Microbe Mission B/C

Alex-RCHS
Division: Grad
State: NC

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Type 7 of the Baltimore classification (dsDNA-RT) is really confusing to me. I can't understand it. What exactly does the reverse transcriptase work on, if it is a DNA virus?
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Post by whythelongface »

Alex-RCHS wrote:Type 7 of the Baltimore classification (dsDNA-RT) is really confusing to me. I can't understand it. What exactly does the reverse transcriptase work on, if it is a DNA virus?
You know, that's a really good point, and I've been wondering about it myself for some time. Maybe it doesn't directly integrate its DNA into the host genome, but transcribes an RNA copy first from one of the strands and is then reverse transcribed into DNA, which is integrated? That wouldn't make sense though, because that's like an extra step that achieves nothing...
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South/Grover for winning 2nd/1st place at NJ States!
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

whythelongface wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:Type 7 of the Baltimore classification (dsDNA-RT) is really confusing to me. I can't understand it. What exactly does the reverse transcriptase work on, if it is a DNA virus?
You know, that's a really good point, and I've been wondering about it myself for some time. Maybe it doesn't directly integrate its DNA into the host genome, but transcribes an RNA copy first from one of the strands and is then reverse transcribed into DNA, which is integrated? That wouldn't make sense though, because that's like an extra step that achieves nothing...
From my notes, that's exactly what it does.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
nerdfifi
Division: C
State: CO
Has thanked: 0

Post by nerdfifi »

What websites and sources do you recommend for studying Microbe Mission, especially microscopy and gram stain? :?:
Alex-RCHS

Post by Alex-RCHS »

nerdfifi wrote:What websites and sources do you recommend for studying Microbe Mission, especially microscopy and gram stain? :?:
I have used wikipedia almost exclusively for microbe mission tbh. That'll get some hate, but wikipedia entries are extremely extensive for most biology topics. For microscopy in particular, I recommend Microscopy U (run by Nikon). There are also some great textbooks out there that others will recommend in the following posts, I'm sure. (Merge will recommend a textbook in 3, 2, 1...)
About me!
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
nerdfifi
State: CO

Post by nerdfifi »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
nerdfifi wrote:What websites and sources do you recommend for studying Microbe Mission, especially microscopy and gram stain? :?:
I have used wikipedia almost exclusively for microbe mission tbh. That'll get some hate, but wikipedia entries are extremely extensive for most biology topics. For microscopy in particular, I recommend Microscopy U (run by Nikon). There are also some great textbooks out there that others will recommend in the following posts, I'm sure. (Merge will recommend a textbook in 3, 2, 1...)
Thank you!
themightyweeaboo

Post by themightyweeaboo »

How do you tell the difference between images taken with florescence microscopes and confocal microscopes? I keep getting confused on the practice tests I take...
Pettywap
State: PA

Post by Pettywap »

themightyweeaboo wrote:How do you tell the difference between images taken with florescence microscopes and confocal microscopes? I keep getting confused on the practice tests I take...
If you look up florescence vs. confocal, confocal is clearer and has a better contrast in color.
"Who's Fettywap?"
Alex-RCHS

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Pettywap wrote:
themightyweeaboo wrote:How do you tell the difference between images taken with florescence microscopes and confocal microscopes? I keep getting confused on the practice tests I take...
If you look up florescence vs. confocal, confocal is clearer and has a better contrast in color.
Also, confocal (CLSM) microscopes can create a 3D image but standard fluorescent microscopes can’t.
About me!
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
themightyweeaboo

Post by themightyweeaboo »

Thank you so much!

Return to “2018 Study Events”