bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Fermi Questions C

Post by bernard »

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
jkang
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fermi Questions C

Post by jkang »

Best event (had a blast proctoring this at MIT last year)!
UT Austin '19
Liberal Arts and Science Academy '15
Ashernoel
State: IL

Post by Ashernoel »

jkang wrote:Best event (had a blast proctoring this at MIT last year)!
Hey bro! I took the test and placed like 20th haha, but after reading the nats training packet your test included a lot of multistep ones with large exponente and looked very official with appropriate space for each question. I didn't do well, but it was a fun experience :)

I hope you find more invites to make tests for as they'd be super lucky to have you :D
NT '19
Harvard '23
whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by whythelongface »

Interested in Fermi, but since I have no idea about the magnitudes of anything, it seems really impossibly hard to me.
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South/Grover for winning 2nd/1st place at NJ States!
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
Division: C
State: NY

Post by NeilMehta »

whythelongface wrote:Interested in Fermi, but since I have no idea about the magnitudes of anything, it seems really impossibly hard to me.
To start, try looking at something like http://www.fermiquestions.com/play to get a feel for the event, and just try to memorize some common values like the diameter of the sun, earth, moon, etc, and make sure to have surface area and volume of a sphere down to compute stuff (70% of earth's surface is water, etc)
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by whythelongface »

NeilMehta wrote:
whythelongface wrote:Interested in Fermi, but since I have no idea about the magnitudes of anything, it seems really impossibly hard to me.
To start, try looking at something like http://www.fermiquestions.com/play to get a feel for the event, and just try to memorize some common values like the diameter of the sun, earth, moon, etc, and make sure to have surface area and volume of a sphere down to compute stuff (70% of earth's surface is water, etc)
Yeah, I have looked at it, and I'm surprisingly okay at it. I mean, I am really inconsistent (either I'm off by 1-2 degrees of magnitude, or I'm off by 7+), so I guess trying out for Fermi wouldn't be the worst idea. Although, without the slider, even GUESSING an answer completely will be much harder...

Anyway, how would you tackle some of the computational ones? I managed to get within one degree of the actual answer, but I tried again for and was off by about 6 degrees...
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22

NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator

Post by NeilMehta »

whythelongface wrote:
NeilMehta wrote:
Yeah, I have looked at it, and I'm surprisingly okay at it. I mean, I am really inconsistent (either I'm off by 1-2 degrees of magnitude, or I'm off by 7+), so I guess trying out for Fermi wouldn't be the worst idea. Although, without the slider, even GUESSING an answer completely will be much harder...

Anyway, how would you tackle some of the computational ones? I managed to get within one degree of the actual answer, but I tried again for and was off by about 6 degrees...
Try estimating log base 4 of 10 - it's just a bit more than 1.5 (4^1.5=8), so try about 1.7
Then, rewrite the problem as 10^(20/1.7)
That becomes 10^11.7 which can be rounded to 10^12

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by whythelongface »

Pure genius...
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22

PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

Hello SciOly Community

This will be my first year doing Fermi Questions, and I have no clue how I'm meant to study/practice for it.
I went to the link provided earlier in this thread (http://www.fermiquestions.com/play), however, it seems that the website needs to be renewed.
Do you guys have any idea what I should use to study?

Thanks in advance!
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator

Post by NeilMehta »

PM2017 wrote:Hello SciOly Community

This will be my first year doing Fermi Questions, and I have no clue how I'm meant to study/practice for it.
I went to the link provided earlier in this thread (http://www.fermiquestions.com/play), however, it seems that the website needs to be renewed.
Do you guys have any idea what I should use to study?

Thanks in advance!
Hi!
I'd highly reccomend looking through the Fermi Quesrions Marathon here on the forums, or try one of these:
http://mathforum.org/workshops/sum96/in ... eila3.html
https://www.eduweb.vic.gov.au/edulibrar ... rimary.pdf

In addition, maybe try just setting up large exponents and prepare for pure math questions (2^50, 3^20, etc)

Return to “2018 Study Events”