Dynamic Planet B/C

knottingpurple
Division: Grad
State: NJ

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Postby knottingpurple » January 2nd, 2018, 2:07 pm

OrigamiPlanet wrote:
Pettywap wrote:In the rules its talks about hydro-thermals and hydrocarbons, but what are they and what could be tested on them?

Hydrocarbons sounds like what it is - molecules of hydrogen and carbon. They can form in things like hydrothermals, which are heated water vents. The hydrocarbons can be used as evidence for certain reactions.

That's just the general summary, so I'm not sure if this would be of much use. You'll have to look into it more from there.

Hydrocarbons are one of the primary things in oil (petroleum), so basically think about petroleum-forming conditions when it asks about hydrocarbons, and how those might be affected by tectonic features.

Also, about hydrothermals, I think it's talking about not just hydrothermal vents, but all circulation of water through seafloor sediments and basalts.

This is one part of the rules that changed since last year, so I don't really know what types of questions are normally asked about it.
"She was determined to drop his acquaintance immediately, and she was very thankful that she had never been acquainted with him at all... she hated him so much that she was resolved never to mention his name again, and she should tell everybody she saw, how good-for-nothing he was."

fuzzball
State: -

Postby fuzzball » January 5th, 2018, 10:09 am

Dose anyone know what the stars are for?

fuzzball

Postby fuzzball » January 5th, 2018, 10:10 am

Is anyone out there besides me? :( :( :(

knottingpurple

Postby knottingpurple » January 5th, 2018, 11:14 am

fuzzball wrote:Dose anyone know what the stars are for?

Which stars do you mean? Is the dynamic planet thread the right place to be asking this?
"She was determined to drop his acquaintance immediately, and she was very thankful that she had never been acquainted with him at all... she hated him so much that she was resolved never to mention his name again, and she should tell everybody she saw, how good-for-nothing he was."

Pettywap
Division: C
State: PA

Postby Pettywap » January 5th, 2018, 12:21 pm

If you are wondering about the stars under your username, those stars are not really important.
"Who's Fettywap?"

OrigamiPlanet

Postby OrigamiPlanet » January 6th, 2018, 8:05 pm

Pettywap wrote:

If you are wondering about the stars under your username, those stars are not really important.

They’re just little indicators of how much people contribute, nothing special.
Also, is it just me, or are the topics more inclined to more history and chemistry-related question’s this year and slightly less on plate tectonics themselves?
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events: Battle at Valley Forge/MC Barons
Codebusters (3/3); Dynamic Planet (3/1); Astronomy (-/2)

Substitute in Event
Geologic Mapping (-/2)

Email me for anything!

Pettywap

Postby Pettywap » January 6th, 2018, 8:16 pm

OrigamiPlanet wrote:
Pettywap wrote:

Also, is it just me, or are the topics more inclined to more history and chemistry-related question’s this year and slightly less on plate tectonics themselves?

Really? I'm going to an invitational this weekend so I guess I'll find out
"Who's Fettywap?"

knottingpurple

Postby knottingpurple » January 6th, 2018, 8:22 pm

Pettywap wrote:
OrigamiPlanet wrote:
Pettywap wrote:If you are wondering about the stars under your username, those stars are not really important.

Really? I'm going to an invitational this weekend so I guess I'll find out

Yeah, I've taken a couple of invitational tests from this year but not yet actually gone to an invitational, and I don't think I've taken enough DP tests to say if there's a general trend one way or the other...

Pettywap

Postby Pettywap » January 7th, 2018, 9:16 am

fffurious wrote:What's a good way to format your notes for this event? I've only ever happened to do events with 1-page note sheets, and I'm wondering what the best way to organize notes for this is.

I think you should have columns because it is unlikely that you will be putting huge paragraphs. I think you should put pictures with pictures if you have any.
"Who's Fettywap?"

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Postby Skink » January 15th, 2018, 10:00 am

To answer a question raised some time ago, I found a lot of the gravity anomaly material in geophysics texts. What I'm still lacking solid sourcing for is the tectonic history (especially NA) and future projections stuff. It's all in bits and pieces, but, surely, there's a singular reference somewhere...

knottingpurple

Postby knottingpurple » January 15th, 2018, 1:48 pm

Skink wrote:To answer a question raised some time ago, I found a lot of the gravity anomaly material in geophysics texts. What I'm still lacking solid sourcing for is the tectonic history (especially NA) and future projections stuff. It's all in bits and pieces, but, surely, there's a singular reference somewhere...

I found a book over the summer with memoirs from like 12 people from the first half of the 20th century who were involved in the development of plate tectonics and like it was cool I guess but it didn't seem all that scientific so...

S.liiin

Postby S.liiin » January 15th, 2018, 3:11 pm

:!: For 3-f: How does continental drift play a role in the opening and closing of ocean gateways and land bridges specifically? Can someone also list specific examples of ocean circulation changes, climate changes, and biotic migrations? This topic seems so broad... do they expect us to reference most of the changes and migrations since 3 billion years ago?? I have searched for days to no avail :cry: any help would be so greatly appreciated!!

Pettywap

Postby Pettywap » January 15th, 2018, 3:17 pm

S.liiin wrote::!: For 3-f: How does continental drift play a role in the opening and closing of ocean gateways and land bridges specifically? Can someone also list specific examples of ocean circulation changes, climate changes, and biotic migrations? This topic seems so broad... do they expect us to reference most of the changes and migrations since 3 billion years ago?? I have searched for days to no avail :cry: any help would be so greatly appreciated!!

I don't find a lot of these things, but they usually don't ask you this stuff too much. Landbridges I don't see a lot of only the fact that it hypothetically could've helped move many living things (based on fossils maybe). With ocean circulation just look it up and you should be able to find pictures and explanations on the current's movements.
"Who's Fettywap?"

knottingpurple

Postby knottingpurple » January 15th, 2018, 3:26 pm

Pettywap wrote:
S.liiin wrote::!: For 3-f: How does continental drift play a role in the opening and closing of ocean gateways and land bridges specifically? Can someone also list specific examples of ocean circulation changes, climate changes, and biotic migrations? This topic seems so broad... do they expect us to reference most of the changes and migrations since 3 billion years ago?? I have searched for days to no avail :cry: any help would be so greatly appreciated!!

I don't find a lot of these things, but they usually don't ask you this stuff too much. Landbridges I don't see a lot of only the fact that it hypothetically could've helped move many living things (based on fossils maybe). With ocean circulation just look it up and you should be able to find pictures and explanations on the current's movements.

If you don't feel like looking through every page of this forum I don't blame you, but fyi, lots of other people have asked the exact same question you have, so I wouldn't be quite so worried about it. I know the opening of the Antarctic Circumpolar current is the current thing I've seen the most...

matematika
Division: B
State: NY

Postby matematika » January 16th, 2018, 1:42 pm

I know what is going to be tested (topics-wise), but I'm not sure where to get resources. My school had tryouts for the team (of course), and I was able to find what I needed easily, but now I don't know where they are. Any online resources or books (*books*) for recommendation please (other than the soinc.org PDF links)? Thanks!
2017 - Herpetology, Dynamic Planet, Solar System

Return to “2018 Study Events”