Dynamic Planet B/C

matematika
Division: B
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by matematika »

Would division C invitationals be division B states level?

And please, just a few examples? I really can't find anything anywhere.
2017 - Herpetology, Dynamic Planet, Solar System
matematika

Post by matematika »

Plus, I haven't seen any tests with questions on intracratonic basins or specific types of these basins (not like ocean basins or the Wilson Cycle, but the requirements specified by 3d), so what do they really mean by tectonic basins?
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

matematika wrote:Plus, I haven't seen any tests with questions on intracratonic basins or specific types of these basins (not like ocean basins or the Wilson Cycle, but the requirements specified by 3d), so what do they really mean by tectonic basins?
I think that's exactly what they mean by tectonic basins (so theoretically they should be on tests). I think that there just might be less focus on them this year.
matematika

Post by matematika »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
matematika wrote:Plus, I haven't seen any tests with questions on intracratonic basins or specific types of these basins (not like ocean basins or the Wilson Cycle, but the requirements specified by 3d), so what do they really mean by tectonic basins?
I think that's exactly what they mean by tectonic basins (so theoretically they should be on tests). I think that there just might be less focus on them this year.
Thanks! How does Invitationals-level compare with States-level?
knottingpurple
Division: Grad
State: NJ

Post by knottingpurple »

matematika wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Thanks! How does Invitationals-level compare with States-level?
This really depends on what state and what invitational - NJ States, for div C, was a super basic, rather short test I was sure everybody aced, while the only NJ invitational, PUSO, had a really long, challenging test with interpretive questions of types I haven't seen anywhere else, which the top score on was like 60%.
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
PikaPikaChu
State: KS

Post by PikaPikaChu »

The Kansas state test was a total scam. There were 4 obscure questions about interpreting data (that no one had ever seen before at the invitationals) and 6 multiple choice questions at the end asking about scientists (eg: Who formally proposed the idea of continental drift?).
PikaPikaChu's Userpage
Blue Valley North High School Wiki
Follow us on Instagram! https://www.instagram.com/bvnscioly/
2019 State Events: WIDI (7), Geomaps (1), Mopple (4), Dynamic Planet (1), 4n6 (1)
2019 Nats: Dynamic Planet (6)
RyanMist

Post by RyanMist »

The scientists seems reasonable but the interpreting data (unless it was types of waves or earthquakes) is weird. How did you do?
Events: Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Roller Coaster, Dynamic Planet, Road Scholar
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

That sounds really unfortunate, but I guess there's not much we can do to force every competition to give a good test :/ What kind of data interpretation was it?
PikaPikaChu

Post by PikaPikaChu »

RyanMist wrote:The scientists seems reasonable but the interpreting data (unless it was types of waves or earthquakes) is weird. How did you do?
We did okay (5th), considering the circumstances. It was unfortunate that all of my partner and I's notes were completely useless though- hours and hours of gathering information that was wasted.
The scientist section was also quite sketchy, see my post after this one for examples.
Last edited by PikaPikaChu on April 8th, 2018, 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PikaPikaChu's Userpage
2019 State Events: WIDI (7), Geomaps (1), Mopple (4), Dynamic Planet (1), 4n6 (1)
PikaPikaChu

Post by PikaPikaChu »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:That sounds really unfortunate, but I guess there's not much we can do to force every competition to give a good test :/ What kind of data interpretation was it?
True, true. My partner and I split up the test so I don't remember that much. But from what I can, it was (1) completing/labeling an incomplete picture of the Grand Canyon, (2) graphing/plotting volcanoes on a graph, (3) asking where and the rate the Yellowstone Hotspot moved, and I don't quite remember the fourth. (3) was one question that we already had in our notes, but the rest threw us off.
The scientist multiple choice section was also wrong. It asked about who first proposed the idea of hotspots, but didn't have Wilson as one of the answers. It also asked about magnetism and oceanography, but had both Hess, Vine, and Matthews as answer choices.
PikaPikaChu's Userpage

Return to “2018 Study Events”