Dynamic Planet B/C

OrigamiPlanet
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

knottingpurple wrote:
skiski wrote:Hello! Can someone possibly help me determine the meaning of letter F: "Continental drifts role on opening and closure of ocean gateways/ land bridges, with specific reference to ocean circulation changes, climate change, and biotic migrations"? I took some notes on the land bridge theory, but I'm completely lost on everything else. What do I search up to find information on this topic?
Thanks in advance! :D
I can remember people being weirded out by that bit last year as well, I think part of it might be the ability of the West Wind Drift to circulate after the other continents separated from Antarctica, and another bit is talking about speciation as a result of physical separation of species, but I haven't yet found any good sources on this bit.
So far, in my notes, the only thing I have are what land bridges and ocean gateways are, and how they relate to biology in general. I know it doesn't sound much, but you should try and google "ocean gateways" and find something that has even the slightest bit of information. This is definitely one of the most ambiguous topics for dynamic planet, and I rarely see questions like this appear; that doesn't mean your next competition definitely won't include it though, as anything goes.
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events
Astronomy; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet

Howdy partner ;)

Email me for anything! Aliases are HeeYaww and v_v_vle
jonathanzhang53
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by jonathanzhang53 »

On Topic C, there is plate types as a subsection of the topic.
c. Driving forces of plate tectonics, types of plates, boundaries and margins.

but then there is also boundaries

so if plate types arent going to be divergent, convergent, which are boundaries, then what does it mean?
knottingpurple
Division: Grad
State: NJ

Post by knottingpurple »

jonathanzhang53 wrote:On Topic C, there is plate types as a subsection of the topic.
c. Driving forces of plate tectonics, types of plates, boundaries and margins.

but then there is also boundaries

so if plate types arent going to be divergent, convergent, which are boundaries, then what does it mean?
I interpreted "types of plates" as referring to major, minor and microplates, but there are probably other possible classifications as well. Tectonic plates themselves can have all sorts of different characteristics, as well as the boundaries between them, being made of primarily oceanic or continental crust, their ages, being a remnant plate of an ancient plate, and it seems like any of those characteristics are fair game.
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
scioly2012

Post by scioly2012 »

Hi! My sister is subbing in for this event on Saturday and is expected to study and come up with a notesheet. She's in Division B. How can she best spend the one night she has in preparation so as not to completely bomb? Any info is very much appreciated, thank you in advance! :D
Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

scioly2012 wrote:Hi! My sister is subbing in for this event on Saturday and is expected to study and come up with a notesheet. She's in Division B. How can she best spend the one night she has in preparation so as not to completely bomb? Any info is very much appreciated, thank you in advance! :D
  • Some good info to put on there includes:
  • Thickness of each layer of the earth
  • Types of plate boundaries (divergent, convergent, transform)
  • The plates of the earth
  • The discontinuities (Moho, etc.)
  • Info about important scientists
  • Subduction zones vs. mid-ocean ridges
Last edited by Tailsfan101 on December 14th, 2017, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
scioly2012

Post by scioly2012 »

Tailsfan101 wrote:
scioly2012 wrote:Hi! My sister is subbing in for this event on Saturday and is expected to study and come up with a notesheet. She's in Division B. How can she best spend the one night she has in preparation so as not to completely bomb? Any info is very much appreciated, thank you in advance! :D
  • Some good info to include on there includes:
Thank you so much!! <3 <3 <3
knottingpurple

Post by knottingpurple »

scioly2012 wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote:
Agreed, basic info on the layers of the earth (not just thickness, but also knowing the order of the layers, haha) is probably one of the easiest things which come up often.
Also, lots and lots of tests will have a map of tectonic plates which needs to be labelled, so just include a labelled diagram of these and that's useful as well.
History as well, about important scientists, is not something you need to learn in detail so much as just have listed on your notes sheet, so that's straightforward to learn quickly.
About the types of plate boundaries and subduction zones and mid-ocean ridges, I would recommend learning at little about in particular the basic features associated with them, trenches and island arcs, because those seem to me to come up pretty often.

Good luck.
OrigamiPlanet
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

knottingpurple wrote:
scioly2012 wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote:
Agreed, basic info on the layers of the earth (not just thickness, but also knowing the order of the layers, haha) is probably one of the easiest things which come up often.
Also, lots and lots of tests will have a map of tectonic plates which needs to be labelled, so just include a labelled diagram of these and that's useful as well.
History as well, about important scientists, is not something you need to learn in detail so much as just have listed on your notes sheet, so that's straightforward to learn quickly.
About the types of plate boundaries and subduction zones and mid-ocean ridges, I would recommend learning at little about in particular the basic features associated with them, trenches and island arcs, because those seem to me to come up pretty often.

Good luck.
There is usually a math portion involved in these tests as well, which ask you to know how far a plate is going, usually centimeters per year. I would make sure you know how to do that, and maybe with significant figures as well. There may also be questions dedicated a lot on to America's hot spots, specifically Yellowstone and Hawaii. Learn those and their histories. Lastly, know isostasy, it's more than likely going to appear on the test, and usually those are some of the harder questions. Getting those may give you the edge.
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events
Astronomy; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet

Howdy partner ;)

Email me for anything! Aliases are HeeYaww and v_v_vle
knottingpurple

Post by knottingpurple »

OrigamiPlanet wrote:
knottingpurple wrote:
scioly2012 wrote:

Good luck.
There is usually a math portion involved in these tests as well, which ask you to know how far a plate is going, usually centimeters per year. I would make sure you know how to do that, and maybe with significant figures as well. There may also be questions dedicated a lot on to America's hot spots, specifically Yellowstone and Hawaii. Learn those and their histories. Lastly, know isostasy, it's more than likely going to appear on the test, and usually those are some of the harder questions. Getting those may give you the edge.
That's all good advice, I think the original question said the person was going to compete in DP in an invitational this Saturday so it won't help them very much anymore, but good advice for the next person who has to learn this event in a day, lol. :D
scioly2012

Post by scioly2012 »

knottingpurple wrote:
OrigamiPlanet wrote:
knottingpurple wrote:

Good luck.
That's all good advice, I think the original question said the person was going to compete in DP in an invitational this Saturday so it won't help them very much anymore, but good advice for the next person who has to learn this event in a day, lol. :D
Thank you everyone! My sister ended up placing in the middle, which is decent considering she only had a day to prepare! :D

Return to “2018 Study Events”