State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Ecology B/C

Post by bernard »

Ecology Wiki
Ecology Test Exchange 2018
Past Threads: 2010, 2011, 2017
Past Question Marathons: 2017
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Fridaychimp
Division: C
State: TX

Re: Ecology B/C

Post by Fridaychimp »

Anybody notice that the "next year's focus" part is gone from the biomes section? Ecology may be leaving us next year, and it looks like the next event in rotation is Water Quality. :cry:
Seven Lakes Junior High '17, Seven Lakes High School '21
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Fridaychimp wrote:Anybody notice that the "next year's focus" part is gone from the biomes section? Ecology may be leaving us next year, and it looks like the next event in rotation is Water Quality. :cry:
It's rather more than "may", I'd say - Water Quality is expected to return next year. The Bio committee is pretty consistent with their rotations.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Post by Skink »

Honestly, WQ is like Green Gen in that it's the same event as Eco but with more information. And, while WQ is an acquired taste, if you like ID events, I think there's stuff to like there.
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by gneissisnice »

Skink wrote:Honestly, WQ is like Green Gen in that it's the same event as Eco but with more information. And, while WQ is an acquired taste, if you like ID events, I think there's stuff to like there.
I really enjoyed Water Quality, the ID is a nice addition and I feel like aquatic biomes are more fun anyway.

Green Gen and Ecology are really similar, but Green Gen has more about human impact and laws while Ecology has the biomes. But then with Remote Sensing ALSO having the topic of climate change/human impact, there really is a ton of overlap.

I guess there are worse topics to have a lot of though, haha, especially since it's such a hot topic now anyway.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
ScottMaurer19
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

gneissisnice wrote:
Skink wrote:Honestly, WQ is like Green Gen in that it's the same event as Eco but with more information. And, while WQ is an acquired taste, if you like ID events, I think there's stuff to like there.
I really enjoyed Water Quality, the ID is a nice addition and I feel like aquatic biomes are more fun anyway.

Green Gen and Ecology are really similar, but Green Gen has more about human impact and laws while Ecology has the biomes. But then with Remote Sensing ALSO having the topic of climate change/human impact, there really is a ton of overlap.

I guess there are worse topics to have a lot of though, haha, especially since it's such a hot topic now anyway.
I like water quality better myself. The aquatic biomes are much more fun.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
CVMSAvalacheStudent
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by CVMSAvalacheStudent »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
gneissisnice wrote:

Yes, water is a lot more interesting.
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs
Fridaychimp
State: TX

Post by Fridaychimp »

CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:
gneissisnice wrote:

But it sucks because 3 years of studying terrestrial biomes goes down the drain (see what I did there?)
Seven Lakes Junior High '17, Seven Lakes High School '21
ScottMaurer19
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Fridaychimp wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote: I like water quality better myself. The aquatic biomes are much more fun.
But it sucks because 3 years of studying terrestrial biomes goes down the drain (see what I did there?)
My studying was minimal. I was protesting the lack of an aquatic event.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
CVMSAvalacheStudent
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by CVMSAvalacheStudent »

Fridaychimp wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote: I like water quality better myself. The aquatic biomes are much more fun.
Nice.
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs

Return to “2018 Study Events”