Microbe Mission B/C

RyanMist
Division: C
State: NY

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby RyanMist » March 21st, 2018, 12:01 pm

Does anybody have any tests they could share with me? I already took a bunch and I can't find anymore. It would be great if you could. I aiming for first at NY states (got 1st at regionals, 4th at Cornell). Good luck to everybody at states!
Events: Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Roller Coaster, Dynamic Planet, Road Scholar

The48thYoshi
State: IL

Postby The48thYoshi » March 21st, 2018, 12:34 pm

Does anybody have any tests they could share with me? I already took a bunch and I can't find anymore. It would be great if you could. I aiming for first at NY states (got 1st at regionals, 4th at Cornell). Good luck to everybody at states!
Not exactly a test but I’d advise going through the question marathon. The microbe mission thread is one of the more active ones and there are lots of good questions that would not be found on many invitational tests.

Especially for Divison B, most of the invitational tests cover the exact same questions.
aeshs ‘22

RyanMist

Postby RyanMist » March 22nd, 2018, 3:17 pm

Can everybody take this test and post their scores? Want to see how well I do compared to others. Thanks

https://scioly.org/tests/files/microbem ... a_test.pdf
Events: Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Roller Coaster, Dynamic Planet, Road Scholar

fabishkf
State: WI

Postby fabishkf » March 25th, 2018, 7:54 am

(deleted bc I realized how bad it sounded)
Last edited by fabishkf on March 25th, 2018, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hamilton Middle School '17
Madison West High School '21
National tournaments: 2016 Stout, 2017 Wright State division B, 2018 CSU, 2019 Cornell division C
2019 SONT at Cornell: 2nd Geologic Mapping, 6th Fossils

BoostedSheki
State: -

Postby BoostedSheki » March 25th, 2018, 11:40 am

Thank you for that fantastically constructive criticism.

Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Postby Alex-RCHS » March 25th, 2018, 12:34 pm

btw it shows how easy that test is bc I'm trash
A Division B test is easy for a Division C student?

Shocking
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022

mynameisbob

diseases?

Postby mynameisbob » April 2nd, 2018, 1:36 pm

Deleted as I found the answer elsewhere. Thanks.
Last edited by mynameisbob on April 2nd, 2018, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RyanMist

Postby RyanMist » April 2nd, 2018, 1:42 pm

It seems like half of the tests have questions about specific diseases and identifying them. I would recommend knowing the obvious one like tetanus (on ny state test div. b 2017), cholera, malaria, lyme, polio, chicken pox, yellow fever, anthrax, peptic ulcer, and the prion diseases.
What did you get on the test?

Tailsfan101
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: ID
Location: Philippians 3:20a "For our citizenship is in heaven"

Re: diseases?

Postby Tailsfan101 » April 2nd, 2018, 1:47 pm

I took the North Regional Tournamant at the Univessity of FL test as a practice test. It was the B test.

There is a section (part 4) of the test called Microbial Diseases that ask quesions that don't seem like microbe mission questions but more like Disease Detective questions. For example, 'Identify the disease that is transmitted by a mosquito and is also called Breakbone fever' and 'Identify the disease in the picture on the right' (shows a picture of an arm with bumps/boils all over it) and 'which disease is caused by the same virus that causes chickenpox and results in painful blisters to the patient?' and 'Chlamydia is caused by which of the following?' (followed by choices)

I thought we only had to know which diseases are fungal/bacterial/viral, etc not specifics about each disease? Am I wrong about this? What more should I be studying?

Thanks
Bob
It is quite common to find descriptive questions about certain diseases. With experience from the variety of tests I've taken, I've since added specific microbes, symptoms, and treatment to my cheat sheet about the list of diseases, with other knowledge stored away in my memory. Having a wide knowledge about the diseases is essential for a high score on most tests, and can most certainly give you the extra edge.
2020 Treasure Valley Homeschool Wiki (Division C)
2020 events: DD, GLM, DG, PM
Mini-Inv./DISCO/State/Nats
RS: 1/2/1/-
DD: -/3/2/-
HD: 2/4/4/-
CB: 3/6/1/-
ELG: -/6/-/-
GLM: -/-/-/31
WIDI: -/-/-/24
PTQ: -/-/-/41
Assassinator for games #118 and 136

mynameisbob

Postby mynameisbob » April 2nd, 2018, 4:03 pm

Thank you Tailsfan101 and Ryanmist. I just saw your response I was deleting my question as I figured this out and just added the info to my notes. Thanks! Bob.

Return to “2018 Study Events”