Remote Sensing C

geniusjohn5
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Remote Sensing C

Post by geniusjohn5 »

knottingpurple wrote:
geniusjohn5 wrote:Is there a difference between irradiance or radiant exitence or radiant flux? If so, can someone please explain?
I think radiant flux is a general term for radiation through a region, be that emitted by a surface, transmitted through the surface, reflected from the surface, etc, and radiant exitance is the radiant flux emitted by a region divided by the region's area, so to get the radiant flux emitted you would multiply by the area. Irradiance works the same way as radiant exitance - if you multiply irradiance by area you get total radiant flux - except that it's the radiant flux received, not the radiant flux emitted by the surface like radiant exitance is.

Is that followable?
Yup. I understood pretty much all of what you just said. Just one clarification: Irradiance multiplied by area = radiant flux RECEIVED and radiant exitance refers to radiant flux EMITTED?
The biologist speculates, "What's the meaning of life?"
The physicist asks, "In the universe, does matter really matter?"
The chemist replies, "I shall find solutions to both questions."
geniusjohn5

Post by geniusjohn5 »

Can someone explain how to do this question:

The total solar irradiance at the top of the atmosphere is 1360 W/m^2. How much solar radiation is reflected to balance the radiative energy from the atmosphere?

I misplaced my answer key so I don't even know the solution myself.
Alex-RCHS
Division: Grad
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

knottingpurple wrote:
geniusjohn5 wrote:Is there a difference between irradiance or radiant exitence or radiant flux? If so, can someone please explain?
I think radiant flux is a general term for radiation through a region, be that emitted by a surface, transmitted through the surface, reflected from the surface, etc, and radiant exitance is the radiant flux emitted by a region divided by the region's area, so to get the radiant flux emitted you would multiply by the area. Irradiance works the same way as radiant exitance - if you multiply irradiance by area you get total radiant flux - except that it's the radiant flux received, not the radiant flux emitted by the surface like radiant exitance is.

Is that followable?
To clarify, is radiant flux in units of Watts and radiant exitance in units of Watts/square meter?
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by whythelongface »

In physics, flux refers to energy passing through a surface per unit time. Radiant flux is radiant energy passing through an object per unit time, making it equivalent, in terms of units, to power.

Irradiance and radiant exitance both refer to flux passing through areas, although irradiance refers to incoming radiant flux incident on a surface and exitance refers to radiant flux leaving a surface. Both are in standard SI units, watts per meter squared.
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South/Grover for winning 2nd/1st place at NJ States!
geniusjohn5

Post by geniusjohn5 »

Has anyone encountered a question that asks you to label the components of a satellite? Generally, I don't think a question like this should show up on RemSen test but I just want to confirm whether or not.
Sleepy
State: PA

Post by Sleepy »

What is the difference between false color imaging and pseudo color imaging? I'm not understanding the difference very well upon searching google.
Stroudsburg HS '18
[size=80][u]MC Barons | Tiger | North Pocono | Regionals | States[/u]
Dynamic: 2 | 14 | 2 | 2 | 9
Remote: 9 | 18 | 2 | 1 | 8
Hydro: 11 | 18 | 3 | 2 | 2
Game On: 3 | 1 | 3 | 1 | 21[/size]
[size=80][u]North Pocono | Regionals | States[/u]
Dynamic: 1 | 2 | -
Remote: 2 | 1 | -
Game On: 3 | 4 | -[/size]
knottingpurple
State: NJ

Post by knottingpurple »

Sleepy wrote:What is the difference between false color imaging and pseudo color imaging? I'm not understanding the difference very well upon searching google.
False color is you assign different bands of light to R, G, and B in an image, it's just it's not red assigned to R, green assigned to G, and blue assigned to B. One of the most common types assigns NIR, R, G to R, G, B; but you could also do it with other types of light showing up as whatever color on the image.

Pseudo color, each color represents a different value within a certain variable - so, sea surface temperature, where you have a scale from, like, blue to red, for cool to warm, this is pseudo color. Rather than it being colors assigned to red, green and blue and the colors that are assigned are not the real ones, it's basically like an image going from black to white for low values to high values, except they use color to make it easier to tell.
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
sciolyPA
State: PA

Post by sciolyPA »

I have been asked several times, including on my Regional test, how many pixels are in this image. I don't have examples of this because it was on a Regional test, but can someone explain how you are supposed to be able to tell? (All the answer choices were low numbers, but I thought there were a lot of pixels in images)
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

sciolyPA wrote:I have been asked several times, including on my Regional test, how many pixels are in this image. I don't have examples of this because it was on a Regional test, but can someone explain how you are supposed to be able to tell? (All the answer choices were low numbers, but I thought there were a lot of pixels in images)
Count the "squares" in the image. Some example images may just be a grid of a few squares where each square represents one pixel
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Sign-up to compete in a nation-wide remote sensing competition! This competition IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH NATIONAL SCIENCE OLYMPIAD. The test materials will be sent to registered competitors by email, but all materials will publicly released eventually. Raw scores and rankings will be released.
The goal of this exam is for students across the nation to be able to compare their mastery of remote sensing with peers.
https://goo.gl/forms/8sOXDapoTd6xcBzL2

I will edit this post with a list of schools that are currently signed up. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage

Return to “2018 Study Events”