Remote Sensing C

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Re: Remote Sensing C

Post by windu34 »

bobaenthusiast wrote:I'm considering picking up this event, but everything seems pretty overwhelming so far - so many acronyms!! It would be SUPER helpful if someone could suggest somewhere to start from, or what kind of background information is helpful to have :)))

(for context, i'm a freshman - so no science courses yet - on a R E A L L Y competitive team with experience only in inquiry events and ecology LOL)
Dont worry too much about not understanding the event. It is extremely intricate and the vast majority of competitors who have competed in it dont truly understand it at all. My partner and I didnt really understand the event properly until about February yet we still placed at various competitions. When you finally do understand it though, its pretty great
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
skiski
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by skiski »

I am new to Remote Sensing for Division C, and I have a question regarding the rules.
For section ii, AKA "Interpretation of remote sensing images and data sets from the following satellites: (insert a bunch of satellite titles)", I have taken extensive notes for each satellite, but that's basically it. Do I need to put extremely detailed information for each satellite or is just the basic info good enough? The information I've already taken goes pretty in depth, like it's altitude or the amount of spectral bands for some of them. Of course, I have their functions and stuff as well. Or am I taking a completely wrong approach? I honestly can't tell anymore LOL
Thanks in advance! :)
Private Wang Fire
State: OH

Post by Private Wang Fire »

skiski wrote:I am new to Remote Sensing for Division C, and I have a question regarding the rules.
For section ii, AKA "Interpretation of remote sensing images and data sets from the following satellites: (insert a bunch of satellite titles)", I have taken extensive notes for each satellite, but that's basically it. Do I need to put extremely detailed information for each satellite or is just the basic info good enough? The information I've already taken goes pretty in depth, like it's altitude or the amount of spectral bands for some of them. Of course, I have their functions and stuff as well. Or am I taking a completely wrong approach? I honestly can't tell anymore LOL
Questions about the satellites themselves are fairly common on tests, but the rules are referring to specific data sets that come from those satellites. A lot of data is available online for free if you wanna check it out.
MASON HIGH SCHOOL '18
knottingpurple
State: NJ

Post by knottingpurple »

Private Wang Fire wrote:
skiski wrote:I am new to Remote Sensing for Division C, and I have a question regarding the rules.
Questions about the satellites themselves are fairly common on tests, but the rules are referring to specific data sets that come from those satellites. A lot of data is available online for free if you wanna check it out.
Agreed, the rules in that part are specifically saying you have to interpret images and data, so although you will get plenty of questions on tests about altitude and other aspects like this (I've seen tests with, like, a whole stream of multiple choice questions where the options are the A-train satellites), for this particular part of the rules, what you want to do is practice looking at photos or other data from those satellites, trying to figure out what it shows, and then reading descriptions and other people's analysis to find out what you missed or got wrong. You can know all about the different spectral bands of a satellite in theory but it's very different to actually see an image composed of data from those bands, and so on.
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Is it Wein's Law, or Wien's Law? The rules spell it -ei-, but almost every source I've found has it -ie-.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by gneissisnice »

Alex-RCHS wrote:Is it Wein's Law, or Wien's Law? The rules spell it -ei-, but almost every source I've found has it -ie-.
I'm pretty sure it's Wien's Law, probably a typo in the rules.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
geniusjohn5

Post by geniusjohn5 »

I know this may be a really stupid question, but I'm an EXTREME newbie for this event. Can someone explain what bands are? :?
The biologist speculates, "What's the meaning of life?"
The physicist asks, "In the universe, does matter really matter?"
The chemist replies, "I shall find solutions to both questions."
whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by whythelongface »

geniusjohn5 wrote:I know this may be a really stupid question, but I'm an EXTREME newbie for this event. Can someone explain what bands are? :?
In spectroradiometry, a spectroradiometer is an instrument that measures the amount of incident spectral energy incident to the instrument. However, the instrument will measure the energy in only specific regions of the spectrum, termed "bands". For example, the Landsat Enhanced Thematic Mapper Plus (ETM+) measures in eight bands. Each of those bands represents a narrow range of the spectrum that detectors will detect radiation in.
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South/Grover for winning 2nd/1st place at NJ States!
knottingpurple

Post by knottingpurple »

whythelongface wrote:
geniusjohn5 wrote:I know this may be a really stupid question, but I'm an EXTREME newbie for this event. Can someone explain what bands are? :?
In spectroradiometry, a spectroradiometer is an instrument that measures the amount of incident spectral energy incident to the instrument. However, the instrument will measure the energy in only specific regions of the spectrum, termed "bands". For example, the Landsat Enhanced Thematic Mapper Plus (ETM+) measures in eight bands. Each of those bands represents a narrow range of the spectrum that detectors will detect radiation in.
Yep, just like how people's eyes only see the light wavelengths we refer to as "visible", an instrument on a satellite can also only detect certain wavelengths of light. It might have one detector for blue light, one for short-wave infrared light, etc, and each of those is a different band, telling us different information because different features on earth emit or reflect light of that wavelength.
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
geniusjohn5

Post by geniusjohn5 »

So does anybody have any tips for studying? Such as plans, what and how exactly to learn and study the material, what to use for my notes on test day, etc? I'm completely new to this event and I notice that I'm being BOMBARDED with a ton of information that's almost seems like a foreign language to me? If anyone could help, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
The biologist speculates, "What's the meaning of life?"
The physicist asks, "In the universe, does matter really matter?"
The chemist replies, "I shall find solutions to both questions."

Return to “2018 Study Events”