Remote Sensing C

knottingpurple
Division: Grad
State: NJ

Re: Remote Sensing C

Post by knottingpurple »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
whythelongface wrote:Remote is confirmed to be rotating out with Geologic Mapping I think, and Rocks and Minerals will once again be swapped by fossils. 'Tis a sad life.
Microbe Mission is being replaced :cry: By an event with a name that I absolutely DESPISE, no less.

Hmmm, to get back onto the topic of remsen. The rules are kind of unclear on what we need to know for satellites. Are detailed satellite info questions limited to these satellites?: GOES-16, Suomi NPP, TOPEX/Poseidon, Jason-1, Jason-3, OCO-2, CALIPSO, CloudSat, and Aura. Also, did I get the spelling/capitalization right on all of those? (I know that some satellites go through name changes)
I know I capitalize JASON a lot because it's an acronym for Joint Altimetry Satellite Oceanography Network, but I've definitely seen it not capitalized a lot so that's definitely acceptable, and perhaps even more advisable.
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
NilaiVemula
Division: C
State: TN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by NilaiVemula »

knottingpurple wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:
whythelongface wrote:Remote is confirmed to be rotating out with Geologic Mapping I think, and Rocks and Minerals will once again be swapped by fossils. 'Tis a sad life.
Microbe Mission is being replaced :cry: By an event with a name that I absolutely DESPISE, no less.

Hmmm, to get back onto the topic of remsen. The rules are kind of unclear on what we need to know for satellites. Are detailed satellite info questions limited to these satellites?: GOES-16, Suomi NPP, TOPEX/Poseidon, Jason-1, Jason-3, OCO-2, CALIPSO, CloudSat, and Aura. Also, did I get the spelling/capitalization right on all of those? (I know that some satellites go through name changes)
I know I capitalize JASON a lot because it's an acronym for Joint Altimetry Satellite Oceanography Network, but I've definitely seen it not capitalized a lot so that's definitely acceptable, and perhaps even more advisable.
Some tests will ask detailed questions on any A-Train satellite
White Station High School
2018: (Invitationals/Regionals/State/Nationals)
Hovercraft: (3/1/-/-)
Thermodynamics: (3/1/-/-)
Mission Possible: (4/2/-/-)
Remote Sensing: (1/1/-/-)
Microbe Mission: (1/1/-/-)
Dynamic Planet: (1/1/-/-)
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

NilaiVemula wrote:
knottingpurple wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote: Microbe Mission is being replaced :cry: By an event with a name that I absolutely DESPISE, no less.

Some tests will ask detailed questions on any A-Train satellite
Some tests will ask detailed questions about ANY satellite that has any relation to the topic (SST, etc). You have 8 pages of notes, might as well cover all of your bases and have all the data on anything thats ever come up on any test including last years topics. I know last year I had one full side of a sheet with data on every applicable satellite in size 3 font just in case
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
knottingpurple

Post by knottingpurple »

So I was reading eoPortal, as one does, and learnt CloudSat was moved out of the A-train on February 22nd. Do you think event supervisors will get around to updating their tests with this information, or will we still be expected to consider CloudSat as an A-train satellite?
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

knottingpurple wrote:So I was reading eoPortal, as one does, and learnt CloudSat was moved out of the A-train on February 22nd. Do you think event supervisors will get around to updating their tests with this information, or will we still be expected to consider CloudSat as an A-train satellite?
I think it depends on who is writing the test. College students would be more likely to update that kind of stuff than most test writers. If it's a free response, you could always briefly include the fact that CloudSat was on the A-train but was moved off on February 22nd, or even bring it up with the event supervisor after the test to make sure they don't grade anything incorrectly.

General question: is it worth putting the exact date and time of launch on our cheat sheet for this year's satellites? I've been doing it, but I've never been asked it.

Also: 300th post!
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Alex-RCHS wrote:briefly include the fact that CloudSat was on the A-train but was moved off
Agree with this
Alex-RCHS wrote:General question: is it worth putting the exact date and time of launch on our cheat sheet for this year's satellites? I've been doing it, but I've never been asked it.
I have been asked it
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Justin72835
State: TX

Post by Justin72835 »

I have a few random (if not basic) questions:

1) How can you tell images from the NPP instruments CrIS and ATMS apart? Googling images for those instruments yields similar-looking results, as only images detailing sea-surface temperatures come up.

2) What do the blank white spots on remote sensing images represent? I'm pretty those spots represent areas outside the coverage of the satellite but I just want to make sure of this.
"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings."

University of Texas at Austin '23
Seven Lakes High School '19
whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by whythelongface »

Justin72835 wrote:I have a few random (if not basic) questions:

1) How can you tell images from the NPP instruments CrIS and ATMS apart? Googling images for those instruments yields similar-looking results, as only images detailing sea-surface temperatures come up.

2) What do the blank white spots on remote sensing images represent? I'm pretty those spots represent areas outside the coverage of the satellite but I just want to make sure of this.
1) Generally speaking, I don't think you would have to. They basically complement each other anyway (working in different spectral regions but integrated into one system, the CrIMSS).
2) Generally, yes.
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South/Grover for winning 2nd/1st place at NJ States!
geniusjohn5
Division: C

Post by geniusjohn5 »

Is there a difference between irradiance or radiant exitence or radiant flux? If so, can someone please explain?
The biologist speculates, "What's the meaning of life?"
The physicist asks, "In the universe, does matter really matter?"
The chemist replies, "I shall find solutions to both questions."
knottingpurple

Post by knottingpurple »

geniusjohn5 wrote:Is there a difference between irradiance or radiant exitence or radiant flux? If so, can someone please explain?
I think radiant flux is a general term for radiation through a region, be that emitted by a surface, transmitted through the surface, reflected from the surface, etc, and radiant exitance is the radiant flux emitted by a region divided by the region's area, so to get the radiant flux emitted you would multiply by the area. Irradiance works the same way as radiant exitance - if you multiply irradiance by area you get total radiant flux - except that it's the radiant flux received, not the radiant flux emitted by the surface like radiant exitance is.

Is that followable?

Return to “2018 Study Events”