Astronomy C

orangewhale
Division: C
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Astronomy C

Post by orangewhale »

Can anyone explain Of stars? I've seen references to them in papers about WR and LBV stars but when I search for them I can't find much.
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

orangewhale wrote:Can anyone explain Of stars? I've seen references to them in papers about WR and LBV stars but when I search for them I can't find much.
Here. I'm not certain, but the spectral features sound to me like they would be indicative of being slightly more evolved than an O-type main sequence star.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
alchzh
State: NY

Post by alchzh »

How do y'all prepare notes for this event?
Columbia University. Maybe starting an invitational. No promises.
alchzh's Userpage
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by antoine_ego »

alchzh wrote:How do y'all prepare notes for this event?
Start off with Wikipedia and get the general concepts down, along with specific details for the general information. After, if you can get yourself a copy of Carroll and Ostlie, it usually does wonders. For DSOs, start off with Wikipedia and then gradually move onto research papers. It's useful to have a lot of images of each of the DSOs as well. For math, I just have one big formula sheet of stuff I've found over the years.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
ashucha

Post by ashucha »

Hi, I need to know how you guys get information on DSOs because I can't get some information for some of the objects. Please do let me know ASAP if there is a database which I can access because even Wikipedia and NASA don't have all of the information. Thank you in advance!
ashucha

Post by ashucha »

Also, what resources like computers and sheets are we allowed to bring for the tests and how many for each team of two?
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by antoine_ego »

ashucha wrote:Hi, I need to know how you guys get information on DSOs because I can't get some information for some of the objects. Please do let me know ASAP if there is a database which I can access because even Wikipedia and NASA don't have all of the information. Thank you in advance!
Research papers and Chandra.
ashucha wrote:Also, what resources like computers and sheets are we allowed to bring for the tests and how many for each team of two?
Any laptop is allowed with no WiFi. Must have at most a total of 2 binders and laptops (i.e. 1 laptop 1 binder, 2 laptops, etc). You can bring whatever information you want.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[/b]
ashucha

Post by ashucha »

antoine_ego wrote:
ashucha wrote:Hi, I need to know how you guys get information on DSOs because I can't get some information for some of the objects. Please do let me know ASAP if there is a database which I can access because even Wikipedia and NASA don't have all of the information. Thank you in advance!
First of all, thank you. I used Chandra and some research papers but they still could not give me more information than NASA and Wikipedia. I would really appreciate it if you could tell me which research papers you used. Thanks!
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by antoine_ego »

ashucha wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:
First of all, thank you. I used Chandra and some research papers but they still could not give me more information than NASA and Wikipedia. I would really appreciate it if you could tell me which research papers you used. Thanks!
Generally, searching the DSO on arxiv is enough to get a decent amount of information. There is a limit to the amount of information an ES will dare ask on a test, so you don't need every last little detail.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[/b]
jonboyage
State: PA

Post by jonboyage »

antoine_ego wrote:
ashucha wrote:
antoine_ego wrote:
Generally, searching the DSO on arxiv is enough to get a decent amount of information. There is a limit to the amount of information an ES will dare ask on a test, so you don't need every last little detail.
Another good resource is SIMBAD; It usually has almost all the numbers I need for a DSO. Arxiv is better for very specific things and if you're good at reading these kinds of documents. Chandra is the most user-friendly probably. AAVSO is also a nice website to find light curves of variable stars on; I've found that many tests-makers use it. All of these sites should have all the information you will ever need for the DSOs, but even more research on your own time can never hurt.
I was in a bin

Rustin '19
UPenn '23

Return to “2018 Study Events”