Dynamic Planet B/C

knottingpurple
Division: Grad
State: NJ

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by knottingpurple »

Unome wrote:
PikaPikaChu wrote:My partner and I's notes are so full, but still lacking so many vital pieces of info and scientists. Every time I delete an obscure piece of info, I feel like it's going to be on the Nats test. :-x
Smaller font and generally better compression. In six years, I've never filled up a notesheet - the Dynamic Planet notesheet I brought to Nationals last year (and medaled with) comprised 3 sides of a page.
Idk how compressed you are before, but it's always worth ctrl-f'ing filler words, punctuation, a/an/the, dashes with space around them, etc, and deleting any unnecessary stuff you find, I have definitely freed up loads of space going to worthless stuff like that. Plus, why are you deleting obscure details? You should be deleting the easy stuff you always have memorized. Like, my original DP tectonics note sheet had a section for each thing on the rules, and then a definition of that, explanations of how it occurred, etc, but I know those now, so they were reduced to just lists of examples or other things I couldn't remember easily.
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
jimmy-bond
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by jimmy-bond »

NovaXY1 wrote:I know this hasn't been posted on in a year and it's now 2018, but what are some of the things that will be on the Dynamic Planet test for nationals that are outside of the rules or difficult (like from last year)? I'm just wondering because I won 1st at my state competition (Mississippi Division B) and this is my main event (of course the event schedule cuts me out of rocks & minerals). Any thoughts?
I just took the nationals test today, because I wasn't in DP at nats last year. There were some radioactive decay problems. Although no one can predict what will be on the test, it might be the same topics if the same person writes it.
PCHS, HI '21 | CWRU, OH '25
Code(16), DD(40), FQ(39),4&6(36), WQ(27)
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)
NovaXY1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by NovaXY1 »

What I did with my notes to organize it is I color-coded it by topic. I then highlighted important words or phrases and put corresponding pictures next to what the picture was based on. I also had it at 0.2 margins on all sides and 6 font size.
LiteralRhinoceros
Division: C

Post by LiteralRhinoceros »

For the div C people: what gravity anomaly calculations and such did you find when you found Quartini was the ES?
Dank Memes Area Homeschool 2017-2019

Community MS '19
WW-P HS North '23

Events: DyPlan, GeoMapping, Astro

Userpage
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Post by dxu46 »

Anyone have old Glaciers rules/etc.?
knottingpurple

Post by knottingpurple »

dxu46 wrote:Anyone have old Glaciers rules/etc.?
I remember looking at some last year when they were considering changing the location, I guess I can try to find them again...
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
builderbabes46
State: FL

Post by builderbabes46 »

disappointed by the lack of gravity anomalies on nationals :((
Boca Raton High School Science Olympiad
Events: Astronomy, Chem Lab, Dynamic Planet, Experimental Design, Fermi Questions, Forensics, Fossils, Geologic Mapping, Protein Modeling, Water Quality
allopathie
State: PA

Post by allopathie »

Enrica Quartini is finishing up her grad studies and probably played less of a role or did not contribute to the test writing at all.
Harriton '18, Penn '22.
birdylayaduck08
State: TX

Post by birdylayaduck08 »

allopathie wrote:Enrica Quartini is finishing up her grad studies and probably played less of a role or did not contribute to the test writing at all.
I remember hearing that in the opening ceremony, the announcer said "one of our event supervisors, Enrica Quartini...", so I'm not sure about her involvement in the test. Looking at the test itself though it felt like she had nothing to do with it
Seven Lakes High School '19
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

birdylayaduck08 wrote:
allopathie wrote:Enrica Quartini is finishing up her grad studies and probably played less of a role or did not contribute to the test writing at all.
I remember hearing that in the opening ceremony, the announcer said "one of our event supervisors, Enrica Quartini...", so I'm not sure about her involvement in the test. Looking at the test itself though it felt like she had nothing to do with it
I noticed Quartini wasn't listed on the tournament program, only Harwood - based on that, I specifically told my team to expect a rather poorly-written test and to look over his 2016 Nationals test (which I guess ended up working, they got 10th).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2018 Study Events”