dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Road Scholar B

Post by dxu46 »

lamppost wrote:Just got this event assigned to me yesterday and regionals is in two days...best way to cram-study in the next 48 hours?
Check the wiki, but aside from the normal new-event stuff, the only way to really get good is to practice using real maps. Also make a binder so you aren't totally lost. Remember to bring string, an azimuth, a calculator, and ruler.
lamppost
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by lamppost »

dxu46 wrote:
lamppost wrote:Just got this event assigned to me yesterday and regionals is in two days...best way to cram-study in the next 48 hours?
Check the wiki, but aside from the normal new-event stuff, the only way to really get good is to practice using real maps. Also make a binder so you aren't totally lost. Remember to bring string, an azimuth, a calculator, and ruler.
Alright-thanks!
what is going on
rainbowunicorns
Division: B

Post by rainbowunicorns »

Do any of you have any useful sites on UTM? I’m trying to figure out how to find the UTM on a topo map but find it fairly confusing...
We have this clear square thing that’s divided into sections that’s supposed to help us find the UTM, but I have no idea how to use it.
PANDA :P
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dxu46 »

rainbowunicorns wrote:Do any of you have any useful sites on UTM? I’m trying to figure out how to find the UTM on a topo map but find it fairly confusing...
We have this clear square thing that’s divided into sections that’s supposed to help us find the UTM, but I have no idea how to use it.
So locate the local UTM lines. They should be like (example) 546, with the extra zeros omitted. Measure from the closest line to your point, both S-N and W-E. Record length, mm. Measure the length of one Square. Divide the distance by the length, both ways, then multiply both by 1000. Add that to whatever line you measured from, and you have your UTM values.
Fanglin
State: CA

Post by Fanglin »

rainbowunicorns wrote:Do any of you have any useful sites on UTM? I’m trying to figure out how to find the UTM on a topo map but find it fairly confusing...
Think of it like this:

You have your UTM tool right? You'll notice that it is split up into a 10x10 square. Now, Each small square is 100meters x 100meters, meaning the entire square is 1000meters x 1000meters. Not that complicated right?

Now, How are we going to use this to find coordinates on the map?
UTM is split into regions throughout the US, similar to the PLSS system, if you've ever seen that. There is a regional Equator and Meridian for each region (North and South lines of 0), and you can progress N,S,E,and W of this point, similar to longitude and latitude. Now, instead of measuring in degrees or minutes or such, UTM is measured in meters N,S,E or W of the meridians, so a fairly large number right?

If you look at your map, you will see numerous small numbers on the edges of the map. They look like 1-3 numbers subscripted, followed by two more numbers in regular font. It will look something like this: 3450 (except for the 34 would be up instead of down)
You'll see it for sure.

Now, this number tells us the distance from the 0 line; Equator if on the left or right sides of the map, and Meridian if on the top or bottom sides of the map. You also may notice, that on some maps, there is a black grid laid out in accordance to these numbers, but not all.
The next thing you may notice, is that each of these lines (or boxes on the grid) line up perfectly with your UTM tool, meaning the distance between each tick is 1000meters! Now, Keep in mind that these numbers aren't 1000 numbers apart in value, for every 1000m north south east or west of this mark, the number only changes by one.
This is because the UTM number on your map only goes down to the thousands place. If you want to express that value in meters, you must add three digits following those on the map, (Or simply follow each tick by 000 to get to individual meters). Using our example of 3450, we can decode this to be 3,450,000meters. Lets say this value was found along the top (and bottom) sides of the map, and the numbers were increasing as you moved west. This means that the 3450 value is 3,450,000meters West of the Meridian.
This is how you would write your UTM values.

If it asks you to find the UTM coordinates of a point within the map, this is where your tool comes into play. Align your tool with the UTM grid (You may have to "Make" one if the map doesn't have one), and then use the UTM tool to split your UTM square into 100meter intervals. This is fairly accurate as you may notice. Now, Add or subtract this hundreds value to the number on the edge (Remember to add 000 to those values), and indicate wether this UTM value is North South East or West of the Meridian or Equator it pertains to. An Example UTM coordinate looks like this:

3,450,460m W 3450 + your tool measurement (In this case 460 more meters West)
631,960m N 631 + your tool measurement (In this case, 960 more meters North)
Problems are better pursued with General Electric GE90-115 engines.

2016 Nats:
Road Scholar:4th 8-)
Bottle Rockets: 9th
Meteorology: 11th
Gliders: 21st

(other events: Green Gen, Crime Busters, Helicopters, Hovercraft, Air trajectory)

Former Cheesehead
Fanglin
State: CA

Re: Road Scholar B or Rocks & Minerals

Post by Fanglin »

Just scroll back through this Road Scholar Thread, Myself and some other people have left a decent amount of information about the event, and what to bring/study etc...
Problems are better pursued with General Electric GE90-115 engines.

2016 Nats:
Road Scholar:4th 8-)
Bottle Rockets: 9th
Meteorology: 11th
Gliders: 21st

(other events: Green Gen, Crime Busters, Helicopters, Hovercraft, Air trajectory)

Former Cheesehead
rainbowunicorns

Thank you @dxu46 and @Fanglin. This makes so much more sense now!
rainbowunicorns

Does anyone have any more current tests that they could share?
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dxu46 »

rainbowunicorns wrote:Does anyone have any more current tests that they could share?
I have two tests that I made, but I don't know if they are any good. Also you can buy the previous national tests on the soinc store.
rainbowunicorns

dxu46 wrote:
rainbowunicorns wrote:Does anyone have any more current tests that they could share?
I have two tests that I made, but I don't know if they are any good. Also you can buy the previous national tests on the soinc store.
Okay! Do you mind sharing your tests with me? PM?

Return to “2018 Study Events”