if you mess up the ID you're pretty much done for. How are you guys making sure your binder is "efficient"?

Practice. Binders of any size work efficiently as long as you can find anything in it. In theory you should know the binder well enough to find any page without tabs. Also, put the most needed info in a separate and smaller section towards the front.

Or you could go the route of knowing everything and then you can finish those 2-3 min stations in half the time. Binder is easier though.
Div B Nats:
2016 ELG: 6th, Fossils: 1st
2015 Dynamic: 3rd, Fossils: 2nd
2014 Dynamic: 5th, Rocks: 9th

2017 Events (r/s/n):
Hydrogeo: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 Events:
Helicopters
Herpetology
Mission Possible
Rocks & Minerals
(Dynamic, Ecology)

arv101
Member
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:12 am
Division: B
State: -
Contact:

Re: Rocks & Minerals B/C

Postby arv101 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:39 am

Thanks, also, what are the restrictions on the magnifying glass? Like can their be a light in it or something of that sort?
What did the thermometer say to the graduated cylinder?

"You may have graduated, but I have many degrees"

pb5754[]
Member
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:49 am
Division: C
State: NJ
Contact:

Re: Rocks & Minerals B/C

Postby pb5754[] » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:04 am

arv101 wrote:Thanks, also, what are the restrictions on the magnifying glass? Like can their be a light in it or something of that sort?


I don't think there are magnifying glass restrictions

last year at regs I remember a team had a mag glass uv light

User avatar
Kyanite
Member
Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:43 pm
Division: C
State: WA
Contact:

Re: Rocks & Minerals B/C

Postby Kyanite » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:48 am

pb5754[] wrote:
arv101 wrote:Thanks, also, what are the restrictions on the magnifying glass? Like can their be a light in it or something of that sort?


I don't think there are magnifying glass restrictions

last year at regs I remember a team had a mag glass uv light


One thing about magnifying glasses is get about a 10x zoom or 8x zoom, dont want to be looking so close you cant see anything
The best builds are built after 1 am
CHS https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Camas_High_School
Guess I am good at Rocks?

User avatar
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 921
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:10 pm
Division: Grad
State: NY
Location: Long Island
Contact:

Re: Rocks & Minerals B/C

Postby gneissisnice » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:53 pm

arv101 wrote:Thanks for your opinion but I was looking at past tests and there's usually like 20 stations so thats like 2-3 mins at each, how the heck are you supposed to both ID and answer like 5 follow up questions in that time? Also if you mess up the ID you're pretty much done for. How are you guys making sure your binder is "efficient"?


The trick to any ID event is to know your identification perfectly. You should be able to identify every specimen by sight; if you need to use your binder to ID, you've already lost.

There are a handful of specimens that are similar, so you should at least be able to narrow down to a couple of options.

Don't forget that you have two people doing the event. If time is an issue, practice working with your partner. Maybe one person will ID while the other writes down the answer and starts answering the questions.

As for binders, you want it to be well-tabbed so you're not wasting time flipping through. I strongly recommend typing out everything by hand, just copying and pasting from wikipedia will give you blocks of text that take forever to read. Bullet points are you friend, keep things concise.

For example, a paragraph like "Quartz is one of the most useful natural materials. Its usefulness can be linked to its physical and chemical properties. It has a hardness of seven on the Mohs Scale which makes it very durable. It is chemically inert in contact with most substances. It has electrical properties and heat resistance that make it valuable in electronic products. Its luster, color, and diaphaneity make it useful as a gemstone and also in the making of glass." (taken from geology.com) is MUCH more difficult to get information from than a bullet point like: "Uses: Electronics, gemstones, glass. Useful because of hardness and chemical properties."

Saves you a lot of time when it comes to finding that information.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

808rain
Member
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:51 pm
State: -
Contact:

Re: Rocks & Minerals B/C

Postby 808rain » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:40 pm

A few questions....
* Can someone please clarify "attached using available rings, which may be removed during the event" Can it be in a binder and then we remove it during the event? Is this right?

* Any resources you recommend having in the binder?

* Will the team be at a disadvantage if it's just one person? Will we get half points?


Return to “Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest