Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Crashbug
Division: Grad
State: MA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by Crashbug »

DrakonidOperative wrote:Today was our first regional meet (which contained A + P), and there were some interesting results. As one of the leaders for our team, I was in charge or managing the anatomy and phys team and help them prepare for the meet through practice questions and exposure to resources. When it was time for the meet, the questions we got were on the three systems last year: nervous system, endocrine system, and sensory organs! I naturally assumed that the anatomy and physiology systems rotated out every year starting from the 2015-2016 year on a four year cycle, so there was no reason to believe that we would be tested on these three systems because they were last years' systems. Me and my team have been preparing the respiratory, digestive, and immune systems for four weeks leading up to the regional meet and it was quite frustrating that a lot of work was put to waste in the time being (though it will be helpful for state preparation probably).

What ended up happening was that the regional coordinators posted last year's event description and thus the questions were focused on last year's event descriptions. I never knew that the regional event descriptions overruled the national rule and it was a hard way to learn about this rule today. Now leading up to the state meet, I do not know what to expect for Anatomy and Physiology. Will we be tested on last year's systems or this year's systems?

Overall, I will take the blame for not checking these event descriptions and for assuming that the meet will be testing the three current systems, but I believe there should be some sort of standardization throughout the state (I'm in MA).

Also my buddies in Astronomy was not permitted to have access to internet-less laptops despite the rules/event description (posted by the regional coordinators) stating that it was allowed to bring two laptops as long as they are not connected to the internet. They were forced to take the test without any resources (binders/laptops) because that spent their time in preparation for the meet organizing resources on their laptops, not expecting that they were only permitted binders.
I also went to the WSSL meet yesterday, and got pretty annoyed at the anatomy test too. WSSL seems to do this thing where they either put events that aren't part of the year's official events on the meet schedule or use the topics from the wrong year, although they didn't use 2015-16's topics last year, so it's strange that they did it this year. I think standardization for WSSL will be difficult because each school makes their own tests, so everything is at the discretion of the school, but the state meet will still be up to date with the national topics. Hopefully WSSL changes this in the future.
It's strange you didn't know about the changes in the topics and the astro no-laptop policy. Our coach got an email from the WSSL director with the topics and no-laptop rule and told us about it-maybe you should ask your coach about this before future meets or something.
WhatScience?
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by WhatScience? »

Hey Guys,

So, I have just finished 45 pages worth of notes on the Respiratory System. These notes come with multiple images and diagrams to aid in studying. It has been typed up in Times New Roman size 12 font and comes to 13,333 words. The notes are all accurate and come from reliable sources. I have indented some bullets multiple times in correlation to each other and have highlighted important words/phrases in long sections. These notes cover the parameters to a degree that should be more than enough for any competition.

I am interested in trading these notes with someone for a full set of Digestive System notes completed with a similar degree of effort. This exchange will be beneficial to whomever takes me up on it. I do ask that the person who decides to take me up puts in a similar level of effort and that my work is not taken advantage of.

I also wish that this person is not in NJ.

Good Luck in your respective competitions and best wishes towards your team!

Thank you,
WhatScience?
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by antoine_ego »

Crashbug wrote: I also went to the WSSL meet yesterday, and got pretty annoyed at the anatomy test too. WSSL seems to do this thing where they either put events that aren't part of the year's official events on the meet schedule or use the topics from the wrong year, although they didn't use 2015-16's topics last year, so it's strange that they did it this year. I think standardization for WSSL will be difficult because each school makes their own tests, so everything is at the discretion of the school, but the state meet will still be up to date with the national topics. Hopefully WSSL changes this in the future.
It's strange you didn't know about the changes in the topics and the astro no-laptop policy. Our coach got an email from the WSSL director with the topics and no-laptop rule and told us about it-maybe you should ask your coach about this before future meets or something.
I'd also like to chime in on this. While the Anat Phys test was different than normal (I've never heard of a powerpoint for Anatomy and Physiology, but it saves paper!), and also based off last year's rules, keep in mind that this is the first year that all teams have access to the new rules so early in the season. I'd venture to guess that sometimes coaches didn't get the rules till early October in MA, since that is usually the date of the coaches meeting, and this whole thing is just a remnant of that delay in timing. Furthermore, it wasn't just A&P that had this discrepancy within the rules, Astronomy was run off 2014 rules. I'm guessing the no-laptop policy was a result of the ES not having the resources to keep going around and checking to make sure people weren't online.

Also, WSSL is more of a casual thing to be perfectly honest, I mean, there's ramen, and all teams are in a cafeteria chattering away and so on. I agree that standardization of WSSL would be very difficult to do, but that lack of it shouldn't detract from the very fun experience. I'm also pretty sure that events from October on will be run according to State and National rules.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
kenniky

Post by kenniky »

WSSL has historically been clompletely separate from the state competition. States should adhere to the current rules more
Automated Event Assigner!
UMich 2018: Chem Lab, Fermi

[url=http://tinyurl.com/kenniky-so-test]Rate my tests![/url]
[url]https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Kenniky[/url]

[url=https://scioly.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10008&start=34]2017 Nats = rip[/url]
[url=https://youtu.be/MCo8IAovjfw]ABRHS 2016[/url]
WhatScience?

Post by WhatScience? »

WhatScience? wrote:Hey Guys,

So, I have just finished 45 pages worth of notes on the Respiratory System. These notes come with multiple images and diagrams to aid in studying. It has been typed up in Times New Roman size 12 font and comes to 13,333 words. The notes are all accurate and come from reliable sources. I have indented some bullets multiple times in correlation to each other and have highlighted important words/phrases in long sections. These notes cover the parameters to a degree that should be more than enough for any competition.

I am interested in trading these notes with someone for a full set of Digestive System notes completed with a similar degree of effort. This exchange will be beneficial to whomever takes me up on it. I do ask that the person who decides to take me up puts in a similar level of effort and that my work is not taken advantage of.

Thank you,
WhatScience?
Is nobody interested?
shrewdPanther46

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

WhatScience? wrote:

Thank you,
WhatScience?
Is nobody interested?
why not just take notes again yourself? It didnt seem to take that long lol...
WhatScience?

Post by WhatScience? »

shrewdPanther46 wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:

Thank you,
WhatScience?
Is nobody interested?
why not just take notes again yourself? It didnt seem to take that long lol...
I am taking my own notes as well, However, if different people use different sources, it could be beneficial.
RainbowMammoths

Post by RainbowMammoths »

What do the rules mean by a computation dedicated calculator. Would a TI 83 or TI84 work within these constraints? Thanks in advance!
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

RainbowMammoths wrote:What do the rules mean by a computation dedicated calculator. Would a TI 83 or TI84 work within these constraints? Thanks in advance!
Those should both work. It seems to just mean something that's intended primarily for calculation purposes. Anything that would fall under a typical definition of "calculator" is probably "dedicated". (as always, disclaimer)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Pettywap
State: PA

Post by Pettywap »

How can I study? :(
"Who's Fettywap?"

Return to “2018 Study Events”