Herpetology B/C

ScottMaurer19
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 0

Re: Herpetology B/C

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

JionPark wrote:So, is it likely for Division B students to face sound questions for certain animals? Or is the sound activity only for Division C?
Likely some event supervisor will get creative and use sounds at some point in both divisions.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
Kyanite
State: WA
Been thanked: 0

Post by Kyanite »

JionPark wrote:Do students have to memorize the sounds of every animal for the list they're practicing for? Some of the tests that I looked at in the Science Olympiad Student wiki had sounds for some animals for students to identify.
My partner told me that frogs are the only animals on the national list that makes sounds.
If you can answer my question, then that'll be great. Thank you!
Focus on the frogs and they never specified it had to be frogs, so better look into the other groups to be safe. I know some of the lizards make noises too. For instance the Tokay Gecko could be used (it has a very memorable call).
ScottMaurer19
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Kyanite wrote:
JionPark wrote:Do students have to memorize the sounds of every animal for the list they're practicing for? Some of the tests that I looked at in the Science Olympiad Student wiki had sounds for some animals for students to identify.
My partner told me that frogs are the only animals on the national list that makes sounds.
If you can answer my question, then that'll be great. Thank you!
Focus on the frogs and they never specified it had to be frogs, so better look into the other groups to be safe. I know some of the lizards make noises too. For instance the Tokay Gecko could be used (it has a very memorable call).
They had crocodiles, alligators, rattlesnakes, and frogs at MIT I believe
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
pandascienceolympiad

Post by pandascienceolympiad »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:So how does this change reflect on being able to bring a hole-punched field guide inside a binder? The information in the binder may be in any form, and may be removed during competition, so naturally bringing a field guide inside a binder would be effectively the same as just bringing both, with the side effect of having a larger binder. I guess this is one for the rules clarification.
I'm pretty sure that you are allowed to put a field guide in a binder along with additional pages that you have made, but I would not recommend a field guide unless you have one for genuses because this event is not on species (mainly(they may ask about that on a test).
rc2000

Post by rc2000 »

I seem to remember there being a really hard practice test on the test exchange, but I can't seem to find it.

All I can recall is that the last page was matching terminology, words included things like "poikilothermy" and "torpor". Anyone know what happened to it?
Nick-Yay
Division: C
State: TX

Post by Nick-Yay »

rc2000 wrote:I seem to remember there being a really hard practice test on the test exchange, but I can't seem to find it.

All I can recall is that the last page was matching terminology, words included things like "poikilothermy" and "torpor". Anyone know what happened to it?
Is it this one?
https://scioly.org/wiki/images/3/3b/KMS_Herp_Test.pdf

Not sure where to find it. I just typed in scioly herpetology test torpor in google.
It looks like a nice test
Tompkins High School '20

2017 State:
Hydrogeology: 1

2018 State:
Herpetology: 1
Science Word: 7
Rocks and Minerals: 11
SciNerd42

Post by SciNerd42 »

Is it this one?

Not sure where to find it. I just typed in scioly herpetology test torpor in google.
Is there an answer key to this one floating around?
rc2000

Post by rc2000 »

Nick-Yay wrote:
rc2000 wrote:I seem to remember there being a really hard practice test on the test exchange, but I can't seem to find it.

Is it this one?

Yeah it was that one lol. Thanks dude
dvegadvol

Post by dvegadvol »

The answer key is here: https://scioly.org/wiki/images/4/40/KMS ... er_Key.pdf

I'd be very careful with the answers. In the first station there are two glaring errors; haven't had time to read the rest right now.

In the answer to Station 1 Question 1, they've misspelled "Elapidae" after stating on the test's cover page that "Spelling counts!"

In Station 1 question 5, they've written the answer as 1,938 species in Elapidae. That's the estimate of the number of species in Colubridae, where some of the species resemble Elapidae... There are approximately 325 species in Elapidae. :geek:

Be careful!
Almandine
Division: C
State: MN

Post by Almandine »

Anyone have a surefire way to identify genus Masticophis other than the tail resembling a whip? And/or genus actinemys?
Herpetology ONLY HERPETOLOGY

Return to “2018 Study Events”