Meteorology B

MrTom
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by MrTom »

You guys, i am confused with one of the meteorology guidelines where it says the RRTM model. I had done this at an invitational and what is the unit for the models?
pbjay
Division: B
State: FL

Post by pbjay »

MrTom wrote:You guys, i am confused with one of the meteorology guidelines where it says the RRTM model. I had done this at an invitational and what is the unit for the models?
The RRTM model simulates the flow of electromagnetic radiation in and out of the Earth. The orange, red, and purple pairs of arrows on the right represent, respectively, the amount of shortwave radiation (incoming and reflected sunlight), longwave radiation (radiation given off by the ground and atmosphere), and total radiation averaged across the entire Earth's surface. The arrows are graphed as a function of altitude, with the size of the arrow at a given altitude representing the amount of energy being carried per second in that direction per unit area. The size of the arrows is determined by the characteristics of the sun, surface, and atmosphere, which you can manipulate in the control panel on the left. The overall balance of this energy at the top of the atmosphere indicates whether the Earth is gaining energy (and likely warming as a result) or losing energy (and likely cooling).
2018 Events: Meteorology (2nd Regionals, 10th States), Fast Facts, Wright Stuff
2019 Events: Dynamic Planet (1st Regionals), Meteorology (1st Regionals), Elastic Launched Glider (2nd Regionals), Disease Detectives (4th Regionals).
alchzh
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by alchzh »

pbjay wrote:
MrTom wrote:You guys, i am confused with one of the meteorology guidelines where it says the RRTM model. I had done this at an invitational and what is the unit for the models?
The RRTM model simulates the flow of electromagnetic radiation in and out of the Earth. The orange, red, and purple pairs of arrows on the right represent, respectively, the amount of shortwave radiation (incoming and reflected sunlight), longwave radiation (radiation given off by the ground and atmosphere), and total radiation averaged across the entire Earth's surface. The arrows are graphed as a function of altitude, with the size of the arrow at a given altitude representing the amount of energy being carried per second in that direction per unit area. The size of the arrows is determined by the characteristics of the sun, surface, and atmosphere, which you can manipulate in the control panel on the left. The overall balance of this energy at the top of the atmosphere indicates whether the Earth is gaining energy (and likely warming as a result) or losing energy (and likely cooling).
Please double check your information. The website has changed in the 5 years since that description was written! Now the shortwave and longwave radiation arrows are presented side by side in a merged graph and there is now a temperature graph on the right.

EDIT:
What specifically are you confused about @MrTom? The RRTM is a complicated model (I'm not going to pretend I understand what it does internally, consult the source code and this paper for information. The interactive site linked in the rules takes the following inputs:
  • Direct Sunlight (watts/meters^2): Irradiance. This is just the amount of radiant flux (power) received per square meter from the sun. Remember the unit for power (watts) is a joule/second.
  • Albedo: You can either select a preset here or set a custom albedo. Percentage of incoming radiation reflected by the surface. Goes from 0 to 1.
  • Surface Temp (Kelvin): Just the temperature of the air near the surface, nothing special.
  • Lapse rate (Kelvin/kilometer): The lapse rate of the environment. As you travel upward in the troposphere, the temperature decreases from the surface temperature by this rate. For example, at 3 km above the surface the temperature will be Surface Temp - 3*(Lapse rate)
  • Stratospheric height (km): One would think this to be where the stratosphere starts, though I think here this is actually where the troposphere ends (height of the tropopause). I might be completely wrong here. The air begins to stop decreasing/begin increasing here.
  • Carbon Dioxide and Methane concentration (ppm): Concentrations of greenhouse gases in parts per million.
  • Relative Humidity (%): Actual vapor pressure / Equilibrium vapor pressure of water or Actual vapor density / Saturation vapor density of water (these are equal). Goes from 0 to 100.
  • Low and High Cloud Fraction: Goes from 0 to 1. The visible fraction of the sky taken up by low/high clouds (i.e. fraction of cloudy pixels in an image).
  • Drop radius (μm): Weighted average radius of cloud droplets.
  • Aerosols: Selectable dropdown of aerosol presets.
Columbia University. Maybe starting an invitational. No promises.
alchzh's Userpage
SciolyGuy411

Post by SciolyGuy411 »

Anyone here take the Ohio B State Meteorology test? I didn't make it to states but heard it was hard. Looking forward tonext year.
Jding713

Post by Jding713 »

Would 2019's Meteorology be Everyday Weather?
eddpmett
Division: C
State: PA

Post by eddpmett »

Jding713 wrote:Would 2019's Meteorology be Everyday Weather?
yes, it will probably be everyday weather
idk what to put here so i'll just type something cringey random!
OkayScience
Division: B
State: NJ

Post by OkayScience »

Hi, I am relatively new to Scioly and am just wondering what everyone's study methods are. I want to be awesome and smart but am not sure where to start or what to know. All these subjects are so wide and I don't even know what will and will not be there next season.

Thanks!
Things2do
State: TN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Things2do »

OkayScience wrote:Hi, I am relatively new to Scioly and am just wondering what everyone's study methods are. I want to be awesome and smart but am not sure where to start or what to know. All these subjects are so wide and I don't even know what will and will not be there next season.

Thanks!
I would recommend reading college textbooks, reading the [wiki][/wiki], the forums, old rulebooks, et cetera as a starting point. As my former (as future!) coach says to all of the new members: (Sorry for not quite having it memorized...) "How would you go about eating a elephant? You wouldn't try to eat the whole thing on one sitting, you would break it up and eat it a little at a time."
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

OkayScience wrote:what will and will not be there next season.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11427

(if you want more detail on what a particular event is likely to be like for 2019, just ask in that thread and someone will respond)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

Things2do wrote:
OkayScience wrote:Hi, I am relatively new to Scioly and am just wondering what everyone's study methods are. I want to be awesome and smart but am not sure where to start or what to know. All these subjects are so wide and I don't even know what will and will not be there next season.

Thanks!
I would recommend reading college textbooks, reading the [wiki][/wiki], the forums, old rulebooks, et cetera as a starting point. As my former (as future!) coach says to all of the new members: (Sorry for not quite having it memorized...) "How would you go about eating a elephant? You wouldn't try to eat the whole thing on one sitting, you would break it up and eat it a little at a time."
Just popping in, but while the wiki and the forums are a good start, they ultimately aren't as good as textbooks or external websites. Personally, I've always relied on websites for convenience.

Return to “2018 Study Events”