State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by bernard »

[wiki]Anatomy & Physiology[/wiki]
Anatomy & Physiology Test Exchange 2018
Past Threads: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
Past Question Marathons: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
DrakonidOperative
Division: C
State: MA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by DrakonidOperative »

Would we have to know carbohydrates, proteins, lipids, etc. in depth for the digestive system in A + P. The event overview on Soinc says physiology of chemical digestion but not about the molecule properties itself, i.e. shape, functional groups (more towards organic chem).

Thanks for all that reply.
Jesusfather123

Post by Jesusfather123 »

Hi, can anyone please guide how to study for Anotomy and physiology? Materials / good resources ? Thanks
buddy101

Post by buddy101 »

DrakonidOperative wrote:Would we have to know carbohydrates, proteins, lipids, etc. in depth for the digestive system in A + P. The event overview on Soinc says physiology of chemical digestion but not about the molecule properties itself, i.e. shape, functional groups (more towards organic chem).

Thanks for all that reply.
From my experience from A/P in Science Olympiad, I can say that you should probably know at least the basics. Knowing the basics of macro molecules would keep you on the safe side. However, I wouldn't spend a lot of time studying that.
buddy101

Post by buddy101 »

Jesusfather123 wrote:Hi, can anyone please guide how to study for Anotomy and physiology? Materials / good resources ? Thanks
I use Khan Academy to understand the basics of systems. Then I use a textbook(no particular one) and get more info. Then fill in the gaps by looking up specific questions from the vast internet. The internet will be your best friend ultimately.
DrakonidOperative
State: MA

Post by DrakonidOperative »

Thank you buddy101 for the reply.

I have one more (and hopefully last question to ask). I've been working through the digestive system anatomy on the sci oly wiki page, and each accesory organ/organs in the ailementary canals are pretty in depth. However, the overview sheet says we just needs have to know "Basic anatomy of the component parts of the ailementary canal and accesory organs of digestion" and "anatomy and functions of the digestive system". Based on these two points, what constitutes "basic anatomy" or in a different wording, how in depth do I have to know each digestive organ?

https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Anato ... scriptions

^In the above link/section (the sci oly wiki page for Digestive system), I don't know how to differentiate between which materials are national level and which are regular leveled.

Thanks
WhatScience?
State: NJ

Post by WhatScience? »

DrakonidOperative wrote:Thank you buddy101 for the reply.

I have one more (and hopefully last question to ask). I've been working through the digestive system anatomy on the sci oly wiki page, and each accesory organ/organs in the ailementary canals are pretty in depth. However, the overview sheet says we just needs have to know "Basic anatomy of the component parts of the ailementary canal and accesory organs of digestion" and "anatomy and functions of the digestive system". Based on these two points, what constitutes "basic anatomy" or in a different wording, how in depth do I have to know each digestive organ?

https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Anato ... scriptions

^In the above link/section (the sci oly wiki page for Digestive system), I don't know how to differentiate between which materials are national level and which are regular leveled.

Thanks
From my rather limited experience with this event, I would say that the more you know the better. The first thing you need to do is get a solid overview on everything. Then just spend your time on the internet going deeper and deeper.

BTW, you don't need to be so formal, lol. :lol:
BasuSiddha23
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by BasuSiddha23 »

This is my first time doing Anatomy and Physiology or any testing event that allows a very small amount of notes sheets. When the rules say general principles on he anatomy of the respiratory system, does that really only include the parts of the respiratory system, or how it works completely, or what happens on a molecular level, or is it all of that combined? Does patterns of breathing refer to certain circumstances?
Eagle View MS (2017-2019)
Cumberland Valley HS (2019-present)
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by NeilMehta »

BasuSiddha23 wrote:This is my first time doing Anatomy and Physiology or any testing event that allows a very small amount of notes sheets. When the rules say general principles on he anatomy of the respiratory system, does that really only include the parts of the respiratory system, or how it works completely, or what happens on a molecular level, or is it all of that combined? Does patterns of breathing refer to certain circumstances?
Pretty much all of them -
Parts of the respiratory system: lungs, larynx, their functions, etc
How it works: the purpose of the system, how it interacts with other systems
Tiny tiny tiny things - oxygen in the alveoli, gas exchange
It is also important to know the relationship between macroscopic and microscopic parts of the system and not think about the different scales as completely different processes.

In terms of breathing patterns, I think that they would test more on breathing pattern abnormalities (apnea, eupnea, etc) although I'm not 100% sure on this one
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
BasuSiddha23
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by BasuSiddha23 »

OK, thanks. Just a place to get started now, I guess.
Eagle View MS (2017-2019)
Cumberland Valley HS (2019-present)

Return to “2018 Study Events”