Herpetology B/C

axolotl
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Herpetology B/C

Post by axolotl »

jsegal wrote:I tend to find the best information on Wikipedia there are more pros than cons for using this site in my opinion.
Yeah, wikipedia seems to be a good source of organized info instead of looking through lab research results and condensing textbooks.

Anyone know how to tell the difference between lacertidae and teiidae? Tips on aneides would be welcome as well.
MHS ‘20, Pitt '24
axolotl's User page
Raven
Division: C
Has thanked: 0

Post by Raven »

axolotl wrote:
jsegal wrote:I tend to find the best information on Wikipedia there are more pros than cons for using this site in my opinion.
Yeah, wikipedia seems to be a good source of organized info instead of looking through lab research results and condensing textbooks.

Anyone know how to tell the difference between lacertidae and teiidae? Tips on aneides would be welcome as well.
Ear holes: Cnemidophorus has more circular or D-shaped ear holes, while Lacertidae has oval shaped or slit-like ear holes
Snout: Cnemidophorus has a far pointier and narrow snout than Lacertidae
Coloration: all Lacertidae lizards in the US are alien, and they all have this weird blobby pattern with green or brown accents. So if you see that pattern you automatically now it's a wall lizard.

Edit: Aneides has really big head gland things, and climbing toes.
Birds, Fossils, WQ, Circuit Lab
ScottMaurer19
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Raven wrote:
axolotl wrote:

Ear holes: Cnemidophorus has more circular or D-shaped ear holes, while Lacertidae has oval shaped or slit-like ear holes
Coloration: all Lacertidae lizards in the US are alien, and they all have this weird blobby pattern with green or brown accents. So if you see that pattern you automatically now it's a wall lizard.

I also tend to think of Aneides of having a green "snowflake" pattern or the other variety which looks like a flesh colored salamander with giant eyes
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
axolotl
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by axolotl »

Raven wrote:
axolotl wrote:

What about blind snakes? Their only differences aren’t usually visible to the naked eye and they have many species with similar coloration.
MHS ‘20, Pitt '24
axolotl's User page
ScottMaurer19

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

They posted an FAQ regarding field guides in binders finally
2017 (r/s/n):

2018 (r/s/n):

2019 (r/s/n):

cbrant554
State: IN

Post by cbrant554 »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:They posted an FAQ regarding field guides in binders finally
They said that you aren't allowed to have an intact field guide, this basically means that if you just take a field guide and hole punch it it will be dq. They never said anything about photocopying though so would that be allowed?
ScottMaurer19

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

cbrant554 wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:They posted an FAQ regarding field guides in binders finally
They said that you aren't allowed to have an intact field guide, this basically means that if you just take a field guide and hole punch it it will be dq. They never said anything about photocopying though so would that be allowed?
I would assume that is allowed seeing as you can use "any source" and i'm not sure how they would be able to tell if it is the same sized paper
2017 (r/s/n):

2018 (r/s/n):

2019 (r/s/n):

cbrant554
State: IN

Post by cbrant554 »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
cbrant554 wrote:
I would assume that is allowed seeing as you can use "any source" and i'm not sure how they would be able to tell if it is the same sized paper
So I think what they are mostly trying to convey that if you hole punch they field guide itself its a dq.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Hey, y'all!

If you're done with your season, the [wiki]Herpetology/Identification List[/wiki] needs a lot of help. If you have notes and are willing to contribute a little bit of them, it would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to adjust the outline of the page however you need, and if you want to create pages for different subsets of the ID list (i.e. [wiki]Invasive Species List/Aquatic Animals[/wiki]), that's 100% fine as well. This is an easy way to get recognition for work, such as exalted medals!
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Froggie »

cbrant554 wrote:
What do they mean by "intact"?
Can I rip out pieces of field guide?
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie

Return to “2018 Study Events”