Fermi Questions C

OrigamiPlanet
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Fermi Questions C

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

sluelway1973 wrote:Does Anyone have a Key for the 2006 National test?
I don't believe national test results would be revealed, however you could try looking into the test exchange if you haven't tried it yet.
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events
Astronomy; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet

Howdy partner ;)

Email me for anything! Aliases are HeeYaww and v_v_vle
CVMSAvalacheStudent
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by CVMSAvalacheStudent »

How is this a study event if you're basically estimating?
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: NY

Post by NeilMehta »

CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:How is this a study event if you're basically estimating?
Although it is estimating, you are estimating by knowing the values of important constants and knowing about different units and how to convert between them. Even though Fermi does not require competitors to find an exact value, the event expects a lot by asking for incredibly large answers, in addition to not being allowed to bring in resources or notes. In addition, it's a pretty straightforward event, with set answers for each question.
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

Is there a limit to the amount of scrap paper given to the teams?
(I don't know why, but I remember thinking we only had one piece)
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

PM2017 wrote:Is there a limit to the amount of scrap paper given to the teams?
The only limit is that imposed by the event supervisor. Really, the only thing that I can think of which would require significant hand calculations would be logarithms and other math problems.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: NY

Post by NeilMehta »

Unome wrote:
PM2017 wrote:Is there a limit to the amount of scrap paper given to the teams?
The only limit is that imposed by the event supervisor. Really, the only thing that I can think of which would require significant hand calculations would be logarithms and other math problems.
Even with something like that, unless you have pretty big handwriting, you wouldn't ever really need more than a quarter of a page or so
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
Tesel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MI

Post by Tesel »

sluelway1973 wrote:Does Anyone have a Key for the 2006 National test?
The nice thing about Fermi is it's usually possible to do research and independently check the steps for each problem (assuming you know how to relate everything that's being asked). It's going to be most helpful if you can do that process by yourself, since then you get a better feel for what you need to study better. I'll also take a look at the test for my team's practices, and if we work through it I'll post the results.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Div. C Event Lead

2018 MI Mission Possible State Champions
scioly2012

Post by scioly2012 »

Hello! I just got put into Fermi Questions, but I've never even done an inquiry event before. I'm really lost, can anyone tell me what types of units I should know? Thanks :D
whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by whythelongface »

scioly2012 wrote:Hello! I just got put into Fermi Questions, but I've never even done an inquiry event before. I'm really lost, can anyone tell me what types of units I should know? Thanks :D
I know this isn't the answer you want, but ideally you want to know as many units as possible. Start with familiarizing yourself with metric and imperial units, and what their prefixes mean. Make sure you can convert between the prefixes well (example: a meter is 1E9 nanometers, a megawatt is 1E6 watts, etc). Then, start getting an idea of how to approximate conversions between imperial and metric (a foot is about 30 centimeters, a meter is roughly a yard, a mile is about 1.6 kilometers, stuff like that). Since Fermi is about approximation, you don't have to have be precise - quick approximations are key here.

Once you have that down pat, start learning the more obscure ones. The obvious ones would be stuff like Angstroms, Light-years, Astronomical Units, Parsecs, Cubits, Grains, Troy ounces, Hogsheads, Svedbergs, etc. Wikipedia has a great list of units of length and time, if I can remember, and you should check it out.

Fermi is one wild event. Have fun!
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South/Grover for winning 2nd/1st place at NJ States!
scioly2012

Post by scioly2012 »

whythelongface wrote:
scioly2012 wrote:Hello! I just got put into Fermi Questions, but I've never even done an inquiry event before. I'm really lost, can anyone tell me what types of units I should know? Thanks :D
I know this isn't the answer you want, but ideally you want to know as many units as possible. Start with familiarizing yourself with metric and imperial units, and what their prefixes mean. Make sure you can convert between the prefixes well (example: a meter is 1E9 nanometers, a megawatt is 1E6 watts, etc). Then, start getting an idea of how to approximate conversions between imperial and metric (a foot is about 30 centimeters, a meter is roughly a yard, a mile is about 1.6 kilometers, stuff like that). Since Fermi is about approximation, you don't have to have be precise - quick approximations are key here.

Once you have that down pat, start learning the more obscure ones. The obvious ones would be stuff like Angstroms, Light-years, Astronomical Units, Parsecs, Cubits, Grains, Troy ounces, Hogsheads, Svedbergs, etc. Wikipedia has a great list of units of length and time, if I can remember, and you should check it out.

Fermi is one wild event. Have fun!
Thanks for the tips!!

Return to “2018 Study Events”