Herpetology B/C

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Herpetology B/C

Post by Unome »

kylg wrote:Ok, let me make this quick. Everyone who does this event if faced with 5 orders, with a total of 39 Families, with a variable amount of genera within each family like ~1-15. Each genera has a variable amount of species in it too ~1-10 let's say. So in total, were supposed to have at most 39 * 15 * 10 = 5850. I am pretty sure no printer in existence can print 5850 pages of densely packed cheatsheet. We are supposed to ID each one and supply the info for each? (anat&phys, reproduction, habitat, ecology, diet, behavior, biogeography, sounds, diet, conservation, and extra info they might test) My alligator snapping turtle entry alone has 2 pages of text, how am I going to do this for thousands of species?
I think you're overestimating the amount of info that there is on some species. So far, I've been able to successfully fit each listed taxon (down to genus) on one page - even going fully in-depth on every species, my binder probably wouldn't exceed 250 pages (at current rate, it'll end up at around 120).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA

Post by Froggie »

Unome wrote:
kylg wrote:Ok, let me make this quick. Everyone who does this event if faced with 5 orders, with a total of 39 Families, with a variable amount of genera within each family like ~1-15. Each genera has a variable amount of species in it too ~1-10 let's say. So in total, were supposed to have at most 39 * 15 * 10 = 5850. I am pretty sure no printer in existence can print 5850 pages of densely packed cheatsheet. We are supposed to ID each one and supply the info for each? (anat&phys, reproduction, habitat, ecology, diet, behavior, biogeography, sounds, diet, conservation, and extra info they might test) My alligator snapping turtle entry alone has 2 pages of text, how am I going to do this for thousands of species?
I think you're overestimating the amount of info that there is on some species. So far, I've been able to successfully fit each listed taxon (down to genus) on one page - even going fully in-depth on every species, my binder probably wouldn't exceed 250 pages (at current rate, it'll end up at around 120).
And you can make your text small and play around with the margins.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by dragonfruit35 »

Froggie wrote:
Unome wrote:
And you can make your text small and play around with the margins.
Also, I’d recommend you not do a page for every single species, at least at first- we’re just going down to genus (family for those that don’t list one) :) . Some of the genuses (genii?) had 10-15 species, so it would be very time-consuming to do a page for every single one.
tjhsst '20
virginia tech '24
2x codebusters national medalist

"it's not a pen, it's a principle!" - annie edison
MangoMonKey45
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by MangoMonKey45 »

Hi, does anyone know where to get the state lists for Herpetology? For New York and New Jersey? Thank you!
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Froggie »

MangoMonKey45 wrote:Hi, does anyone know where to get the state lists for Herpetology? For New York and New Jersey? Thank you!
Check your state websites. They should be on there, if the states decided to make a different list.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie
ScottMaurer19
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Already found one ID issue that concerns me.. If you search up the genus Hyla, then the pacific chorus frog images come up. The pacific chorus from was moved from Hyla to pseudacris is the late 1900s.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
Kyanite
State: WA

Post by Kyanite »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:Already found one ID issue that concerns me.. If you search up the genus Hyla, then the pacific chorus frog images come up. The pacific chorus from was moved from Hyla to pseudacris is the late 1900s.
Yea I have noticed that for a few sources, I have had to double check which family some genus's are in and such.
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Froggie »

So if there’s a picture of a milk snake, I write King snake?
- Froggie
ScottMaurer19
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Kyanite wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:Already found one ID issue that concerns me.. If you search up the genus Hyla, then the pacific chorus frog images come up. The pacific chorus from was moved from Hyla to pseudacris is the late 1900s.
Yea I have noticed that for a few sources, I have had to double check which family some genus's are in and such.
Hopefully event supervisors are paying as much attention as you.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
hgmsscienceolympiad

Post by hgmsscienceolympiad »

Fluorine wrote:
Person wrote:
Froggie wrote: It was allowed in invasives I think (I don't knkow about div c).
Also I'm excited to see that it is or is very close to the NY trial list.
Yeah, I do remember that invasives had it.
Sure was a thing ... made invasive a nightmare to do in Florida @windu34

I think the goal of the state-specific lists with Invasive Species was that the majority of teams will not make it to nationals, but having state specific lists *theoretically* helped teams begin to learn about the species invading their state. I can imagine some states, particularly ones with coastal waterways, would be a nightmare (Florida, y'all are my heroes with all you deal with).

Return to “2018 Study Events”