Anatomy & Physiology B/C

User avatar
Nerd_Bunny
Member
Member
Posts: 137
Joined: January 12th, 2017, 9:36 am
Division: C
State: ID
Location: 221B Baker Street

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Postby Nerd_Bunny » January 13th, 2018, 1:50 pm

What size font do you use to write your information sheets? I'm using size 5 right now, and I'm curious if anyone else can see smaller than that.
Events: Chemistry Lab, A&P, Disease Detectives
2017 Placings
States/Nationals
RFTS: 1/37
DD: 1/16
A&P:1/31
Ecology: -/59 haha I bet you can guess what happened here...

2018 Placings
NEBO/States/Nationals
A&P: 1/1/
Chem Lab: 5/1/
DD: 1/1/

If you're curious...yes, I like rabbits.

Pettywap
Member
Member
Posts: 104
Joined: November 4th, 2017, 11:15 am
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Postby Pettywap » January 13th, 2018, 2:22 pm

Nerd_Bunny wrote:What size font do you use to write your information sheets? I'm using size 5 right now, and I'm curious if anyone else can see smaller than that.

Size three is legible but that depend on your eyes. 3.5 is a thing too.
"Who's Fettywap?"

User avatar
pikachu4919
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 640
Joined: December 7th, 2012, 2:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN
Location: West [Favorite Fightin' Frenchman!]

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Postby pikachu4919 » January 13th, 2018, 2:31 pm

Pettywap wrote:
Nerd_Bunny wrote:What size font do you use to write your information sheets? I'm using size 5 right now, and I'm curious if anyone else can see smaller than that.

Size three is legible but that depend on your eyes. 3.5 is a thing too.


For my own cheat sheets, no matter which event I was doing, I don't think I ever went below 6, maybe 5 (I don't really remember). It can get hard to read at that point, and you'd honestly be better off trying to finish other parts of the test instead of spending time on straining your eyes to read your cheat sheet. I'll pose one question for you too, tho, really: if there's stuff you know by heart, what point is there at all to have it take up space on your cheat sheet? You can take such stuff off your sheet to free up space for other things you may not be as familiar with.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics


Not throwin' away my shot!
MY CABBAGES!

pikachu4919's Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Rate my tests!

Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 570
Joined: February 17th, 2017, 10:46 am
Division: C
State: PA
Location: Somewhere in the known or unknown universe

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Postby Anomaly » January 13th, 2018, 2:54 pm

pikachu4919 wrote:
Pettywap wrote:
Nerd_Bunny wrote:What size font do you use to write your information sheets? I'm using size 5 right now, and I'm curious if anyone else can see smaller than that.

Size three is legible but that depend on your eyes. 3.5 is a thing too.


For my own cheat sheets, no matter which event I was doing, I don't think I ever went below 6, maybe 5 (I don't really remember). It can get hard to read at that point, and you'd honestly be better off trying to finish other parts of the test instead of spending time on straining your eyes to read your cheat sheet. I'll pose one question for you too, tho, really: if there's stuff you know by heart, what point is there at all to have it take up space on your cheat sheet? You can take such stuff off your sheet to free up space for other things you may not be as familiar with.

Good pout brought up pikachu4919. And I usually don’t go past 5 on cheat sheets, because I don’t want to spend the whole test looking for some information on there. I guess it all depends how well you can read it. I’m pretty sure there’s a girl on my team that can’t read anything smaller than 10
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 5
Events:
Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Disease Detectives, Write It Do It

Pettywap
Member
Member
Posts: 104
Joined: November 4th, 2017, 11:15 am
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Postby Pettywap » January 13th, 2018, 3:17 pm

I know where everything is because I wrote it so it doesn't take that long and I add columns too. I also have headers in bold with i.e. Diseases
"Who's Fettywap?"

User avatar
pikachu4919
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 640
Joined: December 7th, 2012, 2:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN
Location: West [Favorite Fightin' Frenchman!]

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Postby pikachu4919 » January 13th, 2018, 3:37 pm

Oh, another thing. I always liked making my notes in Microsoft PowerPoint since it was tons easier to move text and pictures around than on Microsoft Word, plus there are no margins :P (Sometimes I used Adobe InDesign to make my notes, actually, but that software is expensive af, and I'm just spoiled from my experience as a designer for my high school newspaper)
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BiolE '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics


Not throwin' away my shot!
MY CABBAGES!

pikachu4919's Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Rate my tests!

Pettywap
Member
Member
Posts: 104
Joined: November 4th, 2017, 11:15 am
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Postby Pettywap » January 13th, 2018, 3:49 pm

pikachu4919 wrote:Oh, another thing. I always liked making my notes in Microsoft PowerPoint since it was tons easier to move text and pictures around than on Microsoft Word, plus there are no margins :P (Sometimes I used Adobe InDesign to make my notes, actually, but that software is expensive af, and I'm just spoiled from my experience as a designer for my high school newspaper)

You can move pictures by doing the text overlap. Also some printers can only go so small margin wise.
"Who's Fettywap?"

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4029
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Location: somewhere in the sciolyverse

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Postby Unome » January 13th, 2018, 4:12 pm

pikachu4919 wrote:Oh, another thing. I always liked making my notes in Microsoft PowerPoint since it was tons easier to move text and pictures around than on Microsoft Word, plus there are no margins :P

<3 PowerPoint
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

User avatar
Nerd_Bunny
Member
Member
Posts: 137
Joined: January 12th, 2017, 9:36 am
Division: C
State: ID
Location: 221B Baker Street

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Postby Nerd_Bunny » January 16th, 2018, 2:56 pm

Um, I think this has probably been asked before, but in the digestive section of the rules when it says "diseases on each level from the cell to the whole person" how do you study that? Do you study how it affects the cell, then the next level up, (tissues and such) and so on? Or do you just study the basics like cause, symptoms, treatment, etc? Some of these diseases look very broad so I don't think you could do that for all of them. (Especially diarrhea. Isn't that a symptom...?)
Events: Chemistry Lab, A&P, Disease Detectives
2017 Placings
States/Nationals
RFTS: 1/37
DD: 1/16
A&P:1/31
Ecology: -/59 haha I bet you can guess what happened here...

2018 Placings
NEBO/States/Nationals
A&P: 1/1/
Chem Lab: 5/1/
DD: 1/1/

If you're curious...yes, I like rabbits.

User avatar
Nano1llus10n
Member
Member
Posts: 114
Joined: May 26th, 2017, 4:10 pm
Division: C
State: TX

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Postby Nano1llus10n » January 21st, 2018, 6:36 pm

Nerd_Bunny wrote:Um, I think this has probably been asked before, but in the digestive section of the rules when it says "diseases on each level from the cell to the whole person" how do you study that? Do you study how it affects the cell, then the next level up, (tissues and such) and so on? Or do you just study the basics like cause, symptoms, treatment, etc? Some of these diseases look very broad so I don't think you could do that for all of them. (Especially diarrhea. Isn't that a symptom...?)


Just do all that you have mentioned. Some specifications may not be applicable but there are certainly complications involved with your example of diarrhea: e.g. dehydration.
2017-2018 (Div C)
Event: MIT/R/S/N
Anatomy and Physiology: 8/3/2/26
Helicopters: 11/-/2/43
Microbe Mission: 13/2/2/8

2018-2019 (Div C)
Event: R/S/N
Anatomy and Physiology: 1/2/8
Designer Genes: 1/2/4
Protein Modeling: 1/3/2
Wright Stuff: 2/2/9


Seven Lakes High School '21

EightBitKiwi
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: February 3rd, 2018, 12:11 pm
Division: B
State: CA

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Postby EightBitKiwi » February 3rd, 2018, 12:17 pm

It's one month away from regionals, and I know at least one invitational that has taken place (though our school did not participate in it). There are still no anatomy tests in the 2018 test exchange. Can someone please explain why this is happening, and post an anatomy test onto the exchange/here? Thanks

Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 570
Joined: February 17th, 2017, 10:46 am
Division: C
State: PA
Location: Somewhere in the known or unknown universe

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Postby Anomaly » February 3rd, 2018, 12:35 pm

EightBitKiwi wrote:It's one month away from regionals, and I know at least one invitational that has taken place (though our school did not participate in it). There are still no anatomy tests in the 2018 test exchange. Can someone please explain why this is happening, and post an anatomy test onto the exchange/here? Thanks

There was one on the exchange about two months ago, but I have no idea where it went. I think it disappeared when there were people messing with the test exchange.
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 5
Events:
Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Disease Detectives, Write It Do It

rafaelnadal
Member
Member
Posts: 67
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 9:55 am
Division: C
State: TX
Location: Studying to win this bet i made *facepalm*

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Postby rafaelnadal » February 4th, 2018, 1:57 pm

how do y'all take notes? i'm debating on whether i should handwrite or type while reading my textbook
CyFalls HS '19

2017 State: 2nd place We've Got Your Number

2018: 7L/Clements/Rice/Districts/Reg/States

Anatomy & Physiology:: 10/-/15/2/1/-
Experimental Design: 6/2/10/-/-
Microbe Mission: 12/5/8/4/2/-
Mousetrap Vehicle 17/6/9/5/2/-
We've Got Your Number: -/2/-/1/1/-

User avatar
Nerd_Bunny
Member
Member
Posts: 137
Joined: January 12th, 2017, 9:36 am
Division: C
State: ID
Location: 221B Baker Street

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Postby Nerd_Bunny » February 4th, 2018, 2:16 pm

rafaelnadal wrote:how do y'all take notes? i'm debating on whether i should handwrite or type while reading my textbook

I just start making my information sheet as soon as I start. All info I find goes on there. Then when I find it non relevant, not useful, or I've memorized it, I take it off.
Events: Chemistry Lab, A&P, Disease Detectives
2017 Placings
States/Nationals
RFTS: 1/37
DD: 1/16
A&P:1/31
Ecology: -/59 haha I bet you can guess what happened here...

2018 Placings
NEBO/States/Nationals
A&P: 1/1/
Chem Lab: 5/1/
DD: 1/1/

If you're curious...yes, I like rabbits.

User avatar
Alex-RCHS
Member
Member
Posts: 530
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:46 pm
Division: C
State: NC
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Postby Alex-RCHS » February 5th, 2018, 6:27 pm

Quick question: Why is this event considered (by some) to be off limits for freshman? (I'm not saying I agree, but that's just what I've heard)

EightBitKiwi wrote:It's one month away from regionals, and I know at least one invitational that has taken place (though our school did not participate in it). There are still no anatomy tests in the 2018 test exchange. Can someone please explain why this is happening, and post an anatomy test onto the exchange/here? Thanks

UT Austin releases tests.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022


Return to “2018 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests