Herpetology B/C

cbrant554
Division: C
State: IN

Re: Herpetology B/C

Post by cbrant554 »

Kyanite wrote:
cbrant554 wrote:
Almandine wrote:I'm assuming by "intact" they mean no complete pages from field guides, just fragments of information scattered throughout your notes or paraphrased. Photocopying the pages would be the same as ripping out pages and putting them in your binder.
I think they mean intact by exact from the book because would they search every single binder for a page photocopied from the field guide? Like a page ripped out a field guide would be obvious because its smaller but I have more than 300 pages in my binder how would they check that?
Its honor code or on how much you are willing to risk, sure the proctor may not notice but I would not want my chance at nationals and everything I have worked towards to be ended by a single page (even if the risk is minute). Might as well just paraphrase the information into a word doc and then print that out.
I just looked over what they said about the clarification and they said "At the National Tournament, students are allowed a field guide or a binder. Intact field guides may not be placed in the binder in any form or fashion. Tabbing is allowed for whichever resource the team brings." which does lead me to believe that they do not want any form a field guide in your binder so I would now say that photocopying a field guide would be illegal and not to disobey these rules I will keep it in my field guide just in case and I would recommend anyone who does do this ask the proctor before the test weather or not it is legal. but then again this is just my opinion on the matter
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Froggie »

Technically a photocopied field guide isn’t a field guide? I thought that “intact field guide” would be either an actual page of a field guide or just the whole field guide, since they are intact.
Also, intact means
1) “not altered, broken, or impaired; remaining uninjured, sound, or whole; untouched; unblemished:”
2) “not changed or diminished; not influenced or swayed:”
3) “complete or whole, especially not castrated or emasculated.”
So...
????
It can be altered -> can be photocopied?
It can be changed -> can be photocopied?
Very confused.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie
cbrant554

Post by cbrant554 »

Froggie wrote:Technically a photocopied field guide isn’t a field guide? I thought that “intact field guide” would be either an actual page of a field guide or just the whole field guide, since they are intact.
Also, intact means
1) “not altered, broken, or impaired; remaining uninjured, sound, or whole; untouched; unblemished:”
2) “not changed or diminished; not influenced or swayed:”
3) “complete or whole, especially not castrated or emasculated.”
So...
????
It can be altered -> can be photocopied?
It can be changed -> can be photocopied?
Very confused.
I'm going to ask the proctors before the test and I would recommend the same to anyone else but I'm still going to bring the photocopied version to the test and if they ask me to remove it I will. But if you want/need it in your field guide bring it and ask.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

I would suggest not even risking breaking the rule and just incorporating the info from the field guide into the binder.
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Froggie »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:I would suggest not even risking breaking the rule and just incorporating the info from the field guide into the binder.
What would you do if you wanted the pictures?
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Froggie wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:I would suggest not even risking breaking the rule and just incorporating the info from the field guide into the binder.
Hmm, didn't think of that. I suppose you could try to find similar pictures online.
Kyanite
Division: Grad
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Kyanite »

Froggie wrote:
You could scan them/copy them, but idk if the quality would be very good if you tried to make them larger.
cbrant554

Post by cbrant554 »

Kyanite wrote:
Froggie wrote:
You could scan them/copy them, but idk if the quality would be very good if you tried to make them larger.
I think the pictures would be fine because its not information about the animal which photocopying the exact words from the field guide would even so you could probably find those pictures online. I also have seen binders from previous years at my school (2008) which use the photos from the field guide in there binder, this may be because it would have been hard to get pictures from online. I would say its fine overall though.
dvegadvol
Been thanked: 0

Post by dvegadvol »

So I've heard conflicting information on this: Can you remove pages from your binder during competition? Or do all the pages need to remain in the rings at all times?

Thanks
ScottMaurer19
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

dvegadvol wrote:So I've heard conflicting information on this: Can you remove pages from your binder during competition? Or do all the pages need to remain in the rings at all times?

Thanks
Rules say it can be removed
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1