Herpetology B/C

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Herpetology B/C

Postby Unome » June 1st, 2018, 12:46 pm

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MiWjkv ... sp=sharing

I found this snake in my backyard. I think it is a lined snake but I might be wrong. Anybody wanna double-check? Thanks
Looks like a garter snak IMO
After some searching on the internet seems to be Thamnophis marcianus or Thamnophis sirtalis
I concur (unless it's a weird rat snake or something like that, I'm never quite willing to rule that out).
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

retired1
State: FL

Postby retired1 » June 3rd, 2018, 7:41 pm

for a common garter snake that I have seen, this one has a wider girth in the middle for the apparent length. Also I have never seen one with the white dashed lines to the sides of the central line.

Things2do
Division: C
State: TN
Location: Unfortunately, not Utah somewhere near the Colorado border

Postby Things2do » June 13th, 2018, 5:52 pm

Looks like a garter snak IMO
After some searching on the internet seems to be Thamnophis marcianus or Thamnophis sirtalis
I concur (unless it's a weird rat snake or something like that, I'm never quite willing to rule that out).
According to this, it's a common garter snake. Scroll about halfway down.
This also says it's a garter snake.
John 5:46-47
When your signature exceeds the allotted 300 characters, you put it here...
Is this where I put the Builder Cult?
"I think that we're all mentally ill. Those of us outside the asylums only hide it a little better - and maybe not all that much better after all." - Stephen King

ScottMaurer19
State: OH

Postby ScottMaurer19 » June 13th, 2018, 7:09 pm

According to this, it's a common garter snake. Scroll about halfway down.
This also says it's a garter snake.
Glad I got something right this season :D
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80

MathLover628

Postby MathLover628 » June 17th, 2018, 6:32 pm

Okay. So I've started making a binder but I've run into a pretty big problem. Take for example, Trachemys (Sliders), which one do we write about? There are a bunch of different trachemys turtles and each of them are different. What did you guys do?

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » June 18th, 2018, 6:41 am

Okay. So I've started making a binder but I've run into a pretty big problem. Take for example, Trachemys (Sliders), which one do we write about? There are a bunch of different trachemys turtles and each of them are different. What did you guys do?
Write about all of them :)

kate!
State: NY

Postby kate! » July 23rd, 2018, 2:06 pm

I've started making my binder for next season (I'm new to the event) and I keep having to edit the templates I've created for each classification because the amount of information I'm finding for every section is varying a lot. For example, I've now combined Reproduction and Life Cycle because there's never enough information on the life cycles, and Ecology consists of impacts, habitat, diet, and behavior. Is this advisable? I don't have enough experience with bio ID to know...
Two years ago I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Last year I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, water, and more experiments, yay again!
Now I'm learning stuff about oceanography, fossils, and writing/following instructions, yay for the third time!

kate!
State: NY

Postby kate! » July 25th, 2018, 3:03 pm

Sorry for the double post, but I'm also confused about one other thing. When you put images for an order, class, or family, which species do you choose images of? Or do you just search, for example, alligators, alligator eggs, etc?
Two years ago I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Last year I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, water, and more experiments, yay again!
Now I'm learning stuff about oceanography, fossils, and writing/following instructions, yay for the third time!

MissAmargasaurus
State: ID

Postby MissAmargasaurus » July 30th, 2018, 9:07 am

Sorry for the double post, but I'm also confused about one other thing. When you put images for an order, class, or family, which species do you choose images of? Or do you just search, for example, alligators, alligator eggs, etc?
I usually try to pick from a variety of species! I make sure to label them like that too, such as "American alligator hatchling" vs "Chinese alligator hatchling". It's easier with groups that only have a few species, but I think having variety (If you have the space. Too many images can make things hard) helps a lot with cases like this! You don't need to have every species, but choosing ones that are the most common and/or are found in your state is helpful. For an example here's the image section of a couple of my sheets. I hope this helps!

2016-17 Season: Experimental Design, Invasive Species, Wind Power, Forenics
2017-2018 Season: Experimental Design, Ecology, Herpetology
2018-2019 Season: Experimental Design, Fossils, Herpetology, Wright Stuff
I love reptiles and fossils! <3

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Postby UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » August 4th, 2018, 2:51 pm

I've started making my binder for next season (I'm new to the event) and I keep having to edit the templates I've created for each classification because the amount of information I'm finding for every section is varying a lot. For example, I've now combined Reproduction and Life Cycle because there's never enough information on the life cycles, and Ecology consists of impacts, habitat, diet, and behavior. Is this advisable? I don't have enough experience with bio ID to know...
Check out the herpetology id list page on the wiki (WIP!)

Return to “2018 Study Events”