Dynamic Planet B/C

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by Unome »

matematika wrote:Thanks! What is the difference between free-air and Bouguer anomalies? How would you use a chart to generalize the sign of the anomaly at a certain geological feature? Free-air and Bouguer anomalies tend to be exact opposites of each other in the charts I've seen...which one to look at?
The wikipedia page on gravity anomalies (or maybe on Bouguer anomalies, I can't remember which) gives a good overview of how the corrections work. Generally the Bouguer anomaly is the one you would want to look at.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
matematika
Division: B
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by matematika »

I've looked there, I have a general idea of Bouguer vs. free-air, but some quick examples please? I can't find them anywhere.
2017 - Herpetology, Dynamic Planet, Solar System
matematika

Post by matematika »

1. examples of negative and positive gravity anomalies;
2. is there any list of scientists? Every single new practice test I take, they're like 10 new ones. I can't seem to find a complete list.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

matematika wrote:Thanks! What is the difference between free-air and Bouguer anomalies? How would you use a chart to generalize the sign of the anomaly at a certain geological feature? Free-air and Bouguer anomalies tend to be exact opposites of each other in the charts I've seen...which one to look at?
For the first question, Bouguer correction takes into account the attraction by terrain while the free-air correction does not
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

matematika wrote:2. is there any list of scientists? Every single new practice test I take, they're like 10 new ones. I can't seem to find a complete list.
Make a list and add to it every time you take a test.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
matematika

Post by matematika »

Would division C invitationals be division B states level?

And please, just a few examples? I really can't find anything anywhere.
matematika

Post by matematika »

Plus, I haven't seen any tests with questions on intracratonic basins or specific types of these basins (not like ocean basins or the Wilson Cycle, but the requirements specified by 3d), so what do they really mean by tectonic basins?
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

matematika wrote:Plus, I haven't seen any tests with questions on intracratonic basins or specific types of these basins (not like ocean basins or the Wilson Cycle, but the requirements specified by 3d), so what do they really mean by tectonic basins?
I think that's exactly what they mean by tectonic basins (so theoretically they should be on tests). I think that there just might be less focus on them this year.
matematika

Post by matematika »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
matematika wrote:Plus, I haven't seen any tests with questions on intracratonic basins or specific types of these basins (not like ocean basins or the Wilson Cycle, but the requirements specified by 3d), so what do they really mean by tectonic basins?
I think that's exactly what they mean by tectonic basins (so theoretically they should be on tests). I think that there just might be less focus on them this year.
Thanks! How does Invitationals-level compare with States-level?
knottingpurple
State: NJ

Post by knottingpurple »

matematika wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Thanks! How does Invitationals-level compare with States-level?
This really depends on what state and what invitational - NJ States, for div C, was a super basic, rather short test I was sure everybody aced, while the only NJ invitational, PUSO, had a really long, challenging test with interpretive questions of types I haven't seen anywhere else, which the top score on was like 60%.
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University

Return to “2018 Study Events”