Astronomy C

JCicc
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Astronomy C

Post by JCicc »

There is a mistake in this exam (the mistake is not on the answer key, but in the exam itself). My apologies to anyone agonizing over this problem. This is from the 2014 PA state exam. The separation of the stars should be listed as 1.56E10 m.

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

JCicc wrote:There is a mistake in this exam (the mistake is not on the answer key, but in the exam itself). My apologies to anyone agonizing over this problem. This is from the 2014 PA state exam. The separation of the stars should be listed as 1.56E10 m.

While you're here - would you happen to know whether to use distance or half of the distance in Kepler's third law? I've seen it both ways in the past but no one I've talked to seems to have a definitive answer on this.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
jonboyage
State: PA

Post by jonboyage »

Unome wrote:
JCicc wrote:There is a mistake in this exam (the mistake is not on the answer key, but in the exam itself). My apologies to anyone agonizing over this problem. This is from the 2014 PA state exam. The separation of the stars should be listed as 1.56E10 m.

While you're here - would you happen to know whether to use distance or half of the distance in Kepler's third law? I've seen it both ways in the past but no one I've talked to seems to have a definitive answer on this.
Never mind I was wrong you do actually use the separation for “a.” (And not just because the answer works out, I looked it up). Ahhhhh why do I suck lol...
I was in a bin

Rustin '19
UPenn '23
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

jonboyage wrote:
Unome wrote:

Never mind I was wrong you do actually use the separation for “a.” (And not just because the answer works out, I looked it up). Ahhhhh why do I suck lol...
Wait so is it the distance between the stars or half the distance between the stars? Now I'm confused. I always thought it was the semi-major axis of the star's orbit. (half the distance of separation between the two.)
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
alchzh
State: NY

Post by alchzh »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
jonboyage wrote:
Unome wrote: While you're here - would you happen to know whether to use distance or half of the distance in Kepler's third law? I've seen it both ways in the past but no one I've talked to seems to have a definitive answer on this.
Wait so is it the distance between the stars or half the distance between the stars? Now I'm confused. I always thought it was the semi-major axis of the star's orbit. (half the distance of separation between the two.)
Isn't it the sum of the two semi-major axes of the elliptical orbits of the two stars which is just the separation?
Columbia University. Maybe starting an invitational. No promises.
alchzh's Userpage
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
jonboyage wrote:
Unome wrote: While you're here - would you happen to know whether to use distance or half of the distance in Kepler's third law? I've seen it both ways in the past but no one I've talked to seems to have a definitive answer on this.
It's the full distance between the two. Consider that the distance between each star and the barycenter in a circular orbit is already a semi-major axis.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
dkarkada
State: TX

Post by dkarkada »

It looks like the UT Regional tournament directors decided not to upload the tests. I've put up the astro test here: http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/dkarkada ... 0Regional/.

As always, let me know if you have any questions or think there's an error, so I can correct it. Hope this helps! :)
Last edited by dkarkada on April 28th, 2018, 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by antoine_ego »

dkarkada wrote:It looks like the UT Regional tournament directors decided not to upload the tests. I've put up the astro test here: http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/dkarkada ... al%202018/.

As always, let me know if you have any questions or think there's an error, so I can correct it. Hope this helps! :)
I've heard amazing things about this test. I'm excited!
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
anna1234
Division: C
State: NC

Post by anna1234 »

Hey! For those of you who have competed in astro at nationals, has JS9/DS9 software ever showed up on the test?
Adi1008
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

anna1234 wrote:Hey! For those of you who have competed in astro at nationals, has JS9/DS9 software ever showed up on the test?
It hasn't been on any nationals tests or any of the MIT tests (which are written by the national event supervisors) that I've seen.
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14

Return to “2018 Study Events”