Nerd_Bunny
Division: C
State: ID
Has thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Nerd_Bunny »

Tailsfan101 wrote:
Nerd_Bunny wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote: The 2017 Nationals test packet included graphs depicting raw scores for each team in each event, so yes, I have raw scores, as I bought that B packet.
Just curious- what was our score compared to the other scores? :?:
It's a little hard to read, but it looks like our score was about 98, whereas 6th place had ~111 and 1st had 121.
Wow, we were actually pretty close. It looks like even just small point amounts separated medals from non-medals.
Events: A&P, DD, Circuit Lab
States/Nats
2017 DD: 1/16
2018 A&P: 1/29
2019 A&P: 1/22
2019 PM: 1/22 
If you're curious...yes, I like rabbits.
BasuSiddha23
Division: Grad
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Post by BasuSiddha23 »

In Division B, will we need to know Koch's Postulate or Hill's Criteria?
Eagle View MS (2017-2019)
Cumberland Valley HS (2019-present)
Tailsfan101

Post by Tailsfan101 »

BasuSiddha23 wrote:In Division B, will we need to know Koch's Postulate or Hill's Criteria?
I would suggest putting them on your cheat sheet as I have done. You never know what might come up on a test, and those could very easily end up on a B test.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
Birdmusic
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Birdmusic »

Tailsfan101 wrote:
BasuSiddha23 wrote:In Division B, will we need to know Koch's Postulate or Hill's Criteria?
I would suggest putting them on your cheat sheet as I have done. You never know what might come up on a test, and those could very easily end up on a B test.
Good advice, both have come up for me before on B tests. If your cheat sheet can't fit anymore, print it out and scribble it in pencil on the margins. (or use a smaller font size)
I like birds.
BasuSiddha23
Been thanked: 0

Post by BasuSiddha23 »

Birdmusic wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote:
Good advice, both have come up for me before on B tests. If your cheat sheet can't fit anymore, print it out and scribble it in pen on the margins. (or use a smaller font size)
Thanks for answering my question!

In Disease, how do you test and make hypotheses for a case.
Eagle View MS (2017-2019)
Cumberland Valley HS (2019-present)
Birdmusic
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Birdmusic »

BasuSiddha23 wrote:
Birdmusic wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote: I would suggest putting them on your cheat sheet as I have done. You never know what might come up on a test, and those could very easily end up on a B test.
Good advice, both have come up for me before on B tests. If your cheat sheet can't fit anymore, print it out and scribble it in pen on the margins. (or use a smaller font size)
Thanks for answering my question!

In Disease, how do you test and make hypotheses for a case.
Look at odds or risk ratio of all the possible exposures (food for this year). The one with the greatest risk or odds ratio is the most likely, however, to confirm it, further lab testing is best, especially if your in division C and bias is a part of it. Also, for a hypothesis where you don’t have any numerical data yet, go with something that has been implicated in past outbreaks (like undercooked beef for E. coli) or something that makes the most sense. (if there was a malaria outbreak you could implicate recent increase in rainfall but not raw eggs). Usually they’ll give you 4-7 different foods that could’ve caused it and numbers, so the first method is good. This is if you’re asked to do it on a test.

In general, observational/ecological studies can be used to generate early hypotheses. Analytic studies and some lab work can develop the hypotheses further and confirm the hypotheses. Lab testing is best when possible, however in cases where not possible, an analytic study is pretty good proof of association.
(Example of lab work: bacteria found in people has same genetic profile as found in a certain brand of cheese)

If I missed anything, please add on or correct me! I’m not the best at this part of disease detectives. :geek:
I like birds.
Killboe
State: AR

Post by Killboe »

What was on your tests? Mine was mainly vocab for the 1st 70 questions. After that it was contingency table comprehension / cases.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

My regionals test was pretty much just cases

Also, for hypotheses, remember the epidemiological triad, agent, source, and spread. Statistically speaking, there are two kinds of hypotheses, the null hypothesis (no association) and the altrrnative hypothesis (association between exposure and outcome). If you're in division C, make sure you know how to do tests involving these (e.g. chi-squared). Also understand CIs and p-values.
Killboe
State: AR

Post by Killboe »

What would FATTOM be considered? I'm adding it to the wiki but I don't know which sub-category it would fall under.
Nerd_Bunny

Post by Nerd_Bunny »

Killboe wrote:What would FATTOM be considered? I'm adding it to the wiki but I don't know which sub-category it would fall under.
I've never seen it before on a test, but if you're adding it to the wiki you should probably put it somewhere near the food-borne specific part.

EDIT: I just looked and there really isn't a good food-borne specific part. Maybe you should add one and put it there. :P
Events: A&P, DD, Circuit Lab
States/Nats
2017 DD: 1/16
2018 A&P: 1/29
2019 A&P: 1/22
2019 PM: 1/22 
If you're curious...yes, I like rabbits.

Return to “2018 Study Events”