Disease Detectives B/C

Killboe
State: AR
Has thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Killboe »

Can somebody tell me how do you find variance in a 2x2 contingency table. Or give an example, I'm finding it hard to.
Last edited by Killboe on April 26th, 2018, 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nerd_Bunny
Division: C
State: ID

Post by Nerd_Bunny »

Anyone know the raw scores from last year's division C national test? I'm taking it tomorrow and I'm curious to see where my current partner and I would've placed. :)
Events: A&P, DD, Circuit Lab
States/Nats
2017 DD: 1/16
2018 A&P: 1/29
2019 A&P: 1/22
2019 PM: 1/22 
If you're curious...yes, I like rabbits.
Killboe

Post by Killboe »

Nerd_Bunny wrote:Anyone know the raw scores from last year's division C national test? I'm taking it tomorrow and I'm curious to see where my current partner and I would've placed. :)
Well, you guys got 59th in Disease last year. But I don't know the raw scores. I would suggest going over the test and seeing if you don't know anything.
Tailsfan101
Division: Grad
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Killboe wrote:
Nerd_Bunny wrote:Anyone know the raw scores from last year's division C national test? I'm taking it tomorrow and I'm curious to see where my current partner and I would've placed. :)
Well, you guys got 59th in Disease last year. But I don't know the raw scores. I would suggest going over the test and seeing if you don't know anything.
Actually, Killboe, Nerd_Bunny was on our Division B team last year (and was partners with me :D ), where we got 16th. I believe one kid on our high school team was doing it alone, and from what he told me, he didn't have time to complete the test.

You can find the raw scores for all National events by purchasing the Division C test packets on soinc.org.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
Killboe

Post by Killboe »

Tailsfan101 wrote:
Killboe wrote:
Actually, Killboe, Nerd_Bunny was on our Division B team last year (and was partners with me :D ), where we got 16th. I believe one kid on our high school team was doing it alone, and from what he told me, he didn't have time to complete the test.

You can find the raw scores for all National events by purchasing the Division C test packets on soinc.org.

Oh ok my bad
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Now that I'm going to C div, how different is B from C?
Excelsior
State: TX
Been thanked: 0

Post by Excelsior »

Actually, I had the same question as well, though from what I've heard, it's mainly the statistical calculations that are different. According to the current rules, for Division C "May include recognizing and accounting for potential sources of error, direct and indirect rate adjustment, stratified analysis (e.g., Mantel-Haenszel test) and use of statistical methods to describe data and test hypothesis involving qualitative and quantitative data." (3. e. ii.). This seems to be the only difference between the Division B and C rule sheets.

Also, some of my friends in Division C have told me that there is an even stronger focus on the case study portion than in Division B.

And of course, obviously the tests are harder in general.

Hope that helps! Feel free to add more, as I myself am going to Division C next year and would love more info.
Div B
2016-2017 - Crime, Disease, Fast Facts, Mission Possible
2017-2018 - Crime, Potions, Thermo, Disease, Microbe
Div C
2018-2019 - Forensics, Anatomy, Disease, ExD
2019-2020 - Forensics, Anatomy, Disease, ExD

Seven Lakes Junior High '18, Seven Lakes High School '22
acidbeaker
State: CA

Post by acidbeaker »

As someone from Division B who's entering Division C, what are some major differences, or things that I need to know for Div. C that wouldn't be found in Div. B? I know that there's some statistics involved, but anything specific would be greatly appreciated.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

acidbeaker wrote:As someone from Division B who's entering Division C, what are some major differences, or things that I need to know for Div. C that wouldn't be found in Div. B? I know that there's some statistics involved, but anything specific would be greatly appreciated.
See the post above you ;) Also some specifics to study are chi-squared tests, Fischer's exact test, double blind studies, biases, p-values, confidence intervals, null/alternative hypotheses, etc.
sourpatchkids

Post by sourpatchkids »

Where can I find information on what to study for next years topic (which will most likely be environmental quality)?
'21!

Return to “2018 Study Events”