Ecology B/C

depo1213
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ecology B/C

Post by depo1213 »

Raven wrote:
fffurious wrote:Any textbook recommendations for Ecology?
I use Ecology: Concepts and Applications by Cengage, but there are a ton of others available.
Is the book very helpful? Like was basically everything u need in the book?
depo1213

Post by depo1213 »

Are there other helpful ways to study for this event other than through textbooks? Like videos, ppt?
bmd234
Division: C
State: NY

Post by bmd234 »

depo1213 wrote:Are there other helpful ways to study for this event other than through textbooks? Like videos, ppt?
Oof, I personally hate using textbooks... Scioly Wiki is always helpful for me so definitely check to see if there's anything is on there that you need. I recommend just watching specific YouTube videos on whatever you're trying to learn about and then writing whatever you think is most important into your notesheet. Other than that, look at old tests (even though it's a new topic you may still need some old vocab words) and just Google the questions you have, which I know is pretty obvious. pigeon, even ask the questions you just can't seem to get the answer to on this forum.There's a lot of ways to find information as long as you're willing to put the time in :D
Raven

Post by Raven »

depo1213 wrote:Are there other helpful ways to study for this event other than through textbooks? Like videos, ppt?
Really depends on your learning style. I, personally, retain information by physically writing things down and attaching visual imagery (drawing stuff) in my notes. I have an entire binder of Science Olympiad notes that I regularly flip through and reread (sometimes rewriting them if I forget some stuff). I tried watching videos (Khan Academy is great! so is Bozeman Science and Crash Course, and many other youtubers have specific niche topics), but I'm not very good at remembering video content (or lectures, for that matter). Skimming through websites and writing down information is also good, but watch out for unreliable sites.
Birds, Fossils, WQ, Circuit Lab
Raven

Post by Raven »

depo1213 wrote:
Raven wrote:
fffurious wrote:Any textbook recommendations for Ecology?
I use Ecology: Concepts and Applications by Cengage, but there are a ton of others available.
Is the book very helpful? Like was basically everything u need in the book?
Ehhh....not really, there isn't a textbook tailored specifically for Science Olympiad Ecology. I think Ecology: Concepts and Applications is as close to it as you can get, but there is information that you won't need in there (sometimes they go too in detail, and they also have 40 pages on biomes we don't need to know about). I suggest reading through it, but also look at other sites, books, people, etc. for supplemental information.
Birds, Fossils, WQ, Circuit Lab
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Hi! I am a student at my school. My partner and I are doing ecology and it is our first time doing the event ecology. We have no idea what to expect and any help would be greatly appreciated. If you can help us in any way. Please respond ASAP. Thanks!
-Lisa :)
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Lisa wrote:Hi! I am a student at my school. My partner and I are doing ecology and it is our first time doing the event ecology. We have no idea what to expect and any help would be greatly appreciated. If you can help us in any way. Please respond ASAP. Thanks!
I moved your post to the Ecology thread, where it's more likely to get responses.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Thanks! I really appreciate it. :)
Polarrr

Post by Polarrr »

Lisa wrote:Hi! I am a student at my school. My partner and I are doing ecology and it is our first time doing the event ecology. We have no idea what to expect and any help would be greatly appreciated. If you can help us in any way. Please respond ASAP. Thanks!
My suggestion for you is to get a good grasp on the general ecology concepts stated in the rules. Then, branch off to the specific biomes listed for this year and get a good understanding of how you can apply those concepts to the biomes.
Fridaychimp
State: TX

Post by Fridaychimp »

Polarrr wrote:
My suggestion for you is to get a good grasp on the general ecology concepts stated in the rules. Then, branch off to the specific biomes listed for this year and get a good understanding of how you can apply those concepts to the biomes.
I definitely agree. In my experience, eco tests tend to focus on the general concepts, even though the rules say the sections should be even. I would recommend that you go through the ecology unit in the biology course on Khan Academy to start off.
Seven Lakes Junior High '17, Seven Lakes High School '21

Return to “2018 Study Events”