Dynamic Planet B/C

jimmy-bond
Division: Grad
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by jimmy-bond »

PikaPikaChu wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:That sounds really unfortunate, but I guess there's not much we can do to force every competition to give a good test :/ What kind of data interpretation was it?
True, true. My partner and I split up the test so I don't remember that much. But from what I can, it was (1) completing/labeling an incomplete picture of the Grand Canyon, (2) graphing/plotting volcanoes on a graph, (3) asking where and the rate the Yellowstone Hotspot moved, and I don't quite remember the fourth. (3) was one question that we already had in our notes, but the rest threw us off.
The scientist multiple choice section was also wrong. It asked about who first proposed the idea of hotspots, but didn't have Wilson as one of the answers. It also asked about magnetism and oceanography, but had both Hess, Vine, and Matthews as answer choices.
For the hotspot question, was William Jason Morgan an option?
As for the magnetism one, who else was an option? I could see Bernard Brunhes or Lawrence Morley being the answer, or it could've been Hess, since Vine and Matthews worked together.
PCHS, HI '21 | CWRU, OH '25
Code(16), DD(40), FQ(39),4&6(36), WQ(27)
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)
PikaPikaChu
Division: C
State: KS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by PikaPikaChu »

jimmy-bond wrote:
PikaPikaChu wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:That sounds really unfortunate, but I guess there's not much we can do to force every competition to give a good test :/ What kind of data interpretation was it?
True, true. My partner and I split up the test so I don't remember that much. But from what I can, it was (1) completing/labeling an incomplete picture of the Grand Canyon, (2) graphing/plotting volcanoes on a graph, (3) asking where and the rate the Yellowstone Hotspot moved, and I don't quite remember the fourth. (3) was one question that we already had in our notes, but the rest threw us off.
The scientist multiple choice section was also wrong. It asked about who first proposed the idea of hotspots, but didn't have Wilson as one of the answers. It also asked about magnetism and oceanography, but had both Hess, Vine, and Matthews as answer choices.
For the hotspot question, was William Jason Morgan an option?
As for the magnetism one, who else was an option? I could see Bernard Brunhes or Lawrence Morley being the answer, or it could've been Hess, since Vine and Matthews worked together.
Yes he was, but they simply listed him as Jason Morgan. We did end up choosing him as our answer because that was the closest we had in our notes. But, Brunhes and Morley weren't even offered as an option. I'm pretty sure we also picked Hess as our answer for the magnetism one.
PikaPikaChu's Userpage
Blue Valley North High School Wiki
Follow us on Instagram! https://www.instagram.com/bvnscioly/
2019 State Events: WIDI (7), Geomaps (1), Mopple (4), Dynamic Planet (1), 4n6 (1)
2019 Nats: Dynamic Planet (6)
Rosewillow

Post by Rosewillow »

What is a good way to study lava types?
RyanMist
State: NY

Post by RyanMist »

What me and my partner did is make a chart with the different types of lava and there viscosity, temperature, etc.
Events: Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Roller Coaster, Dynamic Planet, Road Scholar
NovaXY1

Post by NovaXY1 »

I know this hasn't been posted on in a year and it's now 2018, but what are some of the things that will be on the Dynamic Planet test for nationals that are outside of the rules or difficult (like from last year)? I'm just wondering because I won 1st at my state competition (Mississippi Division B) and this is my main event (of course the event schedule cuts me out of rocks & minerals). Any thoughts?
NovaXY1

Post by NovaXY1 »

:D I didn't see the other posts said 2018....
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

NovaXY1 wrote::D I didn't see the other posts said 2018....
If Russ Crittenden writes the test for Div B again (imo, likely) I would expect it to be a large number of free response questions. Expect it it be quite difficult though - comparable to the free response section on this test except perhaps 60+ of these.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
NovaXY1

Post by NovaXY1 »

:shock: Now I'm kind of scared. I guess it's time to redo my notes!
PikaPikaChu
State: KS

Post by PikaPikaChu »

My partner and I's notes are so full, but still lacking so many vital pieces of info and scientists. Every time I delete an obscure piece of info, I feel like it's going to be on the Nats test. :-x
PikaPikaChu's Userpage
Blue Valley North High School Wiki
Follow us on Instagram! https://www.instagram.com/bvnscioly/
2019 State Events: WIDI (7), Geomaps (1), Mopple (4), Dynamic Planet (1), 4n6 (1)
2019 Nats: Dynamic Planet (6)
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

PikaPikaChu wrote:My partner and I's notes are so full, but still lacking so many vital pieces of info and scientists. Every time I delete an obscure piece of info, I feel like it's going to be on the Nats test. :-x
Smaller font and generally better compression. In six years, I've never filled up a notesheet - the Dynamic Planet notesheet I brought to Nationals last year (and medaled with) comprised 3 sides of a page.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2018 Study Events”