dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Road Scholar B

Post by dxu46 »

z.zihao04 wrote:Ok, so which parts of the event are we allowed to use the notes in the 3-ring binder we can bring. On the rules, it says "along with one three-ring binder of any size containing a USGS Map Symbol Sheet and other information in any form and from any source, attached using the available rings. The information may be removed during the event." So I'm not sure which part we can use our notes
Well, you are given the whole test to do in one block, so who's going to stop you from using your binder? You're allowed to use it in any part of the event, although it will be more useful in some areas then others..
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Anomaly »

If for a competition, we had maps from one of the states that doesn't use PLSS, will we get questions on the system that they do use (ex: metes and bounds)?
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now
Fanglin
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Fanglin »

Anomaly wrote:If for a competition, we had maps from one of the states that doesn't use PLSS, will we get questions on the system that they do use (ex: metes and bounds)?
I think all states use UTM, and longitude/latitude (obviously), but nothing more.
Problems are better pursued with General Electric GE90-115 engines.

2016 Nats:
Road Scholar:4th 8-)
Bottle Rockets: 9th
Meteorology: 11th
Gliders: 21st

(other events: Green Gen, Crime Busters, Helicopters, Hovercraft, Air trajectory)

Former Cheesehead
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Anomaly wrote:If for a competition, we had maps from one of the states that doesn't use PLSS, will we get questions on the system that they do use (ex: metes and bounds)?
Getting a couple conceptual questions about metes and bounds or other systems is not out of the question (especially if you live in a state that uses them) but the questions likely wouldn't be at the same depth of UTM or PLSS.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Emna

Post by Emna »

Fanglin wrote:
dxu46 wrote:
drcubbin wrote:We have quite a selection of previously used Road Scholar maps which we are attempting to match up with past tests. We have been going through the questions on the past test for any indicators of what specific map was used. But aside from this "peck and hunt" method, does anyone have a method of gathering matching materials for this event?
Well, you can always order the maps online, and most tests should have the maps listed right at the start of the test. If the tests aren't major reg/state/nats tests, then they may not follow that format, but what are you going to do? I'd say just start the test without maps, then when the questions ask for them, find them.
The only proper way to prepare is to just practice. Have a database of maps/tests, and complete practice tests both at home (alone) and with your partner. Time yourself, and limit your partner practices to 50 minutes.
Make sure you are able to do all three sections of the event (Topo, Road, and Profile/drawing), but be able to divide and conquer with your partner (the only way to actually finish the test in time). The tests are usually 50% topo, 25% road and 25% profile/drawing. Split up the work by section with your partner as described earlier.
Make sure you have proper map tools on hand. I can suggest the following, but others work.
24:000 topo ruler: (meters, miles, minutes, seconds)
https://www.maptools.com/product/Ruler24
24:000 UTM grid tool
https://www.maptools.com/product/UTMGrid24
Good map compass (with arm):
http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/produ ... 22&redir=Y
The best topo map key online:
https://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/TopographicMa ... ymbols.pdf
I would also suggest you bring in 2 meter/yard rulers primarily to have a dependable straight edge for measuring longitude. A piece of string is useful for measuring winding lengths such as a road or stream. (measure length with string, and place string up against scale chart).
I used all of these at Nationals two years back, and I highly recommend these. Other than the obvious (binder, pencils, calculator), these are all you really need.
Good luck!
Do you recommend sharing tools with your partner or getting tools for each person?
Fanglin
State: CA

Post by Fanglin »

Emna wrote: Do you recommend sharing tools with your partner or getting tools for each person?
I would have a set for each team. More if you plan for each student to be practicing at home.
Problems are better pursued with General Electric GE90-115 engines.

2016 Nats:
Road Scholar:4th 8-)
Bottle Rockets: 9th
Meteorology: 11th
Gliders: 21st

(other events: Green Gen, Crime Busters, Helicopters, Hovercraft, Air trajectory)

Former Cheesehead
Pettywap

Post by Pettywap »

What states use PLSS? (specifically PA)
"Who's Fettywap?"
Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Pettywap wrote:What states use PLSS? (specifically PA)
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
z.zihao04

Post by z.zihao04 »

Hey, this is my first year doing Road Scholar, what type of notes should I bring to the competition? Currently, I just have a topographic symbol sheet. :D
Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

z.zihao04 wrote:Hey, this is my first year doing Road Scholar, what type of notes should I bring to the competition? Currently, I just have a topographic symbol sheet. :D
Last year, my team brought a binder that had a lot of information in it, plus a ruler and a protractor. We had notes explaining how to do numerous equations (like finding coordinates), and that helped a lot.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.

Return to “2018 Study Events”