Disease Detectives B/C

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Anyone have any information about who to contact after an investigation has been conducted?
Still wondering about this :/
IcsTam
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by IcsTam »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Anyone have any information about who to contact after an investigation has been conducted?
Still wondering about this :/
I would recommend looking at breakdowns of the ten steps. Generally, if it was purely a field investigation, you would have to notify the proper authorities (i.e. policymakers in the CDC if you were an investigator.) Past that, it would go to the press and media.

See step 13 here: https://www.cdc.gov/ophss/csels/dsepd/s ... tml#step13
Page 15 of this document: http://www2.wpro.who.int/internet/files ... gation.pdf
Penncrest ‘18
UPenn ‘22
SOUP Sounds Director ‘19, ‘20
PM me about UPenn, Physics, or anything college or SciOly related!
Nerd_Bunny
State: ID

Post by Nerd_Bunny »

Are experimental or trial studies the same as randomized controlled trials? I feel like this is a stupid question but I had to ask just in case.
Events: A&P, DD, Circuit Lab
States/Nats
2017 DD: 1/16
2018 A&P: 1/29
2019 A&P: 1/22
2019 PM: 1/22 
If you're curious...yes, I like rabbits.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Nerd_Bunny wrote:Are experimental or trial studies the same as randomized controlled trials? I feel like this is a stupid question but I had to ask just in case.
I think so.
WhatScience?
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Post by WhatScience? »

I have decided to take Unome's advice and start prepping for next year. I will be in C for the first time.

Does anyone have a list of statistics i need to know.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

WhatScience? wrote:I have decided to take Unome's advice and start prepping for next year. I will be in C for the first time.

Anything from Chi-squared tests to odds ratios and risk ratios. http://www.fao.org/wairdocs/ilri/x5436e/x5436e00.htm
Killboe
State: AR

Post by Killboe »

Does anybody have any nationals foodborne illness tests? It's my first year going to nats and I don't know what to study.
Nerd_Bunny

Post by Nerd_Bunny »

Killboe wrote:Does anybody have any nationals foodborne illness tests? It's my first year going to nats and I don't know what to study.
Have you gone through all the tests here and here? If you take about 2-3 tests per week (or one a day if you really want to) and make a habit of learning anything you get wrong on the test, you should do very well at Nats. I see that you are in Division B, but that doesn't mean you should not take Division C tests. I did that my last year of B and it really helped me in Disease Detectives. (You can see my rank in my signature. ;) )
States/Nats
Nerd_Bunny

Post by Nerd_Bunny »

WhatScience? wrote:I have decided to take Unome's advice and start prepping for next year. I will be in C for the first time.

Chi-squares- these are not as hard as they look. PM me if you want a good explanation. I've posted on them before but have since perfected my methods. Finally I found the correct algebraic formula. I've seen these on almost every high-level Division C test.
Types of bias- have a long list of any types of bias you come across in test-taking along with explanations and examples.
Cochran Mantel-Haenszel summary odds ratio- this is a mouthful but it's just a lot of algebra. The 2017 Brookwood test (EDIT: key) on the test exchange has this formula. The formula they give for the chi-squares is wrong. Do not follow in my naive footsteps and use their chi-squares formula. But the CM-H test formula is correct, as far as I know. https://scioly.org/tests/files/diseased ... _test1.pdf
Also- just another tip in general- make a huge vocabulary list on your information sheet. I think we have at least 100 words that my partner and I have both used multiple times on many tests.

EDIT 2: Here's the key to the Brookwood test. Again, their chi-squares stuff is incorrect, but the CM-H stuff is correct- I haven't seen anything that disproves their formula. https://scioly.org/tests/files/diseased ... od_key.pdf
States/Nats
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Froggie »

I know this is a very very very very very very very long shot, but does anyone have raw scores for 2017 nats?
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie

Return to “2018 Study Events”