Microbe Mission B/C

mkim1472
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by mkim1472 »

Are there practice test to what microbes and herpetology??????????
Alex-RCHS
Division: Grad
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

mkim1472 wrote:Are there practice test to what microbes and herpetology??????????
I don’t know what question you’re asking, but this probably answers it: https://scioly.org/tests/
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
mkim1472 wrote:Are there practice test to what microbes and herpetology??????????
I don’t know what question you’re asking, but this probably answers it: https://scioly.org/tests/
Plus: https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/2018_ ... be_Mission and https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/2018_ ... erpetology
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
BoostedSheki

Post by BoostedSheki »

This might be a little early but does anyone have any predictions for this year's national MM top 6?
Here are mine:
1. Troy
2. West-Windsor
3. Boca Raton
4. Camas
5. Stevenson
6. LASA

Anyone have any other ideas?
izzanom
Division: C

Post by izzanom »

Hey guys can anyone explain what it means when the rules say ¨measuring bacterial growth¨. Additionally, whats a way to tell how many cells would be present after x amount of time.
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by NeilMehta »

izzanom wrote:Hey guys can anyone explain what it means when the rules say ¨measuring bacterial growth¨. Additionally, whats a way to tell how many cells would be present after x amount of time.
Generally, the question will tell you three of the four pieces of information:
  • How much time it takes for the bacteria to double (doubling time, should use same units as time elapsed)
    The amount of bacteria originally
    The time elapsed
    The number of bacteria after the time has elapsed
You can then use the equation

where:
A=the final number of bacteria
P=the original number of bacteria
t=time elapsed
d=doubling time
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
Alex-RCHS

Post by Alex-RCHS »

izzanom wrote:Hey guys can anyone explain what it means when the rules say ¨measuring bacterial growth¨.
Direct counting: Hemocytometer, counting chamber, plate counts
Indirect counting: Turbidity/Optical Density/Beer's Law, dry weight

If you look up those terms you'll probably learn most of what you need to know about measuring bacterial growth. Also, know the difference between viable and nonviable cells.
izzanom wrote:Additionally, whats a way to tell how many cells would be present after x amount of time.
The most common way to describe this is the doubling time of the population. For example, if it doubles every 10 hours and starts at 2 million, then:
- after 10 hours it will have doubled once -> 2 million times 2 = 4 million
- after 20 hours it will have doubled twice -> 2 million times 2 times 2 = 8 million
- after 30 hours it will have double twice -> 2 million times 2 times 2 times 2 = 16 million

etc. You can replace the "times 2" with 2^1, the "times 2 times 2" with 2^2, the "times 2 times 2 times 2" with 2^3, and so on, and get:
population = 2 million times 2^D where D is the number of times it doubled. Since it doubles once every 10 hours, then D=t/10 where t is the number of hours since the start.
So: P(t) = 2 million times 2^(t/10)

If you want to generalize this function, you can just replace "2 million" with "whatever you started with," which I'll call S. And you can replace 10 with the doubling time d (the time required for the population to double).

So the population as a function of time is , where P is the population (in number of cells), t is the time (in hours in this case, but it can be any unit of time as long as all your units stay consistent), S is your starting population (this is often given the variable P-naught or P-initial, which look like P with a tiny o next to it or P with a tiny i next to it, respectively; but you can use whatever variable you want), and d is the doubling time.

Sometimes they give you a few data points and ask you to find out the population at a certain future time. The best thing to do is find the doubling time based on the points given and then go from there.

All of these calculations assume that the cells have infinite resources and room to grow; otherwise their growth would slow as resources/nutrients are depleted (think the microbial growth curve).
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
quantumk19

Post by quantumk19 »

Does anyone have any strong resources on spores and cysts with thorough, relevant information?
gryphaea1635
State: KS

Post by gryphaea1635 »

I remember last year at states they asked about different phyla of bacteria and clades of protists., which really screwed me up. Especially for bacteria, what are some notable groups to know? (Especially since wikipedia just has a huge list and I can't tell which ones are important and which aren't :/) Thanks!!
ESKKEEEETTTIIITT
Kylari04
State: HI

Post by Kylari04 »

I would think that the proteobacteria are a pretty important phylum to know, especially since the mitochondria is believed to originally be part of this phylum. Other phylums I've heard of are the firmicutes and the actinobacteria.
Ad Astra Per Aspera!
Division C:'Iolani School
2021 Events: Astronomy, Designer Genes, Disease Detectives, Protein Modeling + some others
User Page: https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Kylari04

Return to “2018 Study Events”