Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Skink »

megan_scioly wrote:Are the diseases being tested limited to the ones on the FDA chart? Thanks.
It shouldn't matter because you should not be asked about individual diseases in much detail; this isn't Microbe. Furthermore, the nature of these pathogens is that there are minute differences between them (e.g. incubation period is 12 versus 48hr). My recommendation is to make a shrunken-down table in a corner of the cheat sheet with this and any other potentially relevant topical information.
venules
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NC
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Been thanked: 0

Post by venules »

In addition to the statistical measures listed on the national website and the most common biases (selection, information, etc.), are there any other statistics that are included on exams? I know there was a practice test that included Berksonian bias, and others that included statistical errors.
NCSO Alumna, '13-19 | Duke University '23
maxxxxx
State: PA

Post by maxxxxx »

venules wrote:In addition to the statistical measures listed on the national website and the most common biases (selection, information, etc.), are there any other statistics that are included on exams? I know there was a practice test that included Berksonian bias, and others that included statistical errors.
You should add just about any type of bias to your notes because some tests(I think GGSO last year was one) like to ask about stuff like. I've never seen any statistics that weren't on the national website, but you should have a good understanding of how and why they work because you may be faced with questions like that(Cornell 2016 asked about degrees of freedom).
Lower Merion Class Of 2017
Nerd_Bunny
State: ID

Post by Nerd_Bunny »

Since we're kinda on the topic of really hard stuff in DD does anyone know what degrees of freedom are and how to calculate them? I've got a statistics book here but it's been no help since I haven't taken calculus yet. :D
Events: A&P, DD, Circuit Lab
States/Nats
2017 DD: 1/16
2018 A&P: 1/29
2019 A&P: 1/22
2019 PM: 1/22 
If you're curious...yes, I like rabbits.
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Froggie »

I had a question about incidence and prevalence on a test, and the choices were:

Incidence rate
Incidence
Incidence proportion
Prevalence rate
Prevalence
Prevalence proportion

I tried looking them up but I couldn't find a good answer that said how they were different and in what cases you would want to use one over the other.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie
poonicle

Post by poonicle »

venules wrote:In addition to the statistical measures listed on the national website and the most common biases (selection, information, etc.), are there any other statistics that are included on exams? I know there was a practice test that included Berksonian bias, and others that included statistical errors.
The national website should be fine. I think there's just a whole lot more "application" questions, i.e. "when would you use *insert statistical method*?" One thing that wasn't on that list was ANOVA though. Honestly, these stats rarely come up (at least on the national level tests I've taken...). I've seen chi square a couple of times like the other people on the thread but nothing else really...

Biases though are fairly important. If you go on to CDC there's a powerpoint of a bunch of different really specific biases, which may or may not come in handy (depends on where you're planning to compete tbh). Usually, the broader ones suffice but it's still nice to know things like Simpson's Paradox because that stuff comes up in tests sometimes.
Events: WIDI, Geomap, Disease, Chem Lab
Acton-Boxborough A for Invites season
venules
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NC
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by venules »

Froggie wrote:I had a question about incidence and prevalence on a test, and the choices were:

Incidence rate
Incidence
Incidence proportion
Prevalence rate
Prevalence
Prevalence proportion

I tried looking them up but I couldn't find a good answer that said how they were different and in what cases you would want to use one over the other.
http://sphweb.bumc.bu.edu/otlt/mph-modu ... ency4.html
The above link should explain incidence rates and incidence proportions. Prevalence and prevalence rate are synonymous to my knowledge. I couldn't find anything on prevalence proportion, though; it might be a mistake?
poonicle wrote:The national website should be fine. I think there's just a whole lot more "application" questions, i.e. "when would you use *insert statistical method*?" One thing that wasn't on that list was ANOVA though. Honestly, these stats rarely come up (at least on the national level tests I've taken...). I've seen chi square a couple of times like the other people on the thread but nothing else really...

Biases though are fairly important. If you go on to CDC there's a powerpoint of a bunch of different really specific biases, which may or may not come in handy (depends on where you're planning to compete tbh). Usually, the broader ones suffice but it's still nice to know things like Simpson's Paradox because that stuff comes up in tests sometimes.
Thanks! (also @maxxxx)
NCSO Alumna, '13-19 | Duke University '23
gryphaea1635
State: KS

Post by gryphaea1635 »

Hi everyone,

Can someone help me with question #18 on the UT Austin Invitational B test? My answer was 2.2 and the answer key says 1.83.

The link to the test is here: https://utexas.app.box.com/s/5ckx9zggsh ... 36465065/1

Thanks so much!
ESKKEEEETTTIIITT
Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

gryphaea1635 wrote:Hi everyone,

Can someone help me with question #18 on the UT Austin Invitational B test? My answer was 2.2 and the answer key says 1.83.

The link to the test is here: https://utexas.app.box.com/s/5ckx9zggsh ... 36465065/1

Thanks so much!
Huh, I got 2.2 also. Not quite sure if the answer is correct. Maybe someone else can help us out, hmm?
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
The48thYoshi
State: IL

Post by The48thYoshi »

Tailsfan101 wrote:
gryphaea1635 wrote:Hi everyone,

Thanks so much!
Huh, I got 2.2 also. Not quite sure if the answer is correct. Maybe someone else can help us out, hmm?
Link doesn’t work :?
aeshs ‘22

Return to “2018 Study Events”