Astronomy C

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: Astronomy C

Post by syo_astro »

Ten086 wrote:Thanks for your hard work this year! Any chance you could leak the DSO list for next year too? ;)

For real tho, the nats test had a lot more DSO questions than we were expecting :O I was also surprised to see that imaging analysis stuff, I thought everyone was saying it's never really showed up on a test before rip. My partner and I are really happy with our placement and hopefully we'll do astro together again next year :v!
Just for reference: I didn't write the test...we have a large enough group of volunteers anyway that while the sections and format may be somewhat "standard", the exact content should hopefully stay exciting and varied for years to come ;).

A few notes:
DSOs are typically the first section of tests, and they are VERY important (thus getting a lot of coverage). Definitely worth studying as they even help you learn the event. Also, you're going to have to think of a more creative way of finding the DSOs than that:P.

The image analysis...I did say "it has been used on some"...DS9 is still relevant, we're just trying to think of accessible activities. Imaging, spectra, etc are always important anyway.

Finally, good job!
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

syo_astro wrote: The image analysis...I did say "it has been used on some"...DS9 is still relevant, we're just trying to think of accessible activities. Imaging, spectra, etc are always important anyway.
Can you give us some examples of DS9 related questions?
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

PM2017 wrote:Can you give us some examples of DS9 related questions?
My rambling here probably won't help much, I'm still figuring out ways to use it on a test (it is a professional tool, though, which is cool). I thought there were past nationals exams that used DS9 (nats exams should be all over the test exchange, soinc.org, etc). If you want some very general ideas, I think this year's test had an X ray spectrum on it (made by using DS9), and it's often useful for "image analysis" (counting pixels, color schemes, stacking multi wavelength images).
Royalreter wrote:...I saw the above linked post and was wondering if you had access to the 2010 or 2011 rules...[some questions about how to study for this topic]
This quote came from someone asking me about studying without the rules / finding old rules. Answering here because it's relevant to many, and I might get PM'd about that a bunch. I do not have the 2010 rules and am not allowed to share them in any case. See viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11993 for a detailed conversation about this.

Regarding "galaxies topics" being broad, I believe I made no mistake in stating "Galaxies" (see my Edit in this post). Besides, isn't "stellar evolution" also a broad topic? People are maybe annoyed at my repetitions, but understand that I prefer to not "overexplain" general questions. Anyway, don't be afraid of "useless" studying...if you study over the summer, it'll probably be useful.

As for topics to study, why not discuss here if everyone is excited;)? If you want a starting point, where do you start for previous years? Lastly, if you do SSSS, I'll try to help answer questions after people get going. I think that'll be more manageable for me, and, as I sometimes say, specific questions -> specific answers (unless you all just talk to each other...that works too).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by pb5754 »

I don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere, but are we allowed to use a wireless mouse? Just wondering...
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
Adi1008

Post by Adi1008 »

pb5754[] wrote:I don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere, but are we allowed to use a wireless mouse? Just wondering...
I used a wireless mouse and didn't run into any complaints from event supervisors.
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pb5754 »

Adi1008 wrote:
pb5754[] wrote:I don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere, but are we allowed to use a wireless mouse? Just wondering...
I used a wireless mouse and didn't run into any complaints from event supervisors.
OK Thanks!
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

pb5754[] wrote:
Adi1008 wrote:
OK Thanks!
Something something this forum is not the place for official clarifications? That said, this is a pretty niche question that probably most wouldn't think about...so send in an FAQ? I guess you could argue an annoyed ES with the flash drive FAQ, but it's better to ask just in case.
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pb5754 »

syo_astro wrote:
pb5754[] wrote:
Adi1008 wrote: I used a wireless mouse and didn't run into any complaints from event supervisors.
OK Thanks!
Something something this forum is not the place for official clarifications? That said, this is a pretty niche question that probably most wouldn't think about...so send in an FAQ? I guess you could argue an annoyed ES with the flash drive FAQ, but it's better to ask just in case.
Oh yeah lol I forgot about the FAQs. I guess I'll send one in.

But would they actually check for FAQs after the season is over though?

EDIT: According to the SOINC FAQ page (https://www.soinc.org/events/frequently-asked-questions):
SOINC wrote:Clarifications & FAQs open October 1 and close May 1.
So I guess I'll (probably) have to wait until October 1st... :|
PM2017

Post by PM2017 »

In regards to the conversation above, I've seen teams bring things like clipbaords, or desk extensions to place all their items. My partner was telling me she even saw one of these at state.

I'm not sure about the legality of these items, so since we are on this topic we might as well discuss these as well.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

PM2017 wrote:In regards to the conversation above, I've seen teams bring things like clipbaords, or desk extensions to place all their items. My partner was telling me she even saw one of these at state.

I'm not sure about the legality of these items, so since we are on this topic we might as well discuss these as well.
I would say it's up to the event supervisor. Personally, I would not allow either of those. My limits on things outside of the rules basically comes down to pencils (and lead), erasers, and pencil sharpeners.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2018 Study Events”