syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: Astronomy C

Post by syo_astro »

Adi1008 wrote:
anna1234 wrote:Hey! For those of you who have competed in astro at nationals, has JS9/DS9 software ever showed up on the test?
It hasn't been on any nationals tests or any of the MIT tests (which are written by the national event supervisors) that I've seen.
It actually has been on some...it used to be more emphasized as I recall (like I think one time asking specific commands or something, it's hard to remember exactly so don't take my word for it). Off the top of my head, a test online gave pictures from JS9/DS9 and asked you to analyze / explain what's going on with them. This should be stuff you're already studying (like multi-wavelength imaging, etc), hopefully, but it's good to see that you don't need to just copy and paste from Chandra, you can actually mess with the images yourself (the ES's can too!).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
ET2020
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ET2020 »

Has anyone found good scientific papers for S Doradus? The only one I was able to find was an IOP Science article talking about an usual cooling in its spectrum and some other ones talking about S Doradus type stars in general (LBVs). I can't seem to find one that provides a bunch of information about the star itself.
Fayetteville Manlius High School
2020 Events: Astronomy, Code, Dynamic, PPP
anna1234
State: NC

Post by anna1234 »

I'm not sure how much help this will be, but I've gotten some info from these 2 papers:
http://adsbit.harvard.edu//full/1925BHa ... 2.000.html
https://academic.oup.com/mnras/article/ ... 69/2604159

ET2020 wrote:Has anyone found good scientific papers for S Doradus? The only one I was able to find was an IOP Science article talking about an usual cooling in its spectrum and some other ones talking about S Doradus type stars in general (LBVs). I can't seem to find one that provides a bunch of information about the star itself.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

How much will studying based on this year's rules help if I'm interested in doing astro next year? Also, how did you guys start collecting info for astro?
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:How much will studying based on this year's rules help if I'm interested in doing astro next year? Also, how did you guys start collecting info for astro?
Study the 2014 rules, but if you haven't done RFTS definitely start with general stellar evolution.

Going through DSOs is a good way to get a feel for the event, it provides plenty of phrases and such to Google.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

Unome wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:How much will studying based on this year's rules help if I'm interested in doing astro next year? Also, how did you guys start collecting info for astro?
Study the 2014 rules, but if you haven't done RFTS definitely start with general stellar evolution.

Going through DSOs is a good way to get a feel for the event, it provides plenty of phrases and such to Google.
Where would one obtain a copy of the 2014 rules?
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

PM2017 wrote:
Unome wrote:

Also wondering - I'm thinking it'd be copyrighted, so you'd have to get it from your coach/someone who bought them.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
PM2017 wrote:
Unome wrote: Study the 2014 rules, but if you haven't done RFTS definitely start with general stellar evolution.

Also wondering - I'm thinking it'd be copyrighted, so you'd have to get it from your coach/someone who bought them.
You could probably contact alumni from your high school - I know there are plenty. Barring that, I'd recommend ordering them from the NSO Store.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

Good job everyone this year:). Helped at an invite, regs, nats...somehow not at states, we'll see about next year.

Which might I add...IS GALAXIES!!! It's still being finalized, but it may involve starburst galaxies, and stellar evolution will of course still be important.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Ten086

Post by Ten086 »

syo_astro wrote:Good job everyone this year:). Helped at an invite, regs, nats...somehow not at states, we'll see about next year.

Which might I add...IS GALAXIES!!! It's still being finalized, but it may involve starburst galaxies, and stellar evolution will of course still be important.
Thanks for your hard work this year! Any chance you could leak the DSO list for next year too? ;)

For real tho, the nats test had a lot more DSO questions than we were expecting :O I was also surprised to see that imaging analysis stuff, I thought everyone was saying it's never really showed up on a test before rip. My partner and I are really happy with our placement and hopefully we'll do astro together again next year :v!
Just trying my best...

Return to “2018 Study Events”