Ecology B/C

knottingpurple
Division: Grad
State: NJ

Re: Ecology B/C

Post by knottingpurple »

allopathie wrote:Just got the Nats packet from last year. Ecology C test was out of 84 points; high (Pembroke Hill) was 64, average was 51.48, low was 31.5. Difference between 6th (Troy) and 1st was 2 or 3 points; I placed 7th last year with a 60. There is a tie between 6th, 5th, and 4th, and there appears to be a 10 teams that have basically the same score (49-51) that placed 35-45. 45th place got 49 points if the graph is accurate. Retook the test and many of the answers were completely unreasonable for what the questions asked.

Sincerely hope they have someone else write the test this year.
I didn't compete in this event at Nats last year, but I remember seeing lots of memes on Facebook afterwards about how poor of a test it was, even before anyone could see the answer key or score distributions, so I fully believe you that the test was badly made.
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
Chameleon02
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Chameleon02 »

Just to confirm, questions on primary and secondary succession wont appear until states?
Last&SeventhYearSciolyer
2020 Events: Boomilever, Wright Stuff, Protein, Chem lab, Gravvy
The Air Trajectory nostalgia hits hard
kate!
State: NY

Post by kate! »

Chameleon02 wrote:Just to confirm, questions on primary and secondary succession wont appear until states?
I don't think this is true, I'm division B and we have found several questions about succession on practice tests from actual competitions. The only topics that should be included but aren't used until states are explicitly mentioned on the manual, and as succession is one of the general, basic principles of ecology, it seems very likely that the topic would be included on your tests.
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
Alex25

Post by Alex25 »

Guys,
Help my choose a theme for this year's WaterFest!

Final vote is between: "Let it Flow", "Be the Solution to Water Pollution", and "Living the Stream"
y1008083
Division: B
State: TX

Post by y1008083 »

Living the stream
Alex25

Post by Alex25 »

y1008083
Thanks a lot!
mynameisbob
Division: B
State: TN

Post by mynameisbob »

Hi, will they be testing on distribution and niches in the B ecology? what other things should I not bother studying if i'm doing test B?
Thanks,
Bob
kate!
State: NY

Post by kate! »

mynameisbob wrote:Hi, will they be testing on distribution and niches in the B ecology? what other things should I not bother studying if i'm doing test B?
Thanks,
Bob
You should definitely study distribution and niches, I have seen them on almost every test I've taken. Make sure you understand them, they are key concepts in ecology. As for your second question, there is nothing you shouldn't bother studying. The key to doing well is knowing a wide range of information, so you should make sure to research and add to your notesheet as many topics as you can. Of course, if there's something that's common sense, like the definition of basic words like migration or pollution, you can leave those out.
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
Chameleon02
State: MI

Post by Chameleon02 »

Does anyone have any sites that may be useful for the biomes? The ones cited on Soinc are not nearly enough detailed for the invitationals I have been to, especially states tmrw
Last&SeventhYearSciolyer
2020 Events: Boomilever, Wright Stuff, Protein, Chem lab, Gravvy
The Air Trajectory nostalgia hits hard
NovaXY1

Post by NovaXY1 »

I was just put on Ecology because of national tournament scheduling conflicts. I understand the basic concepts of pretty much everything in the rules and I'm trying to learn more. Do you think I will need to learn chemotroughs, and all the sub-classes such as methanogens, halophiles, and more?

Return to “2018 Study Events”