Microbe Mission B/C

Koolman
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by Koolman »

Is there an easy way to identify spirochetes as compared to spirilla?
RyanMist
Division: C
State: NY

Post by RyanMist »

Spirilla have less twists that are more apart while spirochetes have more twists closer together... like a corkscrew.
Events: Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Roller Coaster, Dynamic Planet, Road Scholar
jimmy-bond
Division: Grad
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by jimmy-bond »

Koolman wrote:Is there an easy way to identify spirochetes as compared to spirilla?
Adding on to what RyanMist said, spirochetes usually appear longer than spirilla. Also, spirochetes have axial filaments as opposed to spirilla, which have polar flagella.
PCHS, HI '21 | CWRU, OH '25
Code(16), DD(40), FQ(39),4&6(36), WQ(27)
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)
RyanMist

Post by RyanMist »

What is the best way to differentiate from confocal and fluorescent microscopes?
Events: Microbe Mission, Disease Detectives, Roller Coaster, Dynamic Planet, Road Scholar
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

RyanMist wrote:What is the best way to differentiate from confocal and fluorescent microscopes?
Confocal is a specific type of fluorescent microscope. It uses pinholes to ensure that it only receives light from a very small point on the imaged object at a time. That light signal is interpreted by a computer as data, and the microscope scans the entire object, one point at a time, recording the intensity of the light at that point. It then pieces together all of that data into a 3D image of the object.

The other main type of fluorescent microscopy is wide-field fluorescent microscopy, where an object stained to fluoresce is imaged in full.

Similarities: Each one uses fluorophores -- molecules that fluoresce, or release light immediately after being hit by a photon -- to image the sample. In both cases the images usually appear as bright colors on a dark background.

Differences: Confocal microscopy generates a 3D image, whereas wide-field fluorescent microscopy generates a 2D image. Confocal microscopy often has a higher resolution as well. Confocal microscopy uses a computer to assemble the images, but with wide-field fluorescent microscopy you can look directly through the objectives at the image (usually).
Last edited by Alex-RCHS on April 10th, 2018, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
RyanMist

Post by RyanMist »

Thanks. Need to add that to cheat sheet 8-)
fabishkf
State: WI

Post by fabishkf »

On the Wisconsin state exam, there was a calculation problem where you had to calculate the concentration of bacteria in the original flask given the serial dilutions done to it and how many bacteria there were on certain plates (after some dilutions were plated). I had read before that to calculate this you multiply the dilution factor by the number of bacteria on that plate (if between 30 and 300). However, the test gave two plates with values between 30 and 300 (one with 31 and one with 208 or something like that). In the future, which plate should I use? I am wondering this because when multiplied out they gave different concentrations. I might have done it wrong also, and if so can you correct my reasoning? Thanks.
madison west '21 hamilton '17
top 5 favorite events: rocks and minerals, fossils, geomapping, microbe mission, herpetology
RyanMist

Post by RyanMist »

fabishkf wrote:On the Wisconsin state exam, there was a calculation problem where you had to calculate the concentration of bacteria in the original flask given the serial dilutions done to it and how many bacteria there were on certain plates (after some dilutions were plated). I had read before that to calculate this you multiply the dilution factor by the number of bacteria on that plate (if between 30 and 300). However, the test gave two plates with values between 30 and 300 (one with 31 and one with 208 or something like that). In the future, which plate should I use? I am wondering this because when multiplied out they gave different concentrations. I might have done it wrong also, and if so can you correct my reasoning? Thanks.
From what I understand you should use the one with 208. It is more in the middle of 30 and 300. But I think either one would be fine.
Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

The rules speaks of special Nationals topics:
Microbe Mission Rules Manual wrote:...xii. Causes and effects of microbial population explosions
xiii. Microbial competition and communication
xiv. Microbiomes
xv. Biofilms
Does anyone have any knowledge about these topics, or websites I could look to for information?
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by whythelongface »

Tailsfan101 wrote:The rules speaks of special Nationals topics:
Microbe Mission Rules Manual wrote:...xii. Causes and effects of microbial population explosions
xiii. Microbial competition and communication
xiv. Microbiomes
xv. Biofilms
Does anyone have any knowledge about these topics, or websites I could look to for information?
Wikipedia? :Thinking:

Literally just Google "biofilm", "Microbiome", and "quorum sensing".
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South/Grover for winning 2nd/1st place at NJ States!

Return to “2018 Study Events”